The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 11:12 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
Meh, I wore a cup playing football. And when I was able to bicycle, I learnt the hard way that a helmet can be useful even at those slower speeds. If I rode a motorcycle, I'd wear a helmet ... gotta protect the goods. If it kills me with a neck-break, better that than living as a 'tater, I reckon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 05:35 AM
How did I know somebody would bring guns up????

Amazing....

Now -- go back and read the OP -- the first sentence -- and read it several times........

"Safer" isn't synonymous with safe.

"Gee -- I only use a fresh needle when I shoot up heroin --- so I'm being smart- right?????"

THIS is the crux of "the stupid" of helmets...........

It's a fresh needle.............

Any perception you have that you're making yourself "safe" is simply self-deception so you can justify doing something dangerous.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-09-2016, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 06:14 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-09-2016 05:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How did I know somebody would bring guns up????

Amazing....

Now -- go back and read the OP -- the first sentence -- and read it several times........

"Gee -- I only use a fresh needle when I shoot up heroin --- so I'm being smart- right?????"

Any perception you have that you're making yourself "safe" is simply self-deception so you can justify doing something dangerous.

So the concept of mitigating risk is entirely lost on you? And you don't get analogies?

Great, that doesn't make it stupid, it means you're an idiot.

Get drunk, ride you bike at 100mph at night in moose country. Keep rolling those dice because it's already so dangerous, doing anything less would be stupid, right? Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-09-2016, 06:34 AM
(26-09-2016 06:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 05:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How did I know somebody would bring guns up????

Amazing....

So the concept of mitigating risk is entirely lost on you? And you don't get analogies?

Great, that doesn't make it stupid, it means you're an idiot.

Get drunk, ride you bike at 100mph at night in moose country. Keep rolling those dice because it's already so dangerous, doing anything less would be stupid, right? Facepalm

Not much on logic there, huh???

You don't see ANY other way to more effectively "mitigate the risk"????

Sticking your head in a bucket (literally and figuratively) is the only thing on your playlist, huh???

And be honest -- the guns stuff is a sorry attempt at making it personal....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Helmets are mandatory in the UK when I was 17 I was hit by a car and skidded along the road with my helmeted head in constant contact with the edge of the kerb, had I not been wearing a full face helmet I would have been at best horribly disfigured and at worse dead.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
26-09-2016, 07:57 AM
(26-09-2016 07:52 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Helmets are mandatory in the UK when I was 17 I was hit by a car and skidded along the road with my helmeted head in constant contact with the edge of the kerb, had I not been wearing a full face helmet I would have been at best horribly disfigured and at worse dead.

We could trade anecdotes all day. Not that it would mean much. I've been in 3 major accidents and the helmet never did me any good. I've also had three friends killed wearing helmets.

But again, this isn't the point of this post.

26-09-2016, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 08:37 AM by Loom.)

Not a motorcycle I know, but skateboarding is also an inherently dangerous activity. Yet people still partake in this risky sport, because it's fun and thrilling, and had this guy not been wearing a helmet, he'd probably be a vegetable right now or dead.

Of course riding motorcycles is dangerous. So is skateboarding, skiing, bike riding, mountain climbing, sky diving, scuba diving, etc etc. All fun, but dangerous acttivities that carry all sort of risks. There's nothing wrong in trying to mitigate some of the danger by wearing appropriate equipment.

Of course you can still wind up dead. That can happen no matter what precautions you take. But you're also more likely to have your skull intact if you smashed it against the pavement like this guy here.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
26-09-2016, 09:13 AM
I go paragliding. Paragliding is an extremely fun sport that is easy to become obsessive about, it's dangerous as well. No matter what I or anyone else does, it won't ever be safe. But as has already been mentioned on this thread it's about mitigating risk. The riskier the activity the more effort you need to reduce those risks. We wear helmets. We have a reserve parachute. We have airbags on our paragliding harnesses in case we drop close to the ground. We get site briefings when flying somewhere new. We perform NOTAMS when flying mid-week to avoid being sucked into a military jet engine etc. All this adds weight to the equipment. I could walk up with a pack that weighs significantly less if I didn't fly with a helmet, didn't have a reserve and had the lightest harness possible without an airbag.

I also go scuba diving which has a similar approach. Over time, these reduce the number of accidents that happen.

It's not an all or nothing. If that's what you want then stay in bed.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-09-2016, 09:42 AM
(25-09-2016 03:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 03:03 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Stupid is as stupid does. Like anti-lock brakes, air-bags etc a false sense of safety is easy for some to develop.

My training and experience taught me to assume the worst can happen and be prepared at all times. Plan ahead, think ahead, look ahead.

Agree....

A "safe" motorcycle is a garaged one......

Or a sold one!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
26-09-2016, 11:22 AM
(26-09-2016 05:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Safer" isn't synonymous with safe.

Do you wear shoes? They're also protective devices developed to reduce the likelihood of injuries.

Do you use the safety on your guns? Those too are protective devices developed to reduce the likelihood of injuries or death.

Do you wear a life-vest when boating? Those too are protective devices developed to reduce the likelihood of death.

None of those represent perfect protection from danger, yet only a fool would pass them up for that reason alone. I believe the phrase I'm looking for is, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

You don't want to wear a helmet, great, have at it. Calling others "stupid" for not sharing your opinion is childish and short-sighted.

You'd probably learn a lot more if you stopped thinking you know so much.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post