The Ten Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2014, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2014 08:52 AM by MrKrispy601.)
The Ten Commandments
One thing when I was younger that my extremely religious parents always stressed was living life by the ten commandments. I remember reading these over and over again somewhat fearing for my soul being damned if I didn't follow them. Then I noticed something...we are not God's priority. The most recognizable instance was the order of these commandments. The first three were about him/her?(whatever) which I found interesting seeing as the whole point of these commandments were to give laws for the better good of the group. I think things such as murder, rape, stealing are big focal points. What would be even better is the punishments for these crimes outlined as well. The first thing I thought of was the promise of hell but what about while they are still here living? So when I bring up the point of a punishment or consequences for actions it's in reference to that.

Any sane, logical person would understand that with telling someone not to do something will just go over there head if you don't explain why as well as consequences behind the actions. I think any omnipotent being would provide a more in-depth look at why these things are bad and the repercussions. Of course most of us atheist argue that we know good and bad through our own common sense but I'm speaking in the terms of a religious person.

All in all, I think the document laying out the laws of a nation of people would entail more than just a few sentences without any explanation of the consequences.

*update*

I just realized something after the original post there are three commandments I want to highlight.

Thou shalt not kill
The Flood?

Thou shalt not commit adultery
The impregnation of Mary?

Thou shalt not covet
Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: The Ten Commandments
Or, as I refer to them, the Nine Commandments.

Nobody obeys #2:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

[Noticeably absent: the commandments about not raping or owning slaves, among others.]

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
15-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Do as I say, not as I do.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
15-07-2014, 09:12 AM
(15-07-2014 08:40 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  What would be even better is the punishments for these crimes outlined as well. The first thing I thought of was the promise of hell but what about while they are still here living? So when I bring up the point of a punishment or consequences for actions it's in reference to that.

Any sane, logical person would understand that with telling someone not to do something will just go over there head if you don't explain why as well as consequences behind the actions. I think any omnipotent being would provide a more in-depth look at why these things are bad and the repercussions.

Well, I imagine "Thou shalt not kill, for if thou doesth, I WILL KILL YOU!" would probably raise some eyebrows.
15-07-2014, 09:28 AM
(15-07-2014 09:12 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Well, I imagine "Thou shalt not kill, for if thou doesth, I WILL KILL YOU!" would probably raise some eyebrows.

Lol it's like when my father would tell me "Stop all that damn cursing" He never understood why I looked at him like he was crazy.
15-07-2014, 10:17 AM
(15-07-2014 08:40 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Thou shalt not kill
The Flood?

There are apologetics for that... but they have the unfortunate consequence of making God completely untrustworthy. Once you make excuses for why God is immune to the rules, how do you know he's not lying at any given moment?

Moar faith, I guess...
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-07-2014, 10:24 AM
(15-07-2014 10:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Once you make excuses for why God is immune to the rules, how do you know he's not lying at any given moment?

Clap
15-07-2014, 10:30 AM
(15-07-2014 08:40 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  What would be even better is the punishments for these crimes outlined as well.

The punishment for disobeying these was death, I believe, They killed people for working on the Sabbath and using God's name in vain.

Preposterous and unjust punishment for trivial offenses.

I wonder if you had a son that got trapped under a wagon on the Sabbath, if you labored too hard to get them out from under the wagon, I guess you would be killed.

Praise Yahweh!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-07-2014, 11:03 AM
(15-07-2014 10:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Once you make excuses for why God is immune to the rules, how do you know he's not lying at any given moment?
Well obviously you can know because God surely follows his own commandmen... oh wait. Ohmy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I could give a long answer about this - but then Aron Ra would do it better...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g