The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 06:35 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
Okay. If you say so. I suppose if you believe that speaking in tongues is really a thing.... Dodgy

I'm just gonna let this one go.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 06:46 PM
(28-03-2014 06:35 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay. If you say so. I suppose if you believe that speaking in tongues is really a thing.... Dodgy

I'm just gonna let this one go.

Yeah I do... But it's cool if you don't want to talk about it. There really wouldn't be any point in I suppose...
28-03-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm still stuck on the spellings of "damnit" vs "dammit" from page 4. I mean, if we get nothing else right, we should at LEAST have our expletives down! Bangin
28-03-2014, 07:16 PM
(28-03-2014 06:02 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Well I suppose I could mention words of knowledge, speaking in tongues, knowing a thing before it happens, not that all of these happen everyday. But each of them have happened to me since I became a Christian in 2012.

Knowing a thing before it happens--your brain can make basic assumptions based on patterns and prior knowledge..you are not Ms. Cleo.

Speaking in tongues- Weeping Maybe all this religious brainwashing is short circuiting your brain. My little sister's Furby fell in the bathtub once..it began speaking in tongues too.

----
You started this thread seeming to want to acquire new knowledge..I really have not witnessed you retain any knowledge that has been imparted upon you by these people on the forum. You just continue to talk nonsensical things and defend your arguments that have no solid base.
28-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Ever since I became an agnostic I've been able to FLY! Prove me wrong.

CHECKMATE, THEISTS!

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
28-03-2014, 07:50 PM
(28-03-2014 05:21 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  What is the mind reading fallacy?

This: "I really like how you are going through all of my posts and responding to the ones that you don't like..."

Quote:Anyway, I don't have a bias! I never said I'm against evolution, I think that it is a very plausible explanation of the world and how we got to where we are today.

When you say that evolution "hasn't been proven, and especially when you have so very little understanding of it, that is CLEARLY a bias.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-03-2014, 07:59 PM
(28-03-2014 05:46 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 09:48 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Absolutely. And at least you are honest enough to admit and understand that your personal experiences are not credible evidence. However, there are many explanations for personal experience besides "Gawddidit". See the "open-mindedness" video I linked to. You might have experienced event X, but that does not mean that your conclusion "Gawddidit" is a valid explanation. You claim that X events -- "healings" and "miracles" -- are sufficient evidence to justify your belief. We here at TTA are happy to help you objectively evaluate your own assessment of the events you say you experienced.

I can talk to my coffee cup, too. That doesn't mean either talks back. Are you claiming that your deity talks back to you?

If you claim that you can hear your deity talk to you, then yes, that is something that I could conceivably experience as well, if I were in the room with you when it happened, or if you were to go on the Oprah show and cause it to speak to you in front of the cameras. If you claim that it talks back to you and only you can hear it in your head, then there are alternate explanations that we can explore. If you only talk and it doesn't talk back, then you are in the same boat with me and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Careful, though, that Noodly Appendage tickles.

Good. But the qualiasoup video is a good starting point for self-assessment nonetheless.

Actually you do, or you wouldn't respond to my assessments of him. If not, you should, because I am giving you excellent advice when I tell you to stay the fuck away from the shit he spouts.

You mentioned him by name as a source of the "information" you are getting. You said you came here to ask questions and learn. I am offering the benefit of my knowledge, experience and understanding WRT Craig's tactics. Others here are, too.

In this thread, yes. I can, if you like. Or you could poke around here and see what I and others have already pointed out about his "arguments".

Bald assertions don't go unexamined and unchallenged around these parts.

What? My coffee cup talks to me... :-) just kidding...

Anyway, it may sound silly to you, and yes I know that there are other explanations for defining people who say they hear voices lol... But no, I don't hear voices because I'm not even sure God has a voice... God is a Spirit and so isn't physical.

Define: Spirit. Substantiate with evidence -- both that this "god" exists and that "spirits" exist.

Quote: In stillness and meditation, and even when I'm moving around and doing stuff, I can hear the voice of God, but that isn't the same as hearing your voice. It's more like just suddenly knowing information that you hadn't previously known. Like when I am talking to someone and I am communing with God I will get knowledge about them or something that they have done and are hiding and it's always given to help whoever I am talking to at the time... I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me...

Sounds like pure fantasy.

Quote:And so you woudln't be able to hear an audible voice, not that I'm ruling that out, but I haven't before although many, many others have claimed to, and it requires accepting the possibility of a God and then seeking to commune with said God.

In other words, a LOT of credulity.

Quote:Maybe this will be weird but I also believe in demons and satan and magic and voodoo and whatever else, because I believe that there is a spiritual realm that makes these things possible...

SO you really have no idea if what you think you "hear" is this undefined and unsubstantiated god-thing, or a similarly undefined and unsubstantiated "satan", "demon", etc, or just your mind playing tricks on you, like what Buddhists call "the Drunken Monkey". Check.

Quote:But in any case, those things aside, noodly appendages do tickle... haha!

And I suppose you're right, if I didn't care atleast a little then I wouldn't responde to what you've said of Craig. But truthfully I haven't seen the refutations and such that I've heard about here. I'm willing to check out the arguments against him though.

And you already admit that you haven't LOOKED, so your claim that you haven't seen any refutations of his tripe is meaningless.

Quote:And so I'll look around and see about what the people here have said of his arguments.
You really should do that BEFORE making silly statements like "I haven't seen anyone here refuting Craig's bullshit".

28-03-2014, 08:02 PM
(28-03-2014 05:49 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I find it amusing that you claim to believe that parents should kill their disobedient children.
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Praise Jebus. Bowing

I get it. This thread is an April Fools Prank. No ?

Yes, it's an april fools prank in march... No lol.

And I didn't say that disobedient children should be killed... I'm not a Jew man.... And I wasn't alive before Jesus.

So you invoke a Special Pleading Fallacy to avoid uncomfortable aspects of the book that you earlier said you believe completely. Check.

28-03-2014, 08:03 PM
(28-03-2014 06:14 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 05:52 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  If you don't follow the old testement you weren't a israelite in other word you would go to hell. The israelites will forever be gods chosen people in christianity, or atleast that is the way I was raised.Drinking Beverage

nu-uh... lol

There is no separation between the Jew and the Gentile any longer. And we are told many times in the NT that the OT law was for that time until Jesus would come, and it was only for the Jews. NT believers are not to follow the OT law. Here is one such example regarding being told not to follow the OT law:

Mark 2:21 - 21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; or else the new piece pulls away from the old, and the tear is made worse. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.”

And the verses below speak of the fact that there is no longer any difference to God between the Jews and Gentiles. We are all one group to God, no separation.

Ephesians 2: 11-18

11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands—
12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,
16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.
18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

http://www.hts.org.za/index.php/HTS/arti...le/479/378

Drinking Beverage

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
28-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I´d like to add that there is one other country in which the subject of evolution causes controversy amongst the countries political right wing. Turkey.

And there is only one country in which it is forbidden to teach evolution at schools. Saudi Arabia. In fact Saudi Schoolbooks mention Darwin only once as: "The heretic Charles Darwin denied Alahs devine creation". Saudi schoolbooks also claim that jews are "savage pigs" and all non muslims are "ignorant monkeys" (irony).

So what`s it like sharing a common cause with people who shut down Twitter and youtube when they are called out for corruption and people who fly planes into skyscrapers?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post