The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
And some guys "suit up" to go play road warrior.......

There's all sorts of delusions out there, huh??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 04:27 PM by Gloucester.)
(25-09-2016 03:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 03:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  The good rider without a helmet may be safer than the dipstick wearing one,

The insurance company doesn't care.
Actually, if it came to a bill for medical treatment they might just care. The above dipstick might be better off.

OLB, could you reiterate please. Is your case one against helmets, per se, or against the complacency, the false sense of safety, that the wearing of a helmet might engender in the rider's mind?

In comparison to cars motorcycles are, inherently, many times more unsafe to their riders. Anything that encourages complacency in the mind of that rider multiplies that factor.

Unfortunately the world's best motorcyclist wearing the world's most superior safety gear can still fall victim to any dipshit road user within striking range. Or even further away if there is consequential evasive action by others.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
25-09-2016, 04:25 PM
(25-09-2016 03:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I find I'm often on the same page you are on, OLB...but this time you kind of lost me. Safety isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. For instance, I skydive. I also wear a reserve chute. By your logic, I am stupidly trying to make a dangerous activity safe...yet I have had to cut away and deploy my reserve twice in nearly 5000 jumps, if I hadn't worn a reserve I'd be dead..twice!
I have had two serious motorcycle accidents, in about 33 years of riding on the street. In the first, an idiot pulled right out in front of me on a busy 2 lane road, and I had nowhere to go. I dropped the bike, fell on top of it, and slid into the side of the idiots car. I had some burns from the bike exhaust and my helmet was destroyed...that would have been my head.
In the second, Texas had passed an optional helmet law. I usually rode with one, in town anyway, but I was hit and miss with it.
I ended up picking up a good friend whose car had croaked, and we went out to play, shooting pool and raising hell. I gave him the only helmet I had with me.
Later that night we had a run in, at 70 mph, with a bunch of deer. We ended up pretty screwed- I had to have my entire lower jaw rebuilt with steel, among other things, and he broke his back and ended up in a body cast.
The doctor said if I had had the helmet, I would probably be dead or paralyzed. My jaw crushed, relieving the impact force to my neck, so I only ended up with a hairline fracture of my upper spine. A Helmet would have held it's shape better, transferring more energy to my upper spine and probably snapping it.
My friend landed flat on his back on rocks, at 70 mph. He basically slid on his head. My fancy helmet was in ribbons- but his head was untouched.

So...go figure. Nothing is a guarantee, but minimizing risk is a good thing. I believe you have the right to risk your life if you want to, because I believe in true freedom...but don't try to make it something grander than that. A LOT of guys survive motorcycle accidents who wouldn't if they hadn't been wearing helmets, take it from an ex cop and EMT.

If the first motorcycle EVER was built yesterday - they'd never be allowed to be sold to the public. They are THAT dangerous. (The same argument holds for all tobacco products.)

It just seems disingenuous to me to pretend to be concerned about safety whilst doing something inherently dangerous........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-09-2016, 04:44 PM
(25-09-2016 04:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 03:34 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I find I'm often on the same page you are on, OLB...but this time you kind of lost me. Safety isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. For instance, I skydive. I also wear a reserve chute. By your logic, I am stupidly trying to make a dangerous activity safe...yet I have had to cut away and deploy my reserve twice in nearly 5000 jumps, if I hadn't worn a reserve I'd be dead..twice!
I have had two serious motorcycle accidents, in about 33 years of riding on the street. In the first, an idiot pulled right out in front of me on a busy 2 lane road, and I had nowhere to go. I dropped the bike, fell on top of it, and slid into the side of the idiots car. I had some burns from the bike exhaust and my helmet was destroyed...that would have been my head.
In the second, Texas had passed an optional helmet law. I usually rode with one, in town anyway, but I was hit and miss with it.
I ended up picking up a good friend whose car had croaked, and we went out to play, shooting pool and raising hell. I gave him the only helmet I had with me.
Later that night we had a run in, at 70 mph, with a bunch of deer. We ended up pretty screwed- I had to have my entire lower jaw rebuilt with steel, among other things, and he broke his back and ended up in a body cast.
The doctor said if I had had the helmet, I would probably be dead or paralyzed. My jaw crushed, relieving the impact force to my neck, so I only ended up with a hairline fracture of my upper spine. A Helmet would have held it's shape better, transferring more energy to my upper spine and probably snapping it.
My friend landed flat on his back on rocks, at 70 mph. He basically slid on his head. My fancy helmet was in ribbons- but his head was untouched.

So...go figure. Nothing is a guarantee, but minimizing risk is a good thing. I believe you have the right to risk your life if you want to, because I believe in true freedom...but don't try to make it something grander than that. A LOT of guys survive motorcycle accidents who wouldn't if they hadn't been wearing helmets, take it from an ex cop and EMT.

