The Term "Only God Knows."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2012, 02:24 PM
The Term "Only God Knows."
‎"Only god knows."

The substitute for a seemingly cowardice admission of "I just don't know." In other matters, it also defines one's position of authority, that to say outright a more appropriate response to the closed-minded, to those who never borrowed time to educate themselves of this world's beauties, and ugliness, to stay in the middle without confirmation. "Only god knows." No, this does not dignify a true defense of faith at all, nor symbolizes it, if anything it only makes confusion seem poetic rather than an opportunity to learn.

I personally have always found this odd remark that aims to end any small problem without a solution, a bit of a one way mirror into a world without reflection, or deception. Knowledge gives us the know, and also the will to find out, yet even the most privileged educated person will spew these three words in the strangest circumstances of confusion without hesitation or thought.

I have always seen this however as more of an opportunity to the quoter, if such knowledge exists that your conscious mind can comprehend the superiority of one that does not even physically or directly exist, yet you can retain the pressure of possessing that knowledge by telling others "only god knows." does not then this provide the appropriate proof just how more cynical and more educated you truly are than this "god?"

Only "you" can know that.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: The Term "Only God Knows."
(26-11-2012 02:24 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  ‎The substitute for a seemingly cowardice admission of "I just don't know." In other matters, it also defines one's position of authority, that to say outright a more appropriate response to the closed-minded, to those who never borrowed time to educate themselves of this world's beauties, and ugliness, to stay in the middle without confirmation. "Only god knows." No, this does not dignify a true defense of faith at all, nor symbolizes it, if anything it only makes confusion seem poetic rather than an opportunity to learn.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "I don't know". There is no cowardice behind it. Labeling a theist a coward because he says "I don't know" is wrong.

"I don't know" is a completely acceptable phrase and is used in all forms of science.

If you ask a theist a question in terms of theology - ie when is Jesus coming back / why did God do that / etc - then yes, "only God knows" is an appropriate response; technically, it is a correct response.

If someone asks you "Why did kingschosen not drive his truck today?" And you responded, "Only kingschosen knows," are you a coward for not knowing? Why is this any different?

However, if the question is something like, "How big is the universe?" If someone answers with, "Only God knows." Then yes, it's a self admission of laziness and ignorance. It's also synonymous with saying, "I don't know." Moreover, neither of those phrases are cowardly. One shows religion; one show reliance on self knowledge.

Quote:I personally have always found this odd remark that aims to end any small problem without a solution, a bit of a one way mirror into a world without reflection, or deception. Knowledge gives us the know, and also the will to find out, yet even the most privileged educated person will spew these three words in the strangest circumstances of confusion without hesitation or thought.

It's a figure of speech. Much like "Oh my God" or "Bless you". As aforementioned, it's synonymous with "I don't know".

Quote:I have always seen this however as more of an opportunity to the quoter, if such knowledge exists that your conscious mind can comprehend the superiority of one that does not even physically or directly exist, yet you can retain the pressure of possessing that knowledge by telling others "only god knows." does not then this provide the appropriate proof just how more cynical and more educated you truly are than this "god?"

No. I think you're over analyzing a simple figure of speech. No one means it like that.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-11-2012, 02:41 PM
And as far as God is concerned? Nothing knows nothing about anything.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-11-2012, 03:05 PM
God is nobody.

Therefore, "Only God knows" is identical to "Only nobody knows". To me, it means exactly the same thing.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-11-2012, 03:09 PM
(26-11-2012 02:41 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  And as far as God is concerned? Nothing knows nothing about anything.
Yeah, you would know. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-11-2012, 03:13 PM
(26-11-2012 03:09 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-11-2012 02:41 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  And as far as God is concerned? Nothing knows nothing about anything.
Yeah, you would know. Tongue
I know everything about nothing and anything about nothing, but I also know everything and nothing about everything. Yes, I am that I am.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Only God Knows
God damn it!
Oh my God!
etc.

They're mostly just expressions. People don't even think about what they are saying when they say them. They don't bother me. In fact, I use them myself out of habit. Never once do I even think about "God" when I say them nor do I mean anything about "God".

As for the specific phrase in question, I don't think it's a cop out or excuse not to educate oneself at all. When I use it, it's usually about something I couldn't know. For example, "Why did that idiot step off the curb right when that car was coming?"... *shrug*..."Only God knows"... (In the example, the person got killed so therefore I couldn't know what he was thinking.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
26-11-2012, 03:50 PM
AW: The Term "Only God Knows."
How do you know that only god knows? "Only god knows."? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post