The Temptation to Exist - E.M. Cioran

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2012, 10:11 PM
The Temptation to Exist - E.M. Cioran
Hi everyone.

I went to the library yesterday and checked out Cioran's collection of essays entitled The Temptation to Exist. I have finished reading the first few essays so far ("Thinking Against Oneself," "On a Winded Civilization," and "A Little Theory of Destiny.")

Here are some of the themes I have observed thus far:
  • Cioran seems to reject Eastern traditions of philosophy. He claims that such practices such as mindful meditation creates alienation in the practitioner.
  • He doesn't like how history determines the environment in which one finds themselves.
  • Like Nietzsche, Cioran favors isolation and inaction.
  • He is openly atheist, and expresses his disdain for religion. Some notable quotes:
    Quote:"At its finest moments, Catholicism was sanguinary, as is proper for any truly inspired religion" ("A Little Theory of Destiny").

"As long as we lived amid elegant terrors, we accommodated ourselves quite well to God" ("Thinking Against Oneself").
I just wanted to start a post to discuss this collection of essays.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 01:49 PM
RE: The Temptation to Exist - E.M. Cioran
(15-07-2012 10:11 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I went to the library yesterday and checked out Cioran's collection of essays entitled The Temptation to Exist. I have finished reading the first few essays so far ("Thinking Against Oneself," "On a Winded Civilization," and "A Little Theory of Destiny.")

Here are some of the themes I have observed thus far:
  • Cioran seems to reject Eastern traditions of philosophy. He claims that such practices such as mindful meditation creates alienation in the practitioner.
  • He doesn't like how history determines the environment in which one finds themselves.
  • Like Nietzsche, Cioran favors isolation and inaction.
  • He is openly atheist, and expresses his disdain for religion. Some notable quotes:
    Quote:"At its finest moments, Catholicism was sanguinary, as is proper for any truly inspired religion" ("A Little Theory of Destiny").

"As long as we lived amid elegant terrors, we accommodated ourselves quite well to God" ("Thinking Against Oneself").
I just wanted to start a post to discuss this collection of essays.
How does meditation creat alienation?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
16-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, I honestly do not share his position that meditation creates alienation. I think Cioran believes that "losing yourself in existence" is an illusion that makes the subject deluded into believing that he exists apart from his circumstances. It severs the bond between the practitioner and the circumstance, creating a sort of subjective alienation.
07-02-2013, 06:04 AM
I meditate regularly and gladly. Meditation is a very introspective activity, it causes detachment, a broader point of view. To a distant observer it might look like alienation. But so is locking people in cloisters and monasteries and wrapping them in weird and gaudy clothes with rules of celibate.
Let's just agree too much religion is an unhealthy thing.

Eastern religions, just like the western, have noticed some things, omitted others and yet other things they exaggerated into extreme absurdity. I'd prefer the golden middle path between them, if people want a religion at all.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!