The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 08:24 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 08:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:10 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I did reply to you...

Actually, I don't see where you replied to Post #55, can you point it out to me? Sorry if I missed it.

Facepalm I can't find it... I'll have to redo it. Sorry about that!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
(27-03-2014 08:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:57 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Dutch? Interesting! I've never even heard that language spoken

Dutch is not a language.

It is a throat infection!

Drinking Beverage

yabut what does the singaporean man know? Drinking Beverage

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
(27-03-2014 08:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:17 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Cool I'll look into it Smile Thanks!

Videos may be helpful, but you need to read some books.

Yeah, I said I'll look at my local library soon.
27-03-2014, 08:25 PM
(27-03-2014 07:57 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:51 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  dutch is my native language and my favo series is "person of interest" tho it is just a tiny bit higher than the arrow

Dutch? Interesting! I've never even heard that language spoken I don't believe... And Arrow is definitely at the top of my list too Smile

It's a LOVELY language; it sounds close enough to German that I can pretty much pick up on what people are saying when I hear it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-03-2014, 08:26 PM
(27-03-2014 08:14 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:10 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Yes.. That's why.

No! I was under the impression that it was unproven! I didn't know that there was so much evidence for it! While I won't say I am 100% certain I will say that it is highly likely Smile

So why were you under that impression. Spending all your time at "reasonable" Hobo -faith-dot-com?

ProTip: Contrary to the bullshit that Craig will claim, even if evolution were NOT true, that would still not make fairy tales like xtardianity true. This is called a False Dichotomy Fallacy.

No, not all my time. A rather small amount of time actually...

Anyway, I never said that one automatically proves or disproves the other.
27-03-2014, 08:26 PM
(27-03-2014 07:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Evolution is the best model of biodiversity that we have. You see evolution every time you see a change in the population. There are two levels of evolution micro and macro. Micro is within a population 9(i.e dogs) macro is when a large genetic change happens (i.e speciation)

No, that is completely incorrect.

There is no 'macro' evolution is the sense you are saying

The only difference between 'micro' and 'macro' evolution is time. 'Macro' evolution is the accumulation of 'micro' evolution.

Speciation is only observable in retrospect, and it is most certainly not a large genetic change all at once. There isn't really a point in time that one can point to and say "Aha! It's a new species!".

I must add is the new species. Scientist do have a way of determining a new species.http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/Marine%20Life/05-04-ecoseas.htm . To be fair scientist can sometimes mess this up. Also I am going to need the source that says the difference between macro and micro is time. I tried looking for a source that says that but I have had no luck, so if you could please find one I would be happy.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
27-03-2014, 08:27 PM
(27-03-2014 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Micro is changes in a population of the same species. Dogs are micro because despite all the changes they are still Canis lupus familiaris. Macro as I said before is speciation. SO when you see ring species that is macro evolution.

No and no.

You do not understand basic evolutionary theory.

What do you think I am trying to learn here man? That's what I'm asking about!
27-03-2014, 08:27 PM
(27-03-2014 08:06 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I will check out my local library too, Lord knows I'm there enough anyway so I'll definitely find time.
I found Richard Dawkins book The Magic of Reality a very accessible and wonder inspiring book.
It's a bit of a science beginners book, targetted towards school kids. It tries to match science alongside mythological stories. You may find it a bit condescending of religion but it merely tries to make science a wonderful story, like myths are, rather than just dull facts.
It has one chapter on Evolution. This book got me hooked and then I spent many many months reading other evolution books, including creation books criticising evolution.
Dawkins book The Greatest show on Earth is a fantastic more indepth book. Dawkins takes a couple of stabs at fundamental religous people (in particular Creationists whom believe the Earth is 10,000 years old) but apart from that it is a great read.

If you don't like Dawkins, there are many other evolution books to choose from.

Kenneth R Miller wrote a fantastic book Only A Theory: Evolution and the Battle for America's Soul. Kenneth is a Christian and he is also a scientist and is pro Evolution. This book is fantastic and deals with the struggles going on regarding acceptance of Evolution in America. He also tackles the challenges against evolution.

(27-03-2014 08:06 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Are there any viable refutations to evolutiuon that you know of? Just curious here, not attempting to refute it myself Smile
I read Jonathan Wells book Icons of Evolution which I enjoyed.
I think before you read any refute books you ought to read Pro Evolution books first. Often these refute books mischaracterise evolution. So you need to understand what Evolution is before you entertain ideas that try to refute it.
27-03-2014, 08:30 PM
(27-03-2014 08:06 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to explain!! There is a lot more to evolution than I had at first thought...

I will check out my local library too, Lord knows I'm there enough anyway so I'll definitely find time.

Excellent. Would you like a reading list?

Quote:Are there any viable refutations to evolutiuon that you know of? Just curious here, not attempting to refute it myself Smile

No. There are none. Really - none at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-03-2014, 08:31 PM
(27-03-2014 08:27 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:06 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I will check out my local library too, Lord knows I'm there enough anyway so I'll definitely find time.
I found Richard Dawkins book The Magic of Reality a very accessible and wonder inspiring book.
It's a bit of a science beginners book, targetted towards school kids. It tries to match science alongside mythological stories. You may find it a bit condescending of religion but it merely tries to make science a wonderful story, like myths are, rather than just dull facts.
It has one chapter on Evolution. This book got me hooked and then I spent many many months reading other evolution books, including creation books criticising evolution.
Dawkins book The Greatest show on Earth is a fantastic more indepth book. Dawkins takes a couple of stabs at fundamental religous people (in particular Creationists whom believe the Earth is 10,000 years old) but apart from that it is a great read.

If you don't like Dawkins, there are many other evolution books to choose from.

Kenneth R Miller wrote a fantastic book Only A Theory: Evolution and the Battle for America's Soul. Kenneth is a Christian and he is also a scientist and is pro Evolution. This book is fantastic and deals with the struggles going on regarding acceptance of Evolution in America. He also tackles the challenges against evolution.

(27-03-2014 08:06 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Are there any viable refutations to evolutiuon that you know of? Just curious here, not attempting to refute it myself Smile
I read Jonathan Wells book Icons of Evolution which I enjoyed.
I think before you read any refute books you ought to read Pro Evolution books first. Often these refute books mischaracterise evolution. So you need to understand what Evolution is before you entertain ideas that try to refute it.

Great! Thanks for the suggestions! Smile

I'll keep those titles in mind. And I see what you mean about reading pro-evolution books first. I will do that so I have a proper idea of the subject rather than any anti-evolution author's biased works.