The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 06:10 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 06:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:01 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I am rather new to all of this so I'm not sure what to post here...

Umm.. Cosmos is a good show... Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an extremely intelligent dude. Evolution is unproven.

I am not saying it's not true, but rather that I don't know, and I'm guessing I won't know in my lifetime...

The age of the universe is 13.8 billion years old, or so I'm told. I don't know that for sure.

Cosmic radiation.. blah blah blah...

I am willing to check out the evidence! I question everything though, especially people on the internet... Just saying.

Evolution is the best model of biodiversity that we have. You see evolution every time you see a change in the population. There are two levels of evolution micro and macro. Micro is within a population 9(i.e dogs) macro is when a large genetic change happens (i.e speciation)

Edit

But all we can really se is micro-evolution. Isn't that really just adaptation? Which can be accepted as not evolution at all? But simply how species work depending on their geographical location and such?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 06:11 PM
(27-03-2014 06:05 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:04 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I think we'll see biology and cosmology here, but not just one. I hope that I can learn a lot from this discussion!!

Sort of gave you the start.

Do you mean the first post?
27-03-2014, 06:12 PM
(27-03-2014 06:11 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:05 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Sort of gave you the start.

Do you mean the first post?

No my explanation of macro and micro evolution as a start. I will go into more detail on evolution if you want.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
27-03-2014, 06:13 PM
(27-03-2014 06:10 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Evolution is the best model of biodiversity that we have. You see evolution every time you see a change in the population. There are two levels of evolution micro and macro. Micro is within a population 9(i.e dogs) macro is when a large genetic change happens (i.e speciation)

Edit

But all we can really se is micro-evolution. Isn't that really just adaptation? Which can be accepted as not evolution at all? But simply how species work depending on their geographical location and such?

No. Again speciation is macro. Adaptation is just getting used to. If a animal gets used to an environment and the generations show no change, that is adaptation. Second the generations are different from before, that is evolution.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
27-03-2014, 06:13 PM
(27-03-2014 06:07 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I highly recommend The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution by Richard Dawkins.

Where can that be found to watch?

And I don't know about Dawkins, with the whole selfish gene thing... Not that I know a ton about his works. Just a little so I coudln't make a good judgement there.

I am watching the videos on the Khan Academy app about evolution though lol
27-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Christian, if you have some spare time check out this talk. He gives excellent evidence for evolution. You will hear some great info. Also, he's a devout Catholic, so you know where his heart is. He's a funny dude too, he keeps the lecture interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-03-2014, 06:14 PM
(27-03-2014 06:12 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:11 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Do you mean the first post?

No my explanation of macro and micro evolution as a start. I will go into more detail on evolution if you want.

Oh okay lol sorry bout that!
27-03-2014, 06:16 PM
(27-03-2014 06:13 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:10 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  But all we can really se is micro-evolution. Isn't that really just adaptation? Which can be accepted as not evolution at all? But simply how species work depending on their geographical location and such?

No. Again speciation is macro. Adaptation is just getting used to. If a animal gets used to an environment and the generations show no change, that is adaptation. Second the generations are different from before, that is evolution.

Yeah I mean that I though that micro and adaptation were pretty much the same thing. So what do you mean by micro I.E. dogs? When dogs interbreed?

What is micro exactly if not the adaptation to environment and such within a species?
27-03-2014, 06:17 PM
(27-03-2014 06:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Christian, if you have some spare time check out this talk. He gives excellent evidence for evolution. You will hear some great info. Also, he's a devout Catholic, so you know where his heart is. He's a funny dude too, he keeps the lecture interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

Cool I'll look into it Smile Thanks!
27-03-2014, 06:17 PM
(27-03-2014 06:01 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
Evolution is unproven.
I am willing to check out the evidence! I question everything though,

(27-03-2014 06:03 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
I believe in the Bible
I ... question EVERYTHING a lot lol.

I too have looked at the evidence and come to the conclusion that evolutionary theory is by far the best explanation for how life works.

Actually, I would go further and say that the fundamental concepts of 'grow' and 'divide' apply to planetary systems and chemical reactions too.

Whereas my studies of the bible and quran etc. reveal only the nature of earlier generations in attempting to create 'best practice' for their time and there is no value in them other than as museum artefacts.

So obviously, I am curious as to how, assuming we were both looking at the same evidence, you and I came to completely opposite conclusions.

And... Hi.

I was going to say 'Hi' in your intro thread but Muffsy was in there stomping on toes and I prefer a clear dance floor.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post