The Theology of God is an Asshole

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2012, 01:23 PM
RE: The Theology of God is an Asshole
Information of gods come from written works. Information of superheroes come from written works.

If I'm ever am a discussion about about a superhero, the main characters qualities usually get discussed. Same as if I'm ever in a discussion about a deity, the main characters qualities usually get discussed. I have never met a superhero as described by the literature of it. I have never met god as described by the literature of it. Reactions like 'I think she's an asshole', or 'I think he's totally awesome' are how I relate or don't relate to the characters and their qualities. Fiction doesn't omit that conversational style.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
25-07-2012, 02:29 PM
(25-07-2012 12:56 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  For all you know, Buddy Christ is an alien communicating from another universe.

Nah, because there ain't no other universe. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2012, 02:30 PM
(25-07-2012 12:56 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  uncoordinated bumbling retard

They prefer to be called "trainables"
25-07-2012, 05:03 PM
(25-07-2012 08:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think god (I'm talking christian, because I'm familiar with Christianity and the bible) is an asshole, the same way I think Huck Finn is an adventurer.

God is a character in a book. His character is a prick. It becomes relevant when someone bases their morality on the teachings of this nasty character.

Yes, but Ghost's point (which I obviously agree with because yesterday it was my point) is that people aren't just saying "God is a prick" but they're expressing hatred towards God for being a prick. Animosity towards a fictional character, even towards one who is the villain of the story, doesn't make a lot of sense. Harry Potter fans might not like Professor Snape for killing Dumbledore (um, spoiler alert) or Valdemort for being a murderous asshole, but nobody actually gets angry when discussing these villains because the people they did evil things to also didn't exist.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
25-07-2012, 05:09 PM
(25-07-2012 10:02 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Sorry Matt, I think you're trying to start an argument that really isn't there.

It may sound like he's attacking a straw man, and of course he is if he assumes that every atheist believes this, but I think he's addressing this forum specifically because it appears to be true of most of us, based on responses to Seabury's "god" post. Seth's talk at Free OK also endorses disrespect to "god", so it's seems fair to assume that most of the people Ghost is talking to hold the viewpoint that he suspects they do.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
25-07-2012, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 05:16 PM by Atothetheist.)
(25-07-2012 05:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 08:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think god (I'm talking christian, because I'm familiar with Christianity and the bible) is an asshole, the same way I think Huck Finn is an adventurer.

God is a character in a book. His character is a prick. It becomes relevant when someone bases their morality on the teachings of this nasty character.

Yes, but Ghost's point (which I obviously agree with because yesterday it was my point) is that people aren't just saying "God is a prick" but they're expressing hatred towards God for being a prick. Animosity towards a fictional character, even towards one who is the villain of the story, doesn't make a lot of sense. Harry Potter fans might not like Professor Snape for killing Dumbledore (um, spoiler alert) or Valdemort for being a murderous asshole, but nobody actually gets angry when discussing these villains because the people they did evil things to also didn't exist.

Are the three of them being preached as truth, worshipped, and praised as good, decent, characters?

Do those three demand people to waste their money, their hours, their morality, their human dignity?

The reason why people( like me) get angry is because God is an important part of most peoples lives ( some atheists to) they have lost family, friends, co-workers, jobs, valued time, etc.

I despise anything that is patently false, but is still propounded to be true.
Do those three inspire genocide, hatred, bigotory, etc?

Thats the difference between them and God, God matters to the Majority, and therefore has a big impact on atheists lives as well.

For the record, Voldemort is a fucking prick, but God is the king of kings of pricks.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-07-2012, 05:24 PM
(25-07-2012 05:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

I hear what you're saying. But I think that the hatred people are expressing isn't actually at god for being a prick. What I'm getting at is that "hating god for being a prick" is just the way in which people are actually expressing hatred towards the things that are done in his name/the perceived immorality people see in following "gods word", and a whole bunch of other things that can be summed up by saying, "god sucks".

I'm all for clearly defining things when they need to be, but I just see this one as an argument for no reason. I don't truly think there's anything or any one that's confused by what atheists mean when they express disdain for god. But hey, I've been wrong a time or two. Is there anyone else that feels this way?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-07-2012, 05:37 PM
(25-07-2012 05:24 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 05:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Yes, but Ghost's point (which I obviously agree with because yesterday it was my point) is that people aren't just saying "God is a prick" but they're expressing hatred towards God for being a prick. Animosity towards a fictional character, even towards one who is the villain of the story, doesn't make a lot of sense. Harry Potter fans might not like Professor Snape for killing Dumbledore (um, spoiler alert) or Valdemort for being a murderous asshole, but nobody actually gets angry when discussing these villains because the people they did evil things to also didn't exist.