It just seems disingenuous to me to pretend to be concerned about safety whilst doing something inherently dangerous........

[Image: NJdxSsx.jpg]

Yeah. It makes more sense to revoke the street legality of motorcycles then to force people to wear Jart helmets at all tines.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-09-2016, 05:03 PM
I never wore a helmet with the thought of protecting my head...sounds weird, doesn't it?
I've owned a few Harleys and just don't care for 'em. I have been a GSXR/'BUSA guy for a long time, and a KZ1000 cat before that. I tricked 'em out, turboed, nitroused, re-engined...one of my favorite mods to do was a GSXR 1100 engine on a 600 Katana frame, with the full body kit made for that conversion by Lightspeed. Crazy fast bike, too much fun. I figured if I ever fucked up while out playing, all they'd find would be a patch of grease that smelled like Old Spice, anyway, helmet or no helmet.

I wore the helmet so I could SEE. At 170 mph, the full face helmet with the tinted visor definitely made me a safer rider, because I had a full field of view, and could look around and over my shoulder without fear that my Ray Bans would end up in the county behind me. It also calmed the wind down past my ears, so I could hear the screams of my passengers better.

Plus, I wired 'em for headphones, before bluetooth helmets came out, and velcroed a walkman or discman to the top of the tank. Cranking up some heavy metal while peg scraping on a twisty hill country road was ALIVE, brother.
25-09-2016, 05:36 PM
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Does this make the helmet wearer "smarter" than the guy who doesn't wear one?

Answer. - no.

Why?

Because wearing a helmet makes it safer, but not safe.

Even wearing a helmet, you are still 26 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car...(you have Google - look it up your own damned self).

Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

Or - playing Russian roulette is safer with one bullet instead of two......

So if getting a thrill and risking your life is the object - isn't wearing a helmet like taking a shower in a raincoat?

Or - are you purposely misleading yourself into thinking motorcycles are a safe hobby???

I've got 35 years of riding that says otherwise.....

I know a guy on another forum who claims to be a Libertarian, who pushes wearing of helmets and how the laws should be strengthened and finally someone else pointed out that that guy has a motorcycle shop and sells helmets. That is basically how I have found most Libertarians to be. I don't wear one when I don't have to. The above mentioned person claims he can hear better and see better with a helmet on his head! Quite a few years ago 30,000 of us rode to Tallahassee Florida and dumped our helmets on the state house lawn. And rode home without them. It took just a couple of weeks to get the helmet law dropped there and then. My attitude is if I go down at 60 miles an hour 100 kilometers I am dead whether my brains will be wrapped in a shiny plastic package or not!
25-09-2016, 06:07 PM
And risk getting permanent brain damage where it would have otherwise been avoidable?
Yea no thanks, I'll stick to wearing my helmet.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
25-09-2016, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 11:14 PM by EvolutionKills.)
For fuck's sake dude.

You're safer with a helmet, not just for yourself, but to everyone else around you.

Road debri? Large bugs and stones or gravel kicked up by other vehicles? Far less likely to make you lose control with a hit to the head while wearing a helmet than not wearing one. If you lose control of your bike in such a situation, you don't just endanger yourself, you endanger others around you. It's the same reason you should always wear your seat belt when driving, because it is possible to be in a situation where you could lose control of your vehicles because you couldn't maintain your position (started to slide, requiring you to use the wheel to hold yourself instead of correcting the vehicle).

I live in the north east, I've been in situations where I have lost control of my vehicles in snow, but was able to correct it because I myself wasn't flying around inside my car; I wore my damn seat belt. Last November a meth head hit me from behind in a pickup truck, smashing myself and my motorcycle into the car stopped in front of me. I managed to walk out the hospital the next day, and got clean bill of health from a neurologist a month later. I had a few hours of memory loss, severe bruises along my chest and thighs, a smashed bike, a broken helmet to show for it. The full face helmet most likely saved my from more permanent and sever brain trauma or damage, and might even have saved my life.

Don't act like 'safer' is a fucking dirty word. 'Safer' has saved my life, on multiple occasions. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-09-2016, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2016 09:49 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(25-09-2016 04:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If the first motorcycle EVER was built yesterday - they'd never be allowed to be sold to the public. They are THAT dangerous. (The same argument holds for all tobacco products.)

As opposed to what, firearms? They are, unlike motorcycles, designed to fucking kill!

If wearing a helmet is stupid, then so is wearing safety glasses and earmuffs at the range. So is checking that your magazine is empty and there is no round in the chamber before cleaning your gun... Facepalm

Behold! The intelligence of ignoring reasonable safety precautions!

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-09-2016, 11:08 PM
(25-09-2016 06:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And risk getting permanent brain damage where it would have otherwise been avoidable?
Yea no thanks, I'll stick to wearing my helmet.

One might say that that wasn't a risk... Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post