The Texas secession debate is getting kind of real

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2016, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 02:16 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: The Texas secession debate is getting kind of real
(26-04-2016 12:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 11:18 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  People keep saying "let them secede", but do we really want to let them oppress whoever they want to oppress? Obviously they have no chance, but I don't see how letting them secede would help anything. They would effectively become a Christian Saudi Arabia.

My theory is that America keeps flirting with fascism because the wannabe fascists don't ever get a chance to try it out. There are too many checks and balances. Let Texas secede, let them turn into the shit hole they want to become and eventually they'll grow up.

Well, it's a good thing that the overwhelming majority of us don't want to secede, then, right?

Or perhaps you're simply imbibing a stereotype and imposing it as you see fit?

Perish the thought!

Just so we can calibrate your knowledge of Texas and Texans -- how many do you know? How long have you spent here?

There's a reason I don't run my mouth about Scotsmen, or Scotland, and you'd do well to observe the underlying principle ... which I'll leave unspoken, given that you're clearly smart enough to figger it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2016, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 07:43 AM by Mathilda.)
(26-04-2016 02:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, it's a good thing that the overwhelming majority of us don't want to secede, then, right?

Perish the thought!

Just so we can calibrate your knowledge of Texas and Texans -- how many do you know? How long have you spent here?

There's a reason I don't run my mouth about Scotsmen, or Scotland, and you'd do well to observe the underlying principle ... which I'll leave unspoken, given that you're clearly smart enough to figger it out.

Fair enough. I was only going by the observation that the majority of the religious and bigotted republicans come from the southern states. And the OP was about republicans.

My point still stands though about the fascists, whoever they are, never actually seeing it happen in practice.

Apologies if I offended you though, it was out of line. I do have empathy for any region that wants independence.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-04-2016, 10:37 AM
(26-04-2016 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Apologies if I offended you though, it was out of line. I do have empathy for any region that wants independence.

You must have read right past my first sentence --

(26-04-2016 02:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, it's a good thing that the overwhelming majority of us don't want to secede, then, right?
26-04-2016, 10:48 AM
(25-04-2016 11:20 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  If not for the globe-destroying energy/environment policies they would almost certainly enact I'd say let them go.

Well the other reason is that they are also the seat of the school textbook standards. They've been fucking up schoolbooks for a few decades now.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Texas leaving would be a dream come true! Lol No offense Texans on here.
26-04-2016, 10:50 PM
(26-04-2016 08:04 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Texas leaving would be a dream come true! Lol No offense Texans on here.

[Image: smashedcomputerwow-sms-05091.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-04-2016, 12:08 AM
(25-04-2016 11:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Can they legally? No.

Does that even matter?? Of course it's not legal, it's illegal for a reason. Legality is irrelevant IMO because you're forming another country. You can't inflict your laws on another country. The only thing that matters is public opinion. If the vast majority in Texas (not the US) want it than so be it. IMO.

My point being, that this is a far cry from Scotland being able to legally vote for independence. That option is not available to Texas. Thus any Texan who put such considerations into action would be guilty of treason.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-04-2016, 01:17 AM
(26-04-2016 10:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Apologies if I offended you though, it was out of line. I do have empathy for any region that wants independence.

You must have read right past my first sentence --

No, I read it. I still have empathy for anyone who wants self determination even if they are fuckwits like southern state Republicans or Westminster.
27-04-2016, 02:44 AM
(27-04-2016 01:17 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 10:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You must have read right past my first sentence --

No, I read it. I still have empathy for anyone who wants self determination even if they are fuckwits like southern state Republicans or Westminster.

Point ...

... you
27-04-2016, 03:03 AM
(26-04-2016 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Perish the thought!

Fair enough. I was only going by the observation that the majority of the religious and bigotted republicans come from the southern states. And the OP was about republicans.

My point still stands though about the fascists, whoever they are, never actually seeing it happen in practice.

Apologies if I offended you though, it was out of line. I do have empathy for any region that wants independence.

Mayhaps we could let Trump be president of Tex-ass and the rest of could be free of him.