The Theist Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: The Theist Dilemma
(13-02-2014 03:18 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Because he came up with a hypothetical situation, in which involved God. He didn't say it would actually happen.
While you are saying God would never do such-and-such. Big difference.
Atheist: I think god might say such-and-such.
Theist: I don't think god would say such-and-such.

Big difference? I agree on the need for the facepalm emoticon.
Quote:A better question would be; why are you ignoring my question in the first place? Do not have an answer?
I'm not ignoring it, I'm showing your inconsistency. If you want more - I think a long-time believer is in better position to speak for god than a skeptic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 03:50 PM
(13-02-2014 03:44 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 03:18 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Because he came up with a hypothetical situation, in which involved God. He didn't say it would actually happen.
While you are saying God would never do such-and-such. Big difference.
Atheist: I think god might say such-and-such.
Theist: I don't think god would say such-and-such.

Big difference? I agree on the need for the facepalm emoticon.
Quote:A better question would be; why are you ignoring my question in the first place? Do not have an answer?
I'm not ignoring it, I'm showing your inconsistency. If you want more - I think a long-time believer is in better position to speak for god than a skeptic.

OK, why does God need someone to speak for him?

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 03:53 PM
(13-02-2014 03:50 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, why does God need someone to speak for him?
He doesn't. And, in my responses, I don't speak for god, so I don't see why you're asking.
13-02-2014, 04:00 PM
(13-02-2014 03:53 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 03:50 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, why does God need someone to speak for him?
He doesn't. And, in my responses, I don't speak for god, so I don't see why you're asking.

OK, this question is not based on anything you have posted previously. Sorry for the confusion.

I would have to disagree with you. The Bible was written by man. All the prophets are men (maybe women?), any evidence for God is based off of man, etc...
See a pattern here? Even if I were to believe your stories, God had to be born a MAN to forgive is of our sins.

If he's God, why does he need to do this?

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 04:05 PM
(13-02-2014 04:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, this question is not based on anything you have posted previously. Sorry for the confusion.

I would have to disagree with you. The Bible was written by man. All the prophets are men (maybe women?), any evidence for God is based off of man, etc...
See a pattern here? Even if I were to believe your stories, God had to be born a MAN to forgive is of our sins.

I disagree that god's use of prophets necessarily indicates that he needs to use prophets. Unless you're a determinist that conclusion doesn't follow, and if you're a determinist you already have your answer.
13-02-2014, 04:48 PM
(13-02-2014 04:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 04:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, this question is not based on anything you have posted previously. Sorry for the confusion.

I disagree that god's use of prophets necessarily indicates that he needs to use prophets. Unless you're a determinist that conclusion doesn't follow, and if you're a determinist you already have your answer.

You just totally evaded the question.
You disagree, but why?
Also, I'm not just talking about prophets, but religion in general. It's religion by man, for man.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-02-2014, 04:50 PM
(13-02-2014 10:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It is my right to ignore your advice.
I agree.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
13-02-2014, 05:03 PM
(13-02-2014 04:48 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 04:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I disagree that god's use of prophets necessarily indicates that he needs to use prophets. Unless you're a determinist that conclusion doesn't follow, and if you're a determinist you already have your answer.

You just totally evaded the question.
No, I didn't.
Quote:You disagree, but why?
I explained why. If you don't accept determinism, then actions do not necessarily imply needs, but rather can be the result of desires. E.g. that I eat a bowl of strawberry ice cream does not indicate that I needed to eat strawberry ice cream. I could have simply desired to eat strawberry ice cream. That god frequently chooses to communicate through prophets does not indicate that he needs to communicate through prophets, and indeed the Bible shows him communicating in other ways as well.

If you subscribe to determinism, then I suppose you could say that an action does necessarily imply a need, but then there's no need to ask why there's a need, as the determinist position itself supplies the answer.
13-02-2014, 05:25 PM
(13-02-2014 05:03 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I explained why. If you don't accept determinism, then actions do not necessarily imply needs, but rather can be the result of desires.

Desires stem from needs.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
13-02-2014, 05:37 PM
(13-02-2014 05:25 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Desires stem from needs.
Maybe, but they're not needs.