The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 03:46 AM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 07:05 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:04 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  damnit,* you have to correct my spelling?

*Dammit Drinking Beverage
Actually, both of them can be used colloquially. Smartass

http://www.dict.cc/?s=dammit
http://www.dict.cc/?s=damnit

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-03-2014, 03:55 AM
(27-03-2014 09:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 09:34 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I was talking about how one is a reptile and the other is a mammal. Bothare tetrapod yes, but they are in different classes, meaning they are only distantly related. No different then the bills of a platypus and a duck. Both are tetrapods but they are in different classes in fact one comes from synapsid and the other is is in daiapsid.

And the synapsids and the diapsids have a common ancestor which was a tetrapod.

This is speciation, not convergent evolution.

No no. Let me reiterate. I am talking about how one is a reptile and the other is a mammal. The are distantly related to each other. Emphasises and whales ancestors followed different evolutionary patterns after the split between synapsids and reptilia. Because they did not evolve from each other and are in different classes they are distantly related. However because both evolved and adapted to water habitats they both eventually followed a similar path in evolution despite the fact one didn't evolve from the other.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
28-03-2014, 06:39 AM
[Image: neil-de-grasse-tyson-god-meme.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-03-2014, 09:36 AM
(28-03-2014 03:55 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 09:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  And the synapsids and the diapsids have a common ancestor which was a tetrapod.

This is speciation, not convergent evolution.

No no. Let me reiterate. I am talking about how one is a reptile and the other is a mammal. The are distantly related to each other. Emphasises and whales ancestors followed different evolutionary patterns after the split between synapsids and reptilia. Because they did not evolve from each other and are in different classes they are distantly related. However because both evolved and adapted to water habitats they both eventually followed a similar path in evolution despite the fact one didn't evolve from the other.

Ok - yes.

What I was commenting on was:
"Mososaurs and Cetaceans both have a convergent evolution. Both of these animals are tetrapods(includes amphibians and amniotes). "

That was misleading in the context. I re-read it a couple of times more and I see what you meant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-03-2014, 09:43 AM
(27-03-2014 08:50 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I was not trying to insult you - please don't play the aggrieved Christian card.

I was pointing out that commenting on things that you don't actually know anything about is a bad idea. Your opinions on them are worthless.

It was obvious from your comments that you had not read any books on evolution except possibly ones from other people who don't understand evolution.

Is that a card? I wish I'd known...

You'll note that I mentioned from the get go that I could not make an accurate judgment of his works. What purpose does it serve then to tell me that which I have already admitted?

What you actually said in Post #15 was:
"And I don't know about Dawkins, with the whole selfish gene thing... Not that I know a ton about his works. Just a little so I coudln't make a good judgement there."

You know nothing of his works because you haven't read any of his works. Don't you think that was an important point to mentioned?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2014, 10:18 AM
(28-03-2014 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  You know nothing of his works because you haven't read any of his works. Don't you think that was an important point to mentioned?
*mention

[Image: 0t82Piy.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-03-2014, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 06:29 PM by Full Circle.)
I think my Troll Radar might be busted, it's not going off with TTC Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-03-2014, 05:21 PM
(27-03-2014 08:58 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:51 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I really like how you are going through all of my posts and responding to the ones that you don't like...

That would be a "Mind-Reading Fallacy".

Quote:Does it really matter if I call them pro evolution books?

Yes, it does. It belies your bias. Or the one you have been taught to cling to, as may be the case..

Quote: What affect does that have on you?

None at all You however, it makes look ignorant and backward. Sort of like using the word "evidences" as a plural noun.

Quote: Why is that important enough to elicit a response?

Just trying to protect you from yourself. Since you seem genuinely curious and actually eager and open to learn. Which is rare, if true.

Quote:I only said pro evolution because there are people who don't believe in evolution.

Yeah. "Teach the controversy", and all that. .There is no controversy.

Quote:There isn't anyone who doesn't believe in volcanoes, so that doesn't really follow.

It's stupid to not "believe in" volcanoes. Same with evolution.

What is the mind reading fallacy? Anyway, I don't have a bias! I never said I'm against evolution, I think that it is a very plausible explanation of the world and how we got to where we are today.
28-03-2014, 05:34 PM
(27-03-2014 09:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  TTChristian, just a word of advice...[SNIP]... personally experienced healings. I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Yeah I figured that Craig wouldn't be too well liked around here, but so far I haven't seen any valid refutations of his arguments... Not saying there aren't any. I just haven't really been trying to find them I suppose....

The only things I have read regarding Craig, against him I mean, are most generally just opinions, and angry ones at that. I know there is a website, I can't remember exactly what it is, that does a pretty thorough and systematic breakdown of his arguments and attempts to refute them, but I haven't had the time to really go in depth there. There is so much to read and learn that I put it on the backburner. I am currently reading 3 books, "There is a God" by Antony Flew, "The Signature in the Cell" by Stephen Meyer and "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris and those have pretty much taken up a lot of time recently with my already busy schedule.

Anyway, as for the healings I've seen some pretty cool stuff. I haven't seen the dead raised yet lol. My grandmother was healed of hep c which her doctor had said that they were not going to be able to cure her of after about a week of prayer. My wife was healed of some kind of weird skin disease after 5 days of prayer. The doctor didn't know what it was and we had no insurance or really any extra money and so we just relied on God fully and He came through, but it was months before we realized that it was a permanent thing and began praying, then 5 days later it was totally gone. It hasn't returned since.

Beyond those is mostly little stuff like colds, headaches and the like. In truth, I do not get sick and so haven't had much occasion to be healed myself. Not that I've never been sick, but I haven't been sick since I realized that this sort of thing actually works Smile. And it does, atleast as far as what I've seen. I've been studying healing and miracles for a while as well, and have heard some wondrous stories Smile. I honestly don't know how I could ever not believe in the supernatural, especially with the vast majority of the world reporting some sort of supernatural occurance like NDE's, OBE's, ghosts (eh... lol), prophetic dreams, and the list goes on... I know that most of them don't necessarily help the Christian cause, but I know that this isn't all there is, ya know?

Anyway, I'm done rambling now lol...
28-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Got a couple of Video's for you (one is a clip of the second much longer lecture)

You may recognise the speaker as one of the main expert witnesses in the famed Dover Intelligent Design case.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post