The Thinking Atheists Chess Group

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 11:44 AM
RE: The Thinking Atheists Chess Group
I just signed for the group at chess.com, anyone up for a game?

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 04:11 PM
(30-12-2013 11:44 AM)Maumin Wrote:  I just signed for the group at chess.com, anyone up for a game?

I would, but you are prejudiced against people who suck and have scores lower than 1300.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-01-2014, 08:59 PM
(30-12-2013 04:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 11:44 AM)Maumin Wrote:  I just signed for the group at chess.com, anyone up for a game?

I would, but you are prejudiced against people who suck and have scores lower than 1300.

Challenge sent!

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
20-01-2014, 08:42 PM
I joined the group at chess.com. My user name is Homoerektu5

The wise change their minds when facts and experience so demand. The fool does not hear or does not heed. (Wis 4:12-13)
- The Good Book
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Yo, does anyobdy still play chees here?
My username is underdogFTW on chess.com and lichess.org.
20-11-2016, 05:23 AM
How does anyone know for sure they're playing against a human opponent, and not a bot that's going to kick their ass???

Big Grin

(or even more ironic -- two bots)

Faith is what allows fools to embrace foolishness.
21-11-2016, 11:46 AM
(20-11-2016 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How does anyone know for sure they're playing against a human opponent, and not a bot that's going to kick their ass???

Big Grin

It is noticeable.

First of all, chess.com and lichess.org have counter measures to prevent this.
In my 10 months of playing online I have never been paired with a bot.

Finding bots-
Anybody whos played atleast 10 games of chess with humans and computers can
see the difference.
Short version is that ameteur players make a wide range of mistakes and blunders. It is possibe that they master level moves for the entire game except for one move where he fails to see a threat so obvious even a child could spot it. This only happens with humans. Computers if programmed to make mistakes make them carefully and with respect to the rating they are supposed to be.

Which brings me to another point, a bot that kicks everybody's ass would gain rating so fast it would no longer pair with ametuers and club players but with NMs and GMs.

This is not that big of an issue as much as people who use the help of chess engines to make their moves. This is way harder to detect as they don't necessarily use engines for all moves.

Anyhow, all this is extremely rare and the people who do it get reported and banned eventually.

The whole point of the game is - I make a move, you make a move. Which is simple yet challenging and also one of the reasons why I love it.
Using engines is boring when you think of it like that.

Cheers.
[+] 1 user Likes underdogFTW's post
21-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Also, you can chat while playing.

I don't mind (as much) being pounded when I'm having a decent conversation. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-11-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm an avid chess player, but I don't play online, mostly because my computer and internet connection are way too slow to do anything useful online.

I play in 5-10 over the board tournaments per year, though, and I will be playing in one just a few days from now (Nov. 25-27, two games each day). My rating has been as high as 1680 (USCF), but I'm currently floored at 1400. This has been a horrible year for me. I started the year at 1581. I'm hoping to start a comeback at this tournament.
21-11-2016, 05:34 PM
(21-11-2016 11:46 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  
(20-11-2016 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How does anyone know for sure they're playing against a human opponent, and not a bot that's going to kick their ass???

Big Grin

It is noticeable.

First of all, chess.com and lichess.org have counter measures to prevent this.
In my 10 months of playing online I have never been paired with a bot.

Finding bots-
Anybody whos played atleast 10 games of chess with humans and computers can
see the difference.
Short version is that ameteur players make a wide range of mistakes and blunders. It is possibe that they master level moves for the entire game except for one move where he fails to see a threat so obvious even a child could spot it. This only happens with humans. Computers if programmed to make mistakes make them carefully and with respect to the rating they are supposed to be.

Which brings me to another point, a bot that kicks everybody's ass would gain rating so fast it would no longer pair with ametuers and club players but with NMs and GMs.

This is not that big of an issue as much as people who use the help of chess engines to make their moves. This is way harder to detect as they don't necessarily use engines for all moves.

Anyhow, all this is extremely rare and the people who do it get reported and banned eventually.

The whole point of the game is - I make a move, you make a move. Which is simple yet challenging and also one of the reasons why I love it.
Using engines is boring when you think of it like that.

Cheers.

If a guy "sneakernetted" his bot ----- that is --- if he used a computer to play against you -- but entered the moves manually --- you'd never know......

Plus - he could chat....

Why would anyone do this???

Because -- there's a fair number of right assholes out there......

They don't need a reason.

They're assholes....

Faith is what allows fools to embrace foolishness.