The Thinking Atheist is Not an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 09:27 PM
RE: The Thinking Atheist is Not an Atheist
Ain't no know. Socrates got that right. My "I love my Gwynnies" is a manufactured absolute, but I ain't got nobody to impress. Why Gwynnite is "atheistic religion." Well, atheistic philosophy. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Just because there is voracious debate from atheists about the lack of a god doesn't mean anything.

If anything, it's their own conviction to cure or quell personally perceived insanity from the theists.

If I started telling you that before you go to bed you had better do a house sweep for invisible goblin unicorns every night before you went to bed or face the consequences, you would first question my sanity and then try to convince me that I was delusional by presenting evidence over and over again against the remote possibility of invisible, house dwelling goblin unicorns.

(that was a heckuva sentence)

This doesn't mean that you believe in invisible, house dwelling goblin unicorns, it just means that you are trying to show/prove to me that I am seeing things, crazy, and/or delusional.

And, just because there are enough people that believe invisible, house dwelling goblin unicorns doesn't make it so, nor does it make it so that you believe if you voraciously argue against them.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2012, 10:33 PM
(30-09-2012 07:43 PM)titus221_panda Wrote:  The Thinking Atheist and many atheists here, use arguments that hold no philosophical or substantial meaning, or that don’t tie in with their own worldview.

Theological fallacy:
"There is no proof to believe P; therefore, it is rational to believe P."

There's the core philosophical debunking of theism.

Atheism is true because theism cannot be shown to be true. Atheism (or nothing) is the starting point. From there theist must prove their claim of truth. They simply cannot.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
30-09-2012, 10:43 PM
A recent opening debate speech. Perhaps this fits this discussion.

Religion: The Poison of Culture

In debating with Christians I am quick to point out that if any actual evidence existed for the Christian God (or any other) there would be no debate. The evidence would speak for itself. Instead they wish to mire in the back and forth of inferences and lack of proof as proof arguments that could never settle the question. The Theist’s primary concern is to confuse the question enough so that the faithful can rationalize remaining in belief.

The skeptical nonbeliever is not the target of the Theist’s argument. Theist cannot provide the proof necessary to move the rational thinker and they know it. Instead the theist works the sales pitch of eternal life and a loving personal God on the individual who seeks relief from the reality of life. The faithful want to believe in something more. They require no actual proof or reasonable argument. Simply the fact that others believe is confirmation enough.

Outside of religion we label this type of thinking foolish, irrational, delusional and in some cases psychological disorders. Our first response to someone who admits hearing voices in their head is not, “It must be God, do what he says by faith”. Instead we suggest them seeing a mental health counselor.

We generally don’t accept ideas that are not rational on face and we often seek confirmation of additional proof to believe a claim of truth. The more fantastic the claim the more proof we need to accept the claim. What claim of truth could be more profound than the claim that a supernatural being created the universe, knows each of us individually and takes a personal interest in our well being. It would seem logical that such a claim would require specific direct verifiable evidence. Instead what we have for evidence in the positive is none. Worse than that, we have ample evidence that the books claiming to support this belief have numerous contradictions, logical mistakes and factual errors, while they claim perfection from divine guidance of their human writers.

The physical verifiable evidence is clearly on the side of the nonexistence of a supernatural creator. The universe was not created in 6 days. The earth is round, not flat and is clearly not the center of the universe. The rational thinker cannot get past the first three paragraphs of Genesis without realizing it is a fairy tale. Still many people believe the Bible infallible, and not just a handful of delusional fools, but billions world wide.

Religion is a fairy tale believed. At its best it is a distraction from reality, at its worse a force of unsurpassed evil. Religious belief is a disease of the mind, a misunderstanding of the world that results in destructive behavior to the believer and the nonbeliever caught in its wake.

As we watch the Middle East destroying itself based on a reaction to nothing more than rumors of disrespectful words, we see the scale of destruction religion offers at its foundation. Religion is the poison of culture believed to be its virtue.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
30-09-2012, 11:02 PM
(30-09-2012 10:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If I started telling you that before you go to bed you had better do a house sweep for invisible goblin unicorns every night before you went to bed or face the consequences, you would first question my sanity and then try to convince me that I was delusional by presenting evidence over and over again against the remote possibility of invisible, house dwelling goblin unicorns.

If your name was not above that, they would have assumed it was me. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2012, 06:21 AM
The Thinking Atheist is Not an Atheist
(30-09-2012 11:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 10:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If I started telling you that before you go to bed you had better do a house sweep for invisible goblin unicorns every night before you went to bed or face the consequences, you would first question my sanity and then try to convince me that I was delusional by presenting evidence over and over again against the remote possibility of invisible, house dwelling goblin unicorns.

If your name was not above that, they would have assumed it was me. Weeping

You mean it's not you? I just assumed you were KC's sock puppet.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-10-2012, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 07:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-10-2012 06:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 11:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If your name was not above that, they would have assumed it was me. Weeping

KC is his own sock puppet. (He may not realize it, quite yet, but I suspect, if we got him drunk we could get him to admit it). Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2012, 07:50 AM
(01-10-2012 06:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 11:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If your name was not above that, they would have assumed it was me. Weeping

Are you saying that you want Bucky to stick his hand up my butt?

Shocking
Blink

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
(01-10-2012 07:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 06:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You mean it's not you? I just assumed you were KC's sock puppet.

Are you saying that you want Bucky to stick his hand up my butt?

Shocking
Blink

Somebody should. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Considering the image of a typically sock puppet I wouldn't say that that is what chas is saying at all.
The hand does not go up the puppets ass but rather the puppet is made with no lower torso and so the hand is actually entering up through the best area and reaching into the skull.

So if Chas is imply anything he is implying that you be put in half and have Bucky then insert his hand into your half mangled body and reach up into your skull and use you then as a sock puppet.

So don't worry, nobody's hand needs to go up anyones ass.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post