I hear what you're saying. But I think that the hatred people are expressing isn't actually at god for being a prick. What I'm getting at is that "hating god for being a prick" is just the way in which people are actually expressing hatred towards the things that are done in his name/the perceived immorality people see in following "gods word", and a whole bunch of other things that can be summed up by saying, "god sucks".

I'm all for clearly defining things when they need to be, but I just see this one as an argument for no reason. I don't truly think there's anything or any one that's confused by what atheists mean when they express disdain for god. But hey, I've been wrong a time or two. Is there anyone else that feels this way?

Originally, I didn't think that people were actually mad at God. I personally hate religion for oppressing women, preventing gays from obtaining civil rights, rationalizing racism (although thankfully less and less of that), and teaching stupidity like Intelligent Design. However, these things don't ever lead me to hate God, but rather to hate the religions themselves for being a corrupting influence.

The "god" post really opened my eyes to where the hatred was directed. It doesn't make sense to me. Before the responses on that post, you could have convinced me that other atheists just hated religion for its detrimental effects that I've listed above. Now I think that atheists are genuinely angry at the bible for its contents, not for what its contents lead adherents to do.

25-07-2012, 05:44 PM
(25-07-2012 05:11 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 05:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Yes, but Ghost's point (which I obviously agree with because yesterday it was my point) is that people aren't just saying "God is a prick" but they're expressing hatred towards God for being a prick. Animosity towards a fictional character, even towards one who is the villain of the story, doesn't make a lot of sense. Harry Potter fans might not like Professor Snape for killing Dumbledore (um, spoiler alert) or Valdemort for being a murderous asshole, but nobody actually gets angry when discussing these villains because the people they did evil things to also didn't exist.

Are the three of them being preached as truth, worshipped, and praised as good, decent, characters?

Do those three demand people to waste their money, their hours, their morality, their human dignity?

The reason why people( like me) get angry is because God is an important part of most peoples lives ( some atheists to) they have lost family, friends, co-workers, jobs, valued time, etc.

Thats the difference between them and God, God matters to the Majority, and therefore has a big impact on atheists lives as well.

For the record, Voldemort is a fucking prick, but God is the king of kings of pricks.

I don't see why the specifics of a villain's villainy is relevant. There's no point where a fictional character is so awful that I genuinely hate him, because it's still all fictional villainy being committed. Nobody is actually getting hurt.

Your point about "inspiring genocide, hatred, and bigotry" is all valid, and I totally agree. However, that was done originally by the bible's writers, not by God... he's still fictional. Inspiring people to follow the bible's example or to do what the bible demands was done by Christians, not by God... God never did a thing, due to the handicap of not being real. Religious zealots and missionaries who demanded that the bible being taken as "holy" and "sacred" are also to blame. If you want to get angry at God simply because you know his name and don't know any of the bit players that actually spread this evil as "good", I suppose I can understand why you'd do that, but it's still misdirected anger.

[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
25-07-2012, 05:56 PM
(25-07-2012 05:44 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 05:11 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Are the three of them being preached as truth, worshipped, and praised as good, decent, characters?

I don't see why the specifics of a villain's villainy is relevant. There's no point where a fictional character is so awful that I genuinely hate him, because it's still all fictional villainy being committed. Nobody is actually getting hurt.

Your point about "inspiring genocide, hatred, and bigotry" is all valid, and I totally agree. However, that was done originally by the bible's writers, not by God... he's still fictional. Inspiring people to follow the bible's example or to do what the bible demands was done by Christians, not by God... God never did a thing, due to the handicap of not being real. Religious zealots and missionaries who demanded that the bible being taken as "holy" and "sacred" are also to blame. If you want to get angry at God simply because you know his name and don't know any of the bit players that actually spread this evil as "good", I suppose I can understand why you'd do that, but it's still misdirected anger.

But its not the Bible writers they worship, its God. They Exhault God's character, and follow It's commands. ( which is in turn, the writers commands.) its the idea of God that makes people commit the genocide, etc.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.