The Thinking Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 01:52 PM
RE: The Thinking Theist
He meant industrial engineers. The fuck they do anyway?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-03-2017, 02:26 PM
(16-03-2017 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 01:00 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Most insect brains seem to have a propensity to fly in a bug zapper. Does this make flying into a bug zapper the right choice?

Don't be the bug that flys into the zapper.

No it doesn't make it a right choice, but it does say something about insects brains.

Just like our propensity to religious beliefs, say something about human brains, and the natural ways it which they decipher, and gather information.

Those atheists who like to imagine their own biological brains, as operating differently than 99% human brains, and their weird quirks and proclivities, are just sprouting their own feel good non-sense. They're like flies making fun of other flies for flying into the zapper, while doing the same thing themselves.

Dick post, naturallyDrinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
16-03-2017, 04:10 PM
(16-03-2017 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Just like our propensity to religious beliefs, say something about human brains, and the natural ways it which they decipher, and gather information.

Humans do not have a "propensity" for religion. When asked what their religion is, most (all?) pre-adolescents will give their parents' religion. We're not born with any innate perception of religion—it's purely a man-made concept often forced upon children who've yet to reach any sort of mental maturation. And often it's just a case of "mum and dad said it's so, so it must be right".

Quote:Those atheists who like to imagine their own biological brains, as operating differently than 99% human brains, and their weird quirks and proclivities, are just sprouting their own feel good non-sense.

Uh... wrong way around mate. We don't "imagine" how our brains work—we know, thanks to the sciences that religion chooses to ignore. It's the theists with weird proclivities and vivid imaginations who spout the "feel good" nonsense. That's why you're called god-botherers LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
16-03-2017, 04:52 PM
(16-03-2017 04:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Humans do not have a "propensity" for religion. When asked what their religion is, most (all?) pre-adolescents will give their parents' religion. We're not born with any innate perception of religion—it's purely a man-made concept often forced upon children who've yet to reach any sort of mental maturation. And often it's just a case of "mum and dad said it's so, so it must be right".

The near universality of religious beliefs begs otherwise, beliefs in spirits, souls, gods, moral teleologies, etc… In fact children express such beliefs as early as we can trace them, even when raised in non-religious homes. Those societies often held as the beacons of secularism, predominately subscribe to woo, like belief in a life force. In fact a variety of studies have also shown that even many self-professing atheists, subscribe to a variety of religious beliefs as well. 

You seem to equate religious beliefs with organized religious beliefs, and forgot about the unorganized variety found replete in every corner of the world, past and present.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Humans have historically used theology/woo to explain the "unexplainable." Fairy stools, exorcisms, cloud men, all the same. You may find a direct link to civilizations subscribing to similar beliefs but you have to remember that indoctrination and plagiarism haunts a decent handful of ancient and modern religions. It's not much of a stretch for a primitive culture who understand that they are self aware and say, a bunny isn't completely, that they are special. They don't understand complex brain functions and they don't know that there could be more explanations to it so they jump to - soul. It honestly doesn't take much of an imagination to come up with these ideas or to steal ideas from other religions.
16-03-2017, 11:45 PM
(16-03-2017 04:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 04:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Humans do not have a "propensity" for religion. When asked what their religion is, most (all?) pre-adolescents will give their parents' religion. We're not born with any innate perception of religion—it's purely a man-made concept often forced upon children who've yet to reach any sort of mental maturation. And often it's just a case of "mum and dad said it's so, so it must be right".

The near universality of religious beliefs begs otherwise, beliefs in spirits, souls, gods, moral teleologies, etc… In fact children express such beliefs as early as we can trace them, even when raised in non-religious homes. Those societies often held as the beacons of secularism, predominately subscribe to woo, like belief in a life force. In fact a variety of studies have also shown that even many self-professing atheists, subscribe to a variety of religious beliefs as well. 

You seem to equate religious beliefs with organized religious beliefs, and forgot about the unorganized variety found replete in every corner of the world, past and present.

So... yay? Humans are dumb. So what?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-03-2017, 11:49 PM
(16-03-2017 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 01:00 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Most insect brains seem to have a propensity to fly in a bug zapper. Does this make flying into a bug zapper the right choice?

Don't be the bug that flys into the zapper.

No it doesn't make it a right choice, but it does say something about insects brains.

Just like our propensity to religious beliefs, say something about human brains, and the natural ways it which they decipher, and gather information.

Those atheists who like to imagine their own biological brains, as operating differently than 99% human brains, and their weird quirks and proclivities, are just sprouting their own feel good non-sense. They're like flies making fun of other flies for flying into the zapper, while doing the same thing themselves.

Your stupid fucking bible has been zapping brains for a long time. Hasn't helped you at all.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
17-03-2017, 01:05 AM
(16-03-2017 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Those atheists who like to imagine their own biological brains, as operating differently than 99% human brains, and their weird quirks and proclivities, are just sprouting their own feel good non-sense. They're like flies making fun of other flies for flying into the zapper, while doing the same thing themselves.

You continuously insinuate behavior like this on behalf of atheists.

I have yet to see you actually establish that we behave like this.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
17-03-2017, 02:02 AM
(17-03-2017 01:05 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 01:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Those atheists who like to imagine their own biological brains, as operating differently than 99% human brains, and their weird quirks and proclivities, are just sprouting their own feel good non-sense. They're like flies making fun of other flies for flying into the zapper, while doing the same thing themselves.

You continuously insinuate behavior like this on behalf of atheists.

Oh don't worry, Tommy knows what we think better than we do. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-03-2017, 05:48 AM
(17-03-2017 02:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 01:05 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  You continuously insinuate behavior like this on behalf of atheists.

Oh don't worry, Tommy knows what we think better than we do. Dodgy

You have to give him credit though. It takes a special person to criticize people for making generalizations, while make sweeping generalizations about the people he is criticizing. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky