The Theology of God is an Asshole

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2012, 08:43 AM
The Theology of God is an Asshole
Can someone help me out with this one?

When discussing God, a lot of Atheists say things like, he's a total prick, he kills innocents, he brings misery and suffering, he's selfish, he makes serial killers and rapists, he damns people for eternity, he causes evil. Basically, they characterise God as a an asshole.

But how can God have any characteristics or do any of these things if he doesn't exist?

If one doesn't believe that God exists, then how can one believe he has qualities?

For example, I would never say something like, "Santa is an asshole because he doesn't bring everyone gifts." He doesn't bring ANYONE gifts because he doesn't exist, so what the fuck?

Can anyone explain this one to me?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
25-07-2012, 08:45 AM
RE: The Theology of God is an Asshole
It is the characteristics of their projected delusion that is being addressed. As if you didn't know... Dodgy

Somebody had extra aggie vitamins this morning. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I think god (I'm talking christian, because I'm familiar with Christianity and the bible) is an asshole, the same way I think Huck Finn is an adventurer.

God is a character in a book. His character is a prick. It becomes relevant when someone bases their morality on the teachings of this nasty character.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I think most atheist say things like this to get the point across that the deity in question is not all loving and as nice as the followers think. They are not saying god exists and is a jerk. I try to qualify statements to believers when pointing out the "moral failures" of the deity they prefer, with things like "your god" or the "god of X book".

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
25-07-2012, 08:52 AM
(25-07-2012 08:43 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Can someone help me out with this one?

Sure. Sauron was an evil cunt. I mean, he's a work of fiction, but that doesn't mean that you can't attribute characteristics to the fictional character.

And Sherlock Holmes was just great. Didn't exist, but he was still great.

The character of God is fucking awful. Judges the children because their parents disobeyed a command? And all of the children that follow them? There have been multiple generations of human parents who did a better job than Yahweh.

So, yes. Fictional characters can be judged, just as factual characters can be judged.

Why is that a problem?
25-07-2012, 09:05 AM
(25-07-2012 08:43 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Can someone help me out with this one?

When discussing God, a lot of Atheists say things like, he's a total prick, he kills innocents, he brings misery and suffering, he's selfish, he makes serial killers and rapists, he damns people for eternity, he causes evil. Basically, they characterise God as a an asshole.

But how can God have any characteristics or do any of these things if he doesn't exist?

If one doesn't believe that God exists, then how can one believe he has qualities?

For example, I would never say something like, "Santa is an asshole because he doesn't bring everyone gifts." He doesn't bring ANYONE gifts because he doesn't exist, so what the fuck?

Can anyone explain this one to me?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

That is the description of the "God" character in the bible.

Fictional characters can be pricks, too. For example Voldermort, God, Xenu, Palpatine...so on and so forth.
25-07-2012, 09:14 AM
It's actually a proper response because it argues on the grounds of theology. I've always said that if you are going to argue theology then you must stick within the confines of theology. Arguing against theology and then saying, "BUT IT DOESN'T EXIST ROFL!" is an unfair and dishonest approach to debate.

You must debate the topic if you choose to argue against theology on theological terms.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
25-07-2012, 09:26 AM
(25-07-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You must debate the topic if you choose to argue against delusion on delusional terms.

*fixed. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-07-2012, 09:27 AM
(25-07-2012 09:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 09:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You must debate the topic if you choose to argue against delusion on delusional terms.

*fixed. Big Grin

Your mom.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-07-2012, 09:30 AM
(25-07-2012 08:43 AM)Ghost Wrote:  But how can God have any characteristics or do any of these things if he doesn't exist?

Kirk, Spock, Sulu, God, Scotty, Uhura, Bones, Tribbles, Nurse Chapel, Chekov... Atheists discuss lots of fictional people. Some are corrupt like God, while others make real, positive, and lasting contributions to living... like everyone else listed. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post