The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 05:47 PM
The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 05:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:33 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Wow.. started off strong there didn't you? I said I don't "necessarily" agree with everything that he says. Meaning, I don't know unequivocally that the universe is 13.8 billion years old. I am not 100% certain that evolution is true. Mr. Tyson himself exorts at the beginning of the show to "question everything", so why are you so upset?

And why is this?
Because you're so far stuck up your God's ass that you refuse to see the literal mountains of evidence for both the age of the known universe and evolution?

He said question everything yes, he didn't say "see the literal mountains of evidence and blindly ignore them like a dumb fuck because it suits your fairy land religious views".

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-03-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
Popcorn

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
27-03-2014, 05:59 PM
TTC- what sort/kind of evidence would you need to accept evolution as true?

Or the age of the universe?

And what flavor of Christianity do you subscribe? It helps us to possibly understand where you are coming from.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I am here for biology. If it is on cosmology I am out.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
27-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I am rather new to all of this so I'm not sure what to post here...

Umm.. Cosmos is a good show... Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an extremely intelligent dude. Evolution is unproven.

I am not saying it's not true, but rather that I don't know, and I'm guessing I won't know in my lifetime...

The age of the universe is 13.8 billion years old, or so I'm told. I don't know that for sure.

Cosmic radiation.. blah blah blah...

I am willing to check out the evidence! I question everything though, especially people on the internet... Just saying.
27-03-2014, 06:03 PM
(27-03-2014 05:59 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  TTC- what sort/kind of evidence would you need to accept evolution as true?

Or the age of the universe?

And what flavor of Christianity do you subscribe? It helps us to possibly understand where you are coming from.

Well... I'm not sure lol.

I guess I haven't seen all the evidence, and so any would be welcome...

I don't really have a flavor of Christianity, though that seems the norm for today's church.

I believed in God before I read the Bible. I believe in the Bible and what it says. I like science and philosophy and law.

I like learning, but tend to question EVERYTHING a lot lol.
27-03-2014, 06:04 PM
(27-03-2014 06:01 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am here for biology. If it is on cosmology I am out.

I think we'll see biology and cosmology here, but not just one. I hope that I can learn a lot from this discussion!!
27-03-2014, 06:04 PM
(27-03-2014 06:01 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I am rather new to all of this so I'm not sure what to post here...

Umm.. Cosmos is a good show... Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an extremely intelligent dude. Evolution is unproven.

I am not saying it's not true, but rather that I don't know, and I'm guessing I won't know in my lifetime...

The age of the universe is 13.8 billion years old, or so I'm told. I don't know that for sure.

Cosmic radiation.. blah blah blah...

I am willing to check out the evidence! I question everything though, especially people on the internet... Just saying.

Evolution is the best model of biodiversity that we have. You see evolution every time you see a change in the population. There are two levels of evolution micro and macro. Micro is within a population 9(i.e dogs) macro is when a large genetic change happens (i.e speciation)

Edit

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
27-03-2014, 06:05 PM
(27-03-2014 06:04 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:01 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am here for biology. If it is on cosmology I am out.

I think we'll see biology and cosmology here, but not just one. I hope that I can learn a lot from this discussion!!

Sort of gave you the start.

27-03-2014, 06:07 PM
I highly recommend The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution by Richard Dawkins.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post