The Supernatural: Impossible as a Widow Who Died First

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 04:32 AM
RE: The Supernatural: Impossible as a Widow Who Died First
I think the question in this thread is about the definition of supernatural. It can't be simply a very powerful natural thing. That would still be natural. Outside the universe? Why couldn't nature extend outside the universe? What does it mean to be supernatural?

The only clear definition I have really come across to grapple with is the idea that natural material things are composed of unintentional matter. That is, its smallest atoms operate under predefined laws and do not in and of themselves "want" things. A supernatural thing's smallest atoms would be intentional, at its smallest atom it would still be a mind. It would still be a "who" rather than a "what".

Of course these definitions are fairly explicitly built around the bunkum philosophy of substance dualism and the definitions seek to advance that philosophical position. My definition for natural would not be too far different: A thing that has a nature - a thing that has definable properties that constrain how it interacts with the universe. Under that definition though again we are left with the question: What would it mean to be not-natural?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply