The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 07:12 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 07:10 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:09 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Smile Cool thanks for explaining.. Is it provable or observable that other life forms behave in the same way that viruses do?

Bacteria and viruses are not the same thing. Viruses aren't even organisms.

So bacteria are living and viruses are not? Then do other life forms behave as like bacteria?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
(27-03-2014 07:05 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  The Khan Academy is a free website/windows app that has teaching videos on math and science and stuff Smile

The second you mentioned the Khan Academy I changed how I thought of you in a much more positive way. Thumbsup
Khan does a terrific job of explaining. I have hope for you Christian.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
(27-03-2014 06:56 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
Well, as I've said before, I don't know all of the evidence. But it's not as though I "just believe" in God. You may not accept experience as evidence, but my experience is undeniable. But there is the issue right? It's my experience, and unprovable to you or others...

Aside from that there are the various arguments that I've come across, the cosmological, the moral, ontological, the historical person of Jesus, fine-tuning (thinking Anthropic principle here), natural laws, blah blah blah... You know....

I still have a TON of questions yet to be answered, but that is the main reason I am here! I seek knowledge from both atheists and theists alike. If there is a God, which I believe there is, then I want to know about it!

Anyway... And HI as well. Smile

Cheers.

You may not be ready to go there but I can point you to some (watchable) studies regarding the validity of 'personal experience' if you like.

I too have looked at all those arguments and have rejected them all.
Jesus may have existed but it seems more likely that the gospels were fan-fiction so that the Jesus character morphed into a useful tool to carry a message.

The moral argument is the greatest de-convertor, I reckon, y'know, Euthyphro etc.

But fair enough, you're still finding your way so I wish you good luck on your journey.

(27-03-2014 07:05 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:04 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  damnit,* you have to correct my spelling?

*Dammit Drinking Beverage

lol
27-03-2014, 07:13 PM
(27-03-2014 07:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:05 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  The Khan Academy is a free website/windows app that has teaching videos on math and science and stuff Smile

The second you mentioned the Khan Academy I changed how I thought of you in a much more positive way. Thumbsup
Khan does a terrific job of explaining. I have hope for you Christian.

Big Grin Well that's good! Thanks Smile And yeah so far I'm learning quite a bit. He does a good job for sure! Smile
27-03-2014, 07:16 PM
(27-03-2014 07:12 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:10 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Bacteria and viruses are not the same thing. Viruses aren't even organisms.

So bacteria are living and viruses are not? Then do other life forms behave as like bacteria?

I didn't say that viruses weren't living, I said they weren't organisms -- whether or not they are alive is debatable.

As for your question about bacteria and other 'life forms' acting similar, "of course." Since most other organisms have much longer a span of time between generations, evolution isn't as easily observable in them as in bacteria, but it occurs nonetheless.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
27-03-2014, 07:18 PM
(27-03-2014 07:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:56 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
Well, as I've said before, I don't know all of the evidence. But it's not as though I "just believe" in God. You may not accept experience as evidence, but my experience is undeniable. But there is the issue right? It's my experience, and unprovable to you or others...

Aside from that there are the various arguments that I've come across, the cosmological, the moral, ontological, the historical person of Jesus, fine-tuning (thinking Anthropic principle here), natural laws, blah blah blah... You know....

I still have a TON of questions yet to be answered, but that is the main reason I am here! I seek knowledge from both atheists and theists alike. If there is a God, which I believe there is, then I want to know about it!

Anyway... And HI as well. Smile

Cheers.

You may not be ready to go there but I can point you to some (watchable) studies regarding the validity of 'personal experience' if you like.

I too have looked at all those arguments and have rejected them all.
Jesus may have existed but it seems more likely that the gospels were fan-fiction so that the Jesus character morphed into a useful tool to carry a message.

The moral argument is the greatest de-convertor, I reckon, y'know, Euthyphro etc.

But fair enough, you're still finding your way so I wish you good luck on your journey.

Sure I'll check out the studies Smile

And Euthyphro, I haven't really read it, I just skimmed over it and maybe I should read it all the way through, but I wonder... What does piety and those definitions have to do with objective morality and such?

And thanks!
[+] 1 user Likes TheThinkingChristian's post
27-03-2014, 07:21 PM
(27-03-2014 07:03 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
I know that most Christians vehemently deny evolution,

Shhh! Don't tell the pope!

A majority of Murikan protestant/puritanical christians might be vehement but across the world the majority accept evolution.

Sadly, I suspect that many catholics accept it because it is official dogma rather than because they understand it.

Also I find that talking about evolution (small 'e') as opposed to revolution in a social or business context gets no protests but Evolution (big 'E') might get some incredulity.

27-03-2014, 07:22 PM
(27-03-2014 07:16 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:12 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  So bacteria are living and viruses are not? Then do other life forms behave as like bacteria?

I didn't say that viruses weren't living, I said they weren't organisms -- whether or not they are alive is debatable.

As for your question about bacteria and other 'life forms' acting similar, "of course." Since most other organisms have much longer a span of time between generations, evolution isn't as easily observable in them as in bacteria, but it occurs nonetheless.

Oh okay! I see.. So they could be alive. Based on this definition of organism: a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes, I wonder what would constitute something not defined in this way?

And that's cool, I suppose it's good to have a way to view evolution like with bacteria...
27-03-2014, 07:24 PM
(27-03-2014 07:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:03 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  ...
I know that most Christians vehemently deny evolution,

Shhh! Don't tell the pope!

A majority of Murikan protestant/puritanical christians might be vehement but across the world the majority accept evolution.

Sadly, I suspect that many catholics accept it because it is official dogma rather than because they understand it.

Also I find that talking about evolution (small 'e') as opposed to revolution in a social or business context gets no protests but Evolution (big 'E') might get some incredulity.

Lol

are those Christians you spoke of on this side of the world? (North America and such) And yes I agree there, a different context wouldn't warrant any skepticism or ill feelings.