The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
(25-09-2016 03:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 03:03 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Stupid is as stupid does. Like anti-lock brakes, air-bags etc a false sense of safety is easy for some to develop.

My training and experience taught me to assume the worst can happen and be prepared at all times. Plan ahead, think ahead, look ahead.

Agree....

A "safe" motorcycle is a garaged one......
Oh, forgot: "and assume every other road user is a total dipshit who either cannot drive, thinks they are the best driver alive or assumes that every other driver has their 'superb reflexes' and can read their minds."

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Gloucester's post
25-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Ever heard of mitigating risk?

Since when is wisdom a dichotomy?

I sense an axe that needs grinding.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Is it such an inconvenience to put a helmet on?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-09-2016, 03:18 PM
(25-09-2016 03:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 03:05 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Blink

If you don't want your skull to be more protected than it would be otherwise, alrighty then.

If you truly wish your skull safe - take a bus.......

The helmet is just an excuse to partake in a very dangerous activity....

A rubber is just an an excuse to partake in potentially dangerous activity... if having to chase mini-humes for two decades before releasing them into the wild is considered dangerous. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

25-09-2016, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 04:29 PM by onlinebiker.)
(25-09-2016 03:12 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ever heard of mitigating risk?

No......

I've been told I was stupid, for "riding without a helmet".. …

I'm just pointing out that the " wearing a helmet" part is inconsequential.......

Look at it this way --- which is safer? Jumping off a 9 story building ornjumping off a 10 story building???

Admittedly - jumping off the 9.

But - isn't not jumping at all far more so?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-09-2016, 03:34 PM
I find I'm often on the same page you are on, OLB...but this time you kind of lost me. Safety isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. For instance, I skydive. I also wear a reserve chute. By your logic, I am stupidly trying to make a dangerous activity safe...yet I have had to cut away and deploy my reserve twice in nearly 5000 jumps, if I hadn't worn a reserve I'd be dead..twice!
I have had two serious motorcycle accidents, in about 33 years of riding on the street. In the first, an idiot pulled right out in front of me on a busy 2 lane road, and I had nowhere to go. I dropped the bike, fell on top of it, and slid into the side of the idiots car. I had some burns from the bike exhaust and my helmet was destroyed...that would have been my head.
In the second, Texas had passed an optional helmet law. I usually rode with one, in town anyway, but I was hit and miss with it.
I ended up picking up a good friend whose car had croaked, and we went out to play, shooting pool and raising hell. I gave him the only helmet I had with me.
Later that night we had a run in, at 70 mph, with a bunch of deer. We ended up pretty screwed- I had to have my entire lower jaw rebuilt with steel, among other things, and he broke his back and ended up in a body cast.
The doctor said if I had had the helmet, I would probably be dead or paralyzed. My jaw crushed, relieving the impact force to my neck, so I only ended up with a hairline fracture of my upper spine. A Helmet would have held it's shape better, transferring more energy to my upper spine and probably snapping it.
My friend landed flat on his back on rocks, at 70 mph. He basically slid on his head. My fancy helmet was in ribbons- but his head was untouched.

So...go figure. Nothing is a guarantee, but minimizing risk is a good thing. I believe you have the right to risk your life if you want to, because I believe in true freedom...but don't try to make it something grander than that. A LOT of guys survive motorcycle accidents who wouldn't if they hadn't been wearing helmets, take it from an ex cop and EMT.
[+] 5 users Like The Dark One's post
25-09-2016, 03:35 PM
No, you were called stupid for being fucking stupid. The helmet was just a framing device.

[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
25-09-2016, 03:35 PM

I think the OP was against complacency rather than against safety.

A helmet might mitigate against severe head damage but if the expectation of that causes a drop in driving standards . . .

Safety is, basically, a state of mind. The good rider without a helmet may be safer than the dipstick wearing one,

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-09-2016, 03:49 PM
(25-09-2016 03:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  

The good rider without a helmet may be safer than the dipstick wearing one,

The insurance company doesn't care.

25-09-2016, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 03:53 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
People will find anything to boost their egos. Laugh out load

"Look at me, I'm so tough for not wearing a helmet!" Laugh out load