The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
(26-09-2016 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been in 3 major accidents and the helmet never did me any good. I've also had three friends killed wearing helmets.
My dad reckons smoking doesn't give you lung cancer.
His reasoning is that there are people who smoke all day, every day who live long lives and don't get lung cancer and there are people that never smoke and do get lung cancer.

What he doesn't understand, is that there are no guarantees. Not all smokers get lung cancer and not all lung cancer victims are smokers. Noone claims these things.

But, if you are a smoker you are much more likely to get lung cancer.

Now if you are in an accident and if you hit your head, you are better off having worn a helmet. Not all people who ride bicycles have accidents, not all people who have accidents hit their heads. Not all people who hit their heads get brain injuries.

Also, people who ride bicycles or motorbikes , those that wear helmets, they can die too.

I think the argument that onlinebiker is making is just out of stubborness really.
But, I personally don't care if onlinebiker wears a helmet or not. It's his choice, his consequences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
26-09-2016, 10:54 PM
(26-09-2016 05:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 07:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been in 3 major accidents and the helmet never did me any good. I've also had three friends killed wearing helmets.
My dad reckons smoking doesn't give you lung cancer.
His reasoning is that there are people who smoke all day, every day who live long lives and don't get lung cancer and there are people that never smoke and do get lung cancer.

What he doesn't understand, is that there are no guarantees. Not all smokers get lung cancer and not all lung cancer victims are smokers. Noone claims these things.

But, if you are a smoker you are much more likely to get lung cancer.

Now if you are in an accident and if you hit your head, you are better off having worn a helmet. Not all people who ride bicycles have accidents, not all people who have accidents hit their heads. Not all people who hit their heads get brain injuries.

Also, people who ride bicycles or motorbikes , those that wear helmets, they can die too.

I think the argument that onlinebiker is making is just out of stubborness really.
But, I personally don't care if onlinebiker wears a helmet or not. It's his choice, his consequences.

A helmet is like a condom it may not be 100 likely to stop me getting an STD but i rather have some protection then none at all

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
27-09-2016, 08:52 AM
There are trade-offs in risk mitigation. At low speeds, one is not likely to die from a fall and a traumatic head injury is a high risk compared to the other potential injuries.
At highway speeds, a helmet is protecting against only one of the risks faced; the likelihood of death from other injury is very high.
Weighed against this, helmets limit vision and hearing making one less safe.

And anyone listening to loud music while riding is a moron.
And if it is blaring out for everyone to hear, he's an obnoxious moron.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I never feared death...still don't. When I wore a helmet, if I thought about injury at all, I was thinking- death, ok...but not a vegetable, please. TBI scares me.

I always feared brain injury and losing body parts, not death. Death is easy.

Ironic, huh?
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
27-09-2016, 12:30 PM
(26-09-2016 03:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 12:40 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im sorry but I am perplexed as to why anybody would wish not to wear a helmet.

So I understand your point about mitigating risk on an otherwise very dangerous vehicle, but that cant be the only reason, surely?

Other than the risk factor you have mentioned onlineb, can you give any other practical reasons as to why not wearing a helmet is an option?

Does it mess your hair up?
Do you feel that you look cooler/braver/harder without one?
Or something else entirely?

Would you yourself wear a seatbelt and make your children wear one, or is that something different as well?

No.. I don' t wear a helmet. And yes - I am indeed safer than you riding with one.

And, you will look truely silly arguing otherwise.

Yabut I never said that.

I just asked for what other reasons (if any) for not wearing one and if that same logic applies to seatbelts.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
27-09-2016, 12:58 PM
(27-09-2016 12:30 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 03:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  No.. I don' t wear a helmet. And yes - I am indeed safer than you riding with one.

And, you will look truely silly arguing otherwise.

Yabut I never said that.

I just asked for what other reasons (if any) for not wearing one and if that same logic applies to seatbelts.

I've always worn seatbelts. I did long before they were mandated.

The logic does not apply as they're different situations.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-09-2016, 01:17 PM
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Does this make the helmet wearer "smarter" than the guy who doesn't wear one?

Answer. - no.

Why?

Because wearing a helmet makes it safer, but not safe.

Even wearing a helmet, you are still 26 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car...(you have Google - look it up your own damned self).

Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

Or - playing Russian roulette is safer with one bullet instead of two......

So if getting a thrill and risking your life is the object - isn't wearing a helmet like taking a shower in a raincoat?

Or - are you purposely misleading yourself into thinking motorcycles are a safe hobby???

I've got 35 years of riding that says otherwise.....
No, riding a motorcycle is not safe, you are right. Same with bicycles and whatnot.
No one is claiming that a helmet will make you safe though.
But a helmet might mean the difference between you being dead or not dead after an accident. So I'd rather have broken ribs and legs than a broken skull.
I cycle in Dublin, where red lights and street signs are seen as a friendly recommendation that no one really take seriously (including gardai) and where the traffic density is so high that it is actually pretty damn dangerous to cycle. I still do it. I am not lying to myself about safety. I had several hairy situations where I was able to avoid an accident only because I am actually a damn good cyclist. But I do feel "safer" with my helmet on my head. In traffic like this, I do what I can to be safe and as seen as possible. High Visibility vest, lights, helmet, and working brakes Wink

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
27-09-2016, 01:48 PM
(27-09-2016 01:17 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Does this make the helmet wearer "smarter" than the guy who doesn't wear one?

Answer. - no.

Why?

Because wearing a helmet makes it safer, but not safe.

Even wearing a helmet, you are still 26 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car...(you have Google - look it up your own damned self).

Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

Or - playing Russian roulette is safer with one bullet instead of two......

So if getting a thrill and risking your life is the object - isn't wearing a helmet like taking a shower in a raincoat?

Or - are you purposely misleading yourself into thinking motorcycles are a safe hobby???

I've got 35 years of riding that says otherwise.....
No, riding a motorcycle is not safe, you are right. Same with bicycles and whatnot.
No one is claiming that a helmet will make you safe though.
But a helmet might mean the difference between you being dead or not dead after an accident. So I'd rather have broken ribs and legs than a broken skull.
I cycle in Dublin, where red lights and street signs are seen as a friendly recommendation that no one really take seriously (including gardai) and where the traffic density is so high that it is actually pretty damn dangerous to cycle. I still do it. I am not lying to myself about safety. I had several hairy situations where I was able to avoid an accident only because I am actually a damn good cyclist. But I do feel "safer" with my helmet on my head. In traffic like this, I do what I can to be safe and as seen as possible. High Visibility vest, lights, helmet, and working brakes Wink
I used to cycle around Dublin and its crazy. I'm out in North County Dublin now and I was knocked off my bicycle twice. I didn't have a bicycle helmet but I was lit up like a Christmas tree and the cunts still didn't see me. I was ok because I saw it coming and braced myself. I now drive a bike and I feel a lot safer. Driving in the city can be fun. I still have a few near misses, usually with taxi drivers who seem to think they own the road and seem hate motorcyclists and cyclists alike. I do believe that the 30 km /h speed limit in Dublin city center has made it a lot safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
27-09-2016, 04:43 PM
(27-09-2016 09:01 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I never feared death...still don't. When I wore a helmet, if I thought about injury at all, I was thinking- death, ok...but not a vegetable, please. TBI scares me.

I always feared brain injury and losing body parts, not death. Death is easy.

Ironic, huh?

Not ironic. Just the truth *shrug*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)