The Texas secession debate is getting kind of real

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: The Texas secession debate is getting kind of real
(25-04-2016 07:50 PM)epronovost Wrote:  How would Texas seperation affect the US dept? How would they manage «their part of it».

Since Texas puts more tax money into the fed than they get back they might be able to successfully argue that they don't have a part... Having said that I don't guess the fed would be responsible for paying social security benefits to Texas retirees either.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 09:25 PM
(25-04-2016 07:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [...] And them seceding would greatly increase the US national IQ average. It's a win-win.

LOL... single most relevant reason I'd say.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-04-2016, 09:29 PM
(25-04-2016 11:18 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...f-serious/

Quote:When Texas Republicans assemble for their state convention next month, it’s possible they will debate whether Texas should secede from the United States.

There’s almost no chance Texas Republicans will actually vote in favor of seceding, mind you — not least because most of the party wants nothing to do with this — but the fact we’re even mentioning secession and the Texas GOP convention in the same sentence suggests that the once-fringe movement has become a priority for at least some conservative grass-roots Texans.

People keep saying "let them secede", but do we really want to let them oppress whoever they want to oppress? Obviously they have no chance, but I don't see how letting them secede would help anything. They would effectively become a Christian Saudi Arabia.

Nah. There's little support for secession here on the ground. This is a political stunt and nothing more.
25-04-2016, 09:38 PM

Could they be economically viable? Sure.

Can they legally? No.

Do they have majority support? Not even close.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Quote:Can they legally? No.

Does that even matter?? Of course it's not legal, it's illegal for a reason. Legality is irrelevant IMO because you're forming another country. You can't inflict your laws on another country. The only thing that matters is public opinion. If the vast majority in Texas (not the US) want it than so be it. IMO.

[Image: oscar.png]
25-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Quote: they can easily trade with the US.

Fuck 'em. Build a wall!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-04-2016, 12:17 AM
(25-04-2016 11:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Can they legally? No.

Does that even matter?? Of course it's not legal, it's illegal for a reason. Legality is irrelevant IMO because you're forming another country. You can't inflict your laws on another country. The only thing that matters is public opinion. If the vast majority in Texas (not the US) want it than so be it. IMO.

The vast majority of us don't. This is clickbait.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-04-2016, 12:51 AM
(25-04-2016 11:18 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  People keep saying "let them secede", but do we really want to let them oppress whoever they want to oppress? Obviously they have no chance, but I don't see how letting them secede would help anything. They would effectively become a Christian Saudi Arabia.

My theory is that America keeps flirting with fascism because the wannabe fascists don't ever get a chance to try it out. There are too many checks and balances. Let Texas secede, let them turn into the shit hole they want to become and eventually they'll grow up.

If nothing else they can serve as an example for the other southern states

[Image: mistakesdemotivator.jpeg]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
26-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Are chainsaws still one of the major attractions of Texas—for those who like living a little dangerously?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-04-2016, 02:03 AM
(25-04-2016 11:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well that's one way to get Mexico to pay for a wall.

First build a wall between Texas and Mexico.

Then let Texas secede and build a wall between Texas and the neighbouring American states.

Now, what do we do about their access to the sea?