The Thread Formerly Known As Knocking Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:03 PM by Red Celt.)
RE: Knocking Dawkins
[deleted]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 09:36 PM
(27-08-2012 09:22 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Moderators have to stick together

From what I've seen of you on the forums you seem like a decent guy and that comment is not worthy of you. How do you think this place works? You think I get paid to be here and Erx could withdraw that? Or do you think he's got a gun to my head?

I've given you my honest opinion, I have no reason to lie.

Personally I think you've blown this whole thing way out of proportion and I have no idea why. An issue was raised and it was dealt with. What's the big issue? Do you really need to throw your toys out the pram just because you haven't gotten your own way? Grow up and accept the fact that Ghost isn't about to be thrown off the forum, attacking me and Erx won't change that.

Red Celt Wrote:And it was in more than one thread.

I still don't see it as spam. That's my opinion.

If you wanna reply by PM then feel to PM me, I'm concious that we're making a complete mockery of your thread. If you wanna it on here then that's fine too, it's your thread after all.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
27-08-2012, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:03 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]
27-08-2012, 09:58 PM
(27-08-2012 11:19 AM)kim Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  The man himself has become an ideologue, though. There was a time when he could concede points to theists on a rational basis, but now he catches too much fire for doing it and so he won't.

I also feel Dawkins has become a bit of an ideologue, but I wonder how much is him and how much is his publisher... his perceived audience... etc.,.?

I didn't mean he'd become an ideologue in his books -- he writes rationally. I found him to be too biased on his own website.

There was one discussion that he opened up where he suggested that a doctor that didn't believe in evolution was a doctor not worth going to. I told him it was ad hominem, because knowledge of evolution isn't relevant in the medical field unless you're in research. Dawkins simply painted the man as incompetent because the doctor's knowledge of biology was medieval. He also clearly wasn't won over by my argument because, in a discussion