The Theist Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 09:11 AM
RE: The Theist Dilemma
(13-02-2014 09:00 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 08:36 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I find it hilarious (and good) that both theists ignored this line:
If you say that you prayed to god to give you the answer, then I'm going to tell you that god replies with "Leave the bullet in the gun".

Sounds like god's creatures are starting to question his morality...
I didn't ignore this line. I replied that "it doesn't matter what YOU say". I don't need to pray to God for ah answer in this case. I already know the answer.
I would pray IF I didn't know the answer.

Very good Alla, you have provided useful insight to the senario. You admittedly used what is between your ears to arrive at a decision that feels right to you. No need for any supernatural voices to assess a situation and act accordingly.

Now the other real question is ( as I see it) if you got a revelation from God to allow the plan to take its course and not intervene - would you abide by the revelation?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 09:17 AM
(13-02-2014 09:11 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:00 AM)Alla Wrote:  I didn't ignore this line. I replied that "it doesn't matter what YOU say". I don't need to pray to God for ah answer in this case. I already know the answer.

Very good Alla, you have provided useful insight to the senario. You admittedly used what is between your ears to arrive at a decision that feels right to you. No need for any supernatural voices to assess a situation and act accordingly.

Now the other real question is ( as I see it) if you got a revelation from God to allow the plan to take its course and not intervene - would you abide by the revelation?
1)This is what many people do not understand. We don't need to ask God a question when we already know the answer. We ask God a question only when we don't know the answer.
2)I would.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
13-02-2014, 09:19 AM
(13-02-2014 09:00 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 08:36 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I find it hilarious (and good) that both theists ignored this line:
If you say that you prayed to god to give you the answer, then I'm going to tell you that god replies with "Leave the bullet in the gun".

Sounds like god's creatures are starting to question his morality...
I didn't ignore this line. I replied that "it doesn't matter what YOU say". I don't need to pray to God for ah answer in this case. I already know the answer.

You've entirely missed the point.

If you don't pray then the morals you are using ate not from "your God". They are solar morals.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 09:21 AM
(13-02-2014 09:19 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:00 AM)Alla Wrote:  I didn't ignore this line. I replied that "it doesn't matter what YOU say". I don't need to pray to God for ah answer in this case. I already know the answer.

You've entirely missed the point.

If you don't pray then the morals you are using ate not from "your God". They are solar morals.
I already know that moral and RIGHT thing to do is to save someone's life.
If I didn't know what to do I would pray.

13-02-2014, 09:24 AM
(13-02-2014 09:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:19 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You've entirely missed the point.

I already know that moral and RIGHT thing to do is to save someone's life.

Well for one, I meant "secular" morals. My bad.

Though, once again, this is a hypothetical situation.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 09:27 AM
(13-02-2014 09:24 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I already know that moral and RIGHT thing to do is to save someone's life.

Well for one, I meant "secular" morals. My bad.

Though, once again, this is a hypothetical situation.

I know it is hypothetical situation. You don't have to explain this to me.

13-02-2014, 09:30 AM
(13-02-2014 09:17 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:11 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Very good Alla, you have provided useful insight to the senario. You admittedly used what is between your ears to arrive at a decision that feels right to you. No need for any supernatural voices to assess a situation and act accordingly.

1)This is what many people do not understand. We don't need to ask God a question when we already know the answer. We ask God a question only when we don't know the answer.
2)I would.

I am no doctor, but the act of listening to voices in your head other than your own, and acting on them, in which causes harm to another person, is what I would call phsycopathic.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
13-02-2014, 09:32 AM
I ignored because the answer is so obvious I wouldn't have prayed about it. Note that ti does say "If you say that you prayed," key word being "if."

Not sure why you find that hilarious. Consider
Quote:Sounds like god's creatures are starting to question his morality...
Only if you're claiming that the OP speaks for god.
13-02-2014, 09:34 AM
(13-02-2014 09:30 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:17 AM)Alla Wrote:  1)This is what many people do not understand. We don't need to ask God a question when we already know the answer. We ask God a question only when we don't know the answer.
2)I would.

I am no doctor, but the act of listening to voices in your head other than your own, and acting on them, in which causes harm to another person, is what I would call phsycopathic.
I agree with you.

13-02-2014, 09:44 AM
(12-02-2014 09:15 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A friend of yours lives alone and invites you over to have a serious discussion.
You discover your friend is suicidal and has a revolver on his bedside table with one bullet in it.

You both discuss the gun and you find out that he purchased it at a gun show today, but forgot to buy bullets. When he arrived home, he discovered the gun had a single bullet in it.
That was when he called you.

He says to you "That single bullet seems to be a sign from god that my death is all part of his plan"

"Well, good luck with that. C-ya."

These 'moral dilemmas' are straight bullshit. Anyone who feels confident predicting their actions in a crisis situation is either highly trained or full of shit, with the vast majority falling under the latter category. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post