RE: The Theist Dilemma
Leave the bullet, take the gun.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 02:14 PM
(13-02-2014 01:59 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:32 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Or maybe it's to say your final goodbyes?

Who are you to interpret the ways of God?

Any friggin thing can be taken as a sign from god. The dumbest excuse for an event any theist can utter. I spilled coffee on my pants at work this morning - must be sign from god that I drink too much coffee, and the caffeine will affect my sleep, I will become exhausted, and fall asleep at the wheel driving to work the next morning, causing me to crash into the dry cleaners where my damn pants were dropped of the night before. What revelation!

That's pretty much what I was implying Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Obviously not, or I'd be saying my final goodbyes instead of taking the bullet.
13-02-2014, 02:17 PM
(13-02-2014 01:27 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:19 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  No, he could confirm his plan through you so you don't fuck it up Smile
No, if he wanted the guy to die, than he wouldn't have me there in the first place. That I'm there is a sign that god wants me to take the bullet.

...god isn't the only one who wants you to take a bullet.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
13-02-2014, 02:22 PM
(13-02-2014 02:14 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 01:59 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Any friggin thing can be taken as a sign from god. The dumbest excuse for an event any theist can utter. I spilled coffee on my pants at work this morning - must be sign from god that I drink too much coffee, and the caffeine will affect my sleep, I will become exhausted, and fall asleep at the wheel driving to work the next morning, causing me to crash into the dry cleaners where my damn pants were dropped of the night before. What revelation!

That's pretty much what I was implying Laugh out load

I know, but I just had to vent on the whole "sign from God" comment as it is quite humorous. So is AM just admitting over and over that he is a mindless robot of a puppet being controlled physically and mentally by an outside force? Don't need to prove that point on this forum.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
13-02-2014, 02:30 PM
(13-02-2014 01:57 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Alpha - that's precisely the problem people deal with. They try to interpret little things that they see as signs from god.
Some do, some don't. Some people are superstitious in non-religious ways, some aren't.
Quote:There is no clear communication from god. There are just odd things that people take hold of in their own minds.
A creak in the floor as you were praying means what ? A person can make up a million different things based off of a creak in the boards.

The human mind has a great imagination when it comes to filling in the unknown answers to the questions we pose in our own minds.
I agree. As I don't see the Bible instructing us to live that way, though, I don't see that it's a problem with Christianity, but rather with certain Christians. Even then it's not much of a problem. People who do such things tend to interpret in a way that echoes thinking which is already present. The person in your scenario, for example, is already suicidal. A happy person wouldn't interpret a single bullet as a sign that they should commit suicide.
13-02-2014, 02:33 PM
(13-02-2014 02:22 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  So is AM just admitting over and over that he is a mindless robot of a puppet being controlled physically and mentally by an outside force?
I'm discussing hypotheticals within the framework proposed by the OP. If you don't understand that concept, you shouldn't be calling other people mindless...
13-02-2014, 02:38 PM
(13-02-2014 02:17 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
Obviously not, or I'd be saying my final goodbyes instead of taking the bullet.

But that's YOUR decision.
Once again, who are you to speak for God?

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 02:50 PM
(13-02-2014 02:38 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But that's YOUR decision.
The OP actually put words in god's mouth. I haven't. Why are you asking me this question, but not the OP? Consider
13-02-2014, 03:18 PM
(13-02-2014 02:50 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 02:38 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But that's YOUR decision.
The OP actually put words in god's mouth. I haven't. Why are you asking me this question, but not the OP? Consider

Jeebus, we need facepalm emoticon on here.

Because he came up with a hypothetical situation, in which involved God. He didn't say it would actually happen.
While you are saying God would never do such-and-such. Big difference.

A better question would be; why are you ignoring my question in the first place? Do not have an answer?

Atir aissom atir imon