The Televangelism Warning Label

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2015, 01:18 PM
RE: The Televangelism Warning Label
(31-08-2015 12:19 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The government would be making a statement about the truthfulness of a religion.

Really? Let's look at the proposed warning label again.

(31-08-2015 11:35 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  "WARNING: Use of religious ritual and withholding licensed medical attention from minors or other legal dependents is a felony punishable by fine and imprisonment."

Okay, time to go back to junior high grammar class and break this sentence down. (Well, it's a sentence once we get rid of the word WARNING.)

The principle verb here is the word IS. Specifically [subject] IS A FELONY [adjective phrase describing punishments of felony]

This is simply, obviously, patently, clearly, NOT a statement about the truthfulness of religion. It is a statement about what is and isn't a felony.

Now, I DO have an objection with the proposed warning as phrase. I would strike the reference to religious ritual entirely, replace it with an explicit statement that this is not medicine, and render it as follows:

"WARNING: The service advertised herein is not licensed medical care. Withholding licensed medical attention from minors or other legal dependents is a felony punishable by fine and imprisonment."

Furthermore, I would apply this warning label to faith healing, yes, but also homeopathy, crystal waving, chakra cleansing, acupuncture, chiropractory, and so on. The standard would be:

(1) Does this service purport, advertise, or represent itself as providing healing or medical care? If so...

(2) Is it being performed by an individual not licensed for medical practice, or by a licensed individual substantially deviating from good medical practice as determined by the scientific medical community at large? Then if not...

... it gets this warning slapped on it.

Also, the government can DAMN WELL comment on the truthfulness of religion. Does your religion say the world is flat and only 6000 years old? USGS SAYS YOU'RE WRONG! Does your religion say that stars are small enough for all of them to fall to Earth one day? NASA SAYS YOU'RE WRONG! Separation of church and state does not mean "the government is forbidden from ever saying anything that contradicts my religious belief".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Reltzik's post
31-08-2015, 05:01 PM
"Results shown are not typical. Your level of salvation may vary."

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 7 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
31-08-2015, 07:12 PM
"WARNING: The service advertised herein is not licensed medical care. Withholding licensed medical attention from minors or other legal dependents is a felony punishable by fine and imprisonment."

Well... let's try to make this a reality shall we?
02-09-2015, 09:34 AM
(31-08-2015 11:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Is withholding medical attention from minors or legal dependents actually illegal in the United States?

Courts have required that children of Jehovah's Witnesses receive needed blood transfusions despite their parents' objections.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like theophilus's post
02-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Perhaps just the nutritional value would be a fair compromise.

[Image: poij8fkdss5rvk.jpg?imageId=26625533]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-09-2015, 12:10 PM
(02-09-2015 11:10 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Perhaps just the nutritional value would be a fair compromise.

The Bible actually has MANY, MANY more than ten commandments. For some reason I've never been able to figure out, Christians (maybe Jews also??? but I doubt that, considering how anal-retentive the Talmud is) have latched onto the first ten as being somehow special.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
02-09-2015, 12:34 PM
(02-09-2015 12:10 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The Bible actually has MANY, MANY more than ten commandments. For some reason I've never been able to figure out, Christians (maybe Jews also??? but I doubt that, considering how anal-retentive the Talmud is) have latched onto the first ten as being somehow special.

My guess... because they are repeated a few times (not without variation), because 10 is a nice round number that sounds good (even though a good number of xians couldn't list them if they had to), and because Charlton Heston was in a movie called "The Ten Commandments", not "The 613 Commandments", and many xians get their understanding of their religion more from pop culture than from the actual text.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I think any televangelist that sells "special" crystals or other crap, including holy water should carry a warning label that just because one shumck drank the water and had a relative die, leave them a bit of money doesn't mean it will happen to you.

(Late night tv is such a bitch)

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-09-2015, 02:01 PM
(02-09-2015 12:10 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 11:10 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Perhaps just the nutritional value would be a fair compromise.

The Bible actually has MANY, MANY more than ten commandments. For some reason I've never been able to figure out, Christians (maybe Jews also??? but I doubt that, considering how anal-retentive the Talmud is) have latched onto the first ten as being somehow special.

The really funny part is that so few even realize that the "1st Ten" (Exodus 20) aren't even called the "Ten Commandants" within the text but in a heading. Only the set in Exodus 34 are ever referred to as such within the text and they are different.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Who are these 10 guys the Devil killed? I wanna know about them. How the hell do you piss off the Devil?

#sigh