The Theist Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: The Theist Dilemma
(13-02-2014 11:40 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 10:26 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I don't expect you to see the humor in it. Knowing what god would say in this hypothetical,
You mean, knowing what an atheist pretends that god would say. Now I'm seeing some humor in your defense.

You mean like pretending to know what a scientist would say about evolution?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I would take the bullet out the gun then take gun and the bullet home with me. If I though they were an imediate threat to themself I would do what I could to get them help. I have never been a life or death issue, but I have "held on to" guns of friends while they were going through rough patches and they did the same for me. If someone really wants to kill themself taking away one means will not stop them, but if they are just having a bad time taking away one means may save them.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
13-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(13-02-2014 11:40 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 10:26 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I don't expect you to see the humor in it. Knowing what god would say in this hypothetical,
You mean, knowing what an atheist pretends that god would say. Now I'm seeing some humor in your defense.

All god's words are pretend. You're on your way to becoming one of us, I see. Drinking Beverage

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
13-02-2014, 01:00 PM
I did put some thought into "what god would say" in my hypothetical.
I based it off of god actions in what most would consider to be inaction.
If a god made this universe knowing & planning every action in advance, then his only action should be to do nothing.
So for me, saying "Leave things as they are. Leave the bullet in the gun" would seem like a logical reaction on god's part.

If I had god say in reply to your prayer "Eat the chocolate pudding", could you even fathom that this might be the BEST course of action ?

Let's say you eat the chocolate pudding and then you get very sick, putting your suicidal friend in the position of saving your life by taking you to the hospital.
In the process, he realizes that if he had killed himself, he wouldn't be around in the future to be able to help anyone else.
He stays with you in the hospital over night and hears a family in the next room grieving over the loss a family member. All of these things begin to weigh more in the balance of his own course of action. He begins to be more thankful for the life he has and places those thoughts of suicide further away from his reach.

You both return to his house the next day and find that it had been broken into. A police report is made. You file an insurance claim and you call it a day.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
13-02-2014, 01:15 PM
(13-02-2014 01:00 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I did put some thought into "what god would say" in my hypothetical.
If a god made this universe knowing & planning every action in advance, then his only action should be to do nothing.
So for me, saying "Leave things as they are. Leave the bullet in the gun" would seem like a logical reaction on god's part.
You’re violating your own logic. If god’s only action should be to do nothing, then even if I were to pray, god should logically not say anything.
13-02-2014, 01:19 PM
(13-02-2014 01:15 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:00 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I did put some thought into "what god would say" in my hypothetical.
You’re violating your own logic. If god’s only action should be to do nothing, then even if I were to pray, god should logically not say anything.

No, he could confirm his plan through you so you don't fuck it up Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 01:27 PM
(13-02-2014 01:19 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  No, he could confirm his plan through you so you don't fuck it up Smile
No, if he wanted the guy to die, than he wouldn't have me there in the first place. That I'm there is a sign that god wants me to take the bullet.
13-02-2014, 01:32 PM
(13-02-2014 01:27 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:19 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  No, he could confirm his plan through you so you don't fuck it up Smile
No, if he wanted the guy to die, than he wouldn't have me there in the first place. That I'm there is a sign that god wants me to take the bullet.

Or maybe it's to say your final goodbyes?

Who are you to interpret the ways of God?

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Alpha - that's precisely the problem people deal with. They try to interpret little things that they see as signs from god.
There is no clear communication from god. There are just odd things that people take hold of in their own minds.
A creak in the floor as you were praying means what ? A person can make up a million different things based off of a creak in the boards.

The human mind has a great imagination when it comes to filling in the unknown answers to the questions we pose in our own minds.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
13-02-2014, 01:59 PM
(13-02-2014 01:32 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:27 PM)alpha male Wrote:  No, if he wanted the guy to die, than he wouldn't have me there in the first place. That I'm there is a sign that god wants me to take the bullet.

Or maybe it's to say your final goodbyes?

Who are you to interpret the ways of God?

Any friggin thing can be taken as a sign from god. The dumbest excuse for an event any theist can utter. I spilled coffee on my pants at work this morning - must be sign from god that I drink too much coffee, and the caffeine will affect my sleep, I will become exhausted, and fall asleep at the wheel driving to work the next morning, causing me to crash into the dry cleaners where my damn pants were dropped of the night before. What revelation!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —