The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
I have only experienced riding a human-powered bicycle, not a motorcycle -- and there is admittedly an important difference, in that the average speed on a bicycle is much less (although I have been over 50 mph going down hills).

Having said that, though, I have been in 2 serious accidents while riding my bicycle. In the first one, a car hit me from behind (she wasn't looking where she was going -- probably texting). My helmeted head put a hole in her windshield. In the second one, my front fork broke (on both sides) while I was going down a hill at about 25 mph, pitching me onto the road. Along with a collarbone broken in 2 places and ribs broken in 11 places (they said they usually only see these kinds of injuries in motorcycle accidents, hint hint), I also had a concussion.

"What if" is a guessing game, but I have to think that in both cases, my injuries would have been more severe (and perhaps fatal) had I not been wearing a helmet. Note that my bike-handling skills and reflexes are reasonably good, and neither accident was my fault, so these accidents were basically unavoidable (except by not riding a bike at all, and that's not an option for me -- without a car, the bike is my basic transportation).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Im sorry but I am perplexed as to why anybody would wish not to wear a helmet.

So I understand your point about mitigating risk on an otherwise very dangerous vehicle, but that cant be the only reason, surely?

Other than the risk factor you have mentioned onlineb, can you give any other practical reasons as to why not wearing a helmet is an option?

Does it mess your hair up?
Do you feel that you look cooler/braver/harder without one?
Or something else entirely?

Would you yourself wear a seatbelt and make your children wear one, or is that something different as well?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
26-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Saw a guy just today riding his motorcycle wearing his leathers...his hairless head feeling the breeze....

He exited the freeway in front of me...he was listening to music super fucking loud and singing along at the top of his lungs....

Styx...Babe.

Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-09-2016, 01:16 PM
(26-09-2016 01:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Saw a guy just today riding his motorcycle wearing his leathers...his hairless head feeling the breeze....

He exited the freeway in front of me...he was listening to music super fucking loud and singing along at the top of his lungs....

Styx...Babe.

Facepalm

My conclusion from this is that people who don't wear helmets have bad taste in music.

Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
26-09-2016, 02:38 PM
A biker listening to Styx ... kind like an alligator sipping Earl Grey.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 02:51 PM
(26-09-2016 02:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A biker listening to Styx ... kind like an alligator sipping Earl Grey.

Listening wouldn't be so bad....it was the singing along....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-09-2016, 03:37 PM
(26-09-2016 02:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 02:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A biker listening to Styx ... kind like an alligator sipping Earl Grey.

Listening wouldn't be so bad....it was the singing along....

"Babe, I'm leavin', I must be on my way" -- VROOM VROOM -- "I'll be missin' yew" -- spit --VROOOOM
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-09-2016, 03:48 PM
(26-09-2016 12:40 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im sorry but I am perplexed as to why anybody would wish not to wear a helmet.

So I understand your point about mitigating risk on an otherwise very dangerous vehicle, but that cant be the only reason, surely?

Other than the risk factor you have mentioned onlineb, can you give any other practical reasons as to why not wearing a helmet is an option?

Does it mess your hair up?
Do you feel that you look cooler/braver/harder without one?
Or something else entirely?

Would you yourself wear a seatbelt and make your children wear one, or is that something different as well?

No.. I don' t wear a helmet. And yes - I am indeed safer than you riding with one.

And, you will look truely silly arguing otherwise.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-09-2016, 04:18 PM
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

Or - playing Russian roulette is safer with one bullet instead of two......
Don't quite understand your point.

It is safer to ride with a helmet rather than without one. No one has said that wearing a helmet makes you invincible.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-09-2016, 05:20 PM
(26-09-2016 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 07:52 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Helmets are mandatory in the UK when I was 17 I was hit by a car and skidded along the road with my helmeted head in constant contact with the edge of the kerb, had I not been wearing a full face helmet I would have been at best horribly disfigured and at worse dead.

We could trade anecdotes all day. Not that it would mean much. I've been in 3 major accidents and the helmet never did me any good. I've also had three friends killed wearing helmets.

But again, this isn't the point of this post.
I guess its luck of the draw a lot of the time