The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 08:16 PM
RE: The Thinking Christian on COSMOS and evolution
(27-03-2014 07:03 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I know that most Christians vehemently deny evolution, but if it is true and provable then I want to know Smile

"Most xtians" is the catholiKKK church. Which actually embraces evolution. Didn't you know?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 08:16 PM
(27-03-2014 07:57 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:51 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  dutch is my native language

Dutch? Interesting! I've never even heard that language spoken

Dutch is not a language.

It is a throat infection!

Drinking Beverage

27-03-2014, 08:17 PM
(27-03-2014 08:12 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 08:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Of course not, to refute means to prove something untrue. How could there be? Laughat

Just wondering... Ya know? No harm in learning all I can, right?

Understandable, but it's your use of "refute" that gets you into trouble there. Theory is not a hunch when we are talking scientifically, it's fact. So when you are looking for refutations you won't find them. What you will find is religious pseudoscience that tries to point to god as the reason for everything, which is not scientific, it's delusional.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 08:19 PM
(27-03-2014 07:13 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The second you mentioned the Khan Academy I changed how I thought of you in a much more positive way. Thumbsup
Khan does a terrific job of explaining. I have hope for you Christian.

Big Grin Well that's good! Thanks Smile And yeah so far I'm learning quite a bit. He does a good job for sure! Smile

GREAT! Your NEXT YouTube stop should be "qualiasoup". Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-03-2014, 08:19 PM
(27-03-2014 07:00 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:58 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I thank you for the sources! And the info Smile How do we know all of this stuff? Have paleontologists uncovered all of this? Like I said lol, I don't know much about evolution, especially regarding how we know all this stuff about all these creatures...

Yes actually. If you want more add me on xbox if you want. I can explain evolution in more detail.

Please don't. You have too many misconceptions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-03-2014, 08:20 PM
(27-03-2014 08:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:56 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  But it's not as though I "just believe" in God.

...Really?

Quote:You may not accept experience as evidence, but my experience is undeniable.

And precisely what is this "undeniable" experience.

Quote:Aside from that there are the various arguments that I've come across, the cosmological, the moral, ontological, the historical person of Jesus, fine-tuning (thinking Anthropic principle here), natural laws, blah blah blah... You know....

Blah blah blah is right. Arguments -- such as those you read Bill Craig vomit -- are merely word salad unless they answer to evidence. Of which Bill Craig has precisely ZERO.

Quote: If there is a God, which I believe there is, then I want to know about it!

Wrong place to look here to feed your delusions.

Is this a TTT sock?

(27-03-2014 06:58 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Like I said lol, I don't know much about evolution, especially regarding how we know all this stuff about all these creatures...

Then how do you justify making the preposterous claim that is hasn't been proven. Hobo

Upset much? For experience, how about healings and miracles witnessed by me personally? How about transcendent peace? How about speaking to God? But you won't accept those things, so why even ask me about it? I am learning form Dr. Craig, that's true, but I'm also reading the Moral Landscape by Sam Harris, There is a God by Antony Flew, Signature in the Cell by Stephen Meyer, and I plan on reading much more. One of those is an atheist and one is a former atheist, so it's not like I'm only reading what theists put out... And Dr. Craig does have good evidence, but it takes an objective consideration of said evidence to come to a conclusion that isn't biased. Whether you see it as good evidence or not makes really no difference at all to me.. But either way, I've said multiple times that I didn't come to argue, but merely to learn, so why is it that you much point by point take apart what I've said? This isn't a debate here, simply conversation.

And I'm not trying to feed my "delusions", again, I am trying to learn. Hence me asking questions.
27-03-2014, 08:21 PM
(27-03-2014 07:00 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:22 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Micro is changes in a population of the same species. Dogs are micro because despite all the changes they are still Canis lupus familiaris. Macro as I said before is speciation. SO when you see ring species that is macro evolution.

Okay I gotcha Smile Now, what type of animals would this include? Would it be macro when a lion and tiger mated to form a liger or tigon? Or are those the same species technically? I'm wondering what species are so closely related that they could successfully mate without being exactly in the same species.

Just stop. You need to do some reading before this discussion can be productive.

You need to learn the basics.

27-03-2014, 08:22 PM
(27-03-2014 08:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:13 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Where can that be found to watch?

And I don't know about Dawkins, with the whole selfish gene thing... Not that I know a ton about his works. Just a little so I coudln't make a good judgement there.

I am watching the videos on the Khan Academy app about evolution though lol

You don't know aboyut Dawkins or 'the whole selfish gene thing' because you've probably never read it.
Or any of his books.
Or any other book on evolution by an evolutionary biologist.

Well, I am assuming that the little bite that came on that comment is because you were trying to insult me... Great job...

Anyway, you are correct. I haven't read those books. I only know what I've heard form other sources. So, that is why I said that I couldn't make an accurate judgement regarding his work.
27-03-2014, 08:23 PM
(27-03-2014 08:16 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:03 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I know that most Christians vehemently deny evolution, but if it is true and provable then I want to know Smile

"Most xtians" is the catholiKKK church. Which actually embraces evolution. Didn't you know?

Dude, I gotta ask...

What is with your post-by-post approach?

Would it not be more efficient and effective to catch up with all posts before answering? That way you won't be just repeating stuff that others have already covered.

I'm experiencing the same feelings I get when some loud-mouth blusters late into a gathering and attempts to dominate the conversation by ...
never mind ...
see you guys later. I'll by outside having a smoke.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-03-2014, 08:24 PM
(27-03-2014 07:09 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:51 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  *at the risk that thepaleothicfreethinker explained it better*

micro- and macroevolution are the same thing,only is the so-called macroevolution the change of populations over longer time periods (like thousands of years)

it works like this:
random mutation occurs when new offspring is created.
Most of the time this is not benefitial for survival,some times it is benefitial,and sometimes it is the opposite of benneficial(sorry,the word won't pop in my head)
now,when it(the mutation) is not benefitial,it will not spread much in future generations,when it is the opposite it will die out,and when it is beneficial it will spread trough the population in future generations. And over time,all these mutations lead up so much that they cannot mate with the other that did not have the same mutations.

To give you an example:
suppose you had a group of mice and you split them in 2 groups.
Now,you set different conditions for both groups,like colder temps for one and higher tems for the other.
When the mice reproduce,there will occur random mutations,and if they are beneficial tey will spread trough future generations. Since beneficial is relative to the conditions (thick fur would be beneficial in cold areas,whereas not in hot areas).
After a few hunderd generations the mice would differ so much,and after a few thousand generations they would differ even more,maybe even different enough tmice from group a cannot crossbreed with group B.

You can read up about the lensky project where a complete new bacteria appeared due to mutations after a few thousands of generations. This new bacteria could life on citric acid on aerobic(ar anearobic) conditions,whereas the previous generations could not. It is easy to follow evolution trough bacteria since these reproduce fast

Smile Cool thanks for explaining.. Is it provable or observable that other life forms behave in the same way that viruses do?

The Lenski experiments concern bacteria, not viruses.