The Thinking Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 01:48 PM
RE: The Thinking Theist
Holy crap, for a moment I thought TTT was somehow back.

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-03-2017, 02:20 PM
(15-03-2017 11:44 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I know it is an oxymoron but it sounds interesting.

Are you insecure about your level of intelligence? Did you grow up feeling stupid, or intellectually inadequate?

When people speaks of themselves, the way atheists do regarding their own intelligence, and the inadequacy of theists, those insecurities would be quite apparent. So I'm wondering if this common tendency among atheist, can be explained by deep rooted insecurities.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
15-03-2017, 02:50 PM
The Thinking Theist
(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are you insecure about your level of intelligence?
No

Quote:Did you grow up feeling stupid, or intellectually inadequate?
No

Quote:When people speaks of themselves, the way atheists do regarding their own intelligence, and the inadequacy of theists, those insecurities would be quite apparent.
They would? Under what circumstances?

Quote:So I'm wondering if this common tendency among atheist, can be explained by deep rooted insecurities.
No
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
15-03-2017, 02:53 PM
(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 11:44 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I know it is an oxymoron but it sounds interesting.

Are you insecure about your level of intelligence? Did you grow up feeling stupid, or intellectually inadequate?

When people speaks of themselves, the way atheists do regarding their own intelligence, and the inadequacy of theists, those insecurities would be quite apparent. So I'm wondering if this common tendency among atheist, can be explained by deep rooted insecurities.

Aaaand... another possibly fun thread gets infected by Tommy. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-03-2017, 08:08 AM
(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

The same way I wonder about the emotional hole that believers must have in their hearts to be able to turn off their reasoning and logic centers in the brain in order to swallow the crap they do. And then to try to defend that belief...
16-03-2017, 08:15 AM
If you look up "projection" in the DSM-V, this is probably what you'll see:

(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are you insecure about your level of intelligence? Did you grow up feeling stupid, or intellectually inadequate?

[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
16-03-2017, 08:48 AM
(16-03-2017 08:08 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  The same way I wonder about the emotional hole that believers must have in their hearts to be able to turn off their reasoning and logic centers in the brain in order to swallow the crap they do. And then to try to defend that belief...

Our biological brains seem to have a propensity for religious beliefs, and are quite receptive to them, hence their near universal dominance. So whatever religious beliefs may be, they're not a result of turning something off in our brains, but stems from the natural tendencies and inclinations of biological brains, that govern a wide variety of processes.

So to imagine that non-believers unlocked some special compartment in their brains, inaccessible, or turned off for 99% of other biological brains, is just non-sense.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2017, 09:03 AM
(15-03-2017 02:53 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are you insecure about your level of intelligence? Did you grow up feeling stupid, or intellectually inadequate?

Aaaand... another possibly fun thread gets infected by Tommy. Dodgy

Yup, question is whether we can cure it. Is it syphilis or Chlamydia or is the infection more sinister like HIV or Ebola, who knows ? Tongue
16-03-2017, 09:05 AM
(16-03-2017 08:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 08:08 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  The same way I wonder about the emotional hole that believers must have in their hearts to be able to turn off their reasoning and logic centers in the brain in order to swallow the crap they do. And then to try to defend that belief...

Our biological brains seem to have a propensity for religious beliefs, and are quite receptive to them, hence their near universal dominance. So whatever religious beliefs may be, they're not a result of turning something off in our brains, but stems from the natural tendencies and inclinations of biological brains, that govern a wide variety of processes.

So to imagine that non-believers unlocked some special compartment in their brains, inaccessible, or turned off for 99% of other biological brains, is just non-sense.

Alternatively, some people have a propensity to want to control other people and take their money, and religion is a great way to do that -- because most people are sheep.

I don't think that's the whole truth about religion -- but it's certainly a big part of it.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-03-2017, 11:53 AM
(16-03-2017 08:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Our biological brains also have a propensity to ascribe intent to cars, computers, and trees. That doesn't make it so. Just because your brain has an inclination to believe or think something does not make the reasoning sound.

I look at a cloud. I see a face. You look at the same cloud, you also see a face. My rational mind knows that there is no face there. My rational mind knows that my brain makes faces out of vague shapes. You insist it's a face. So who is right?
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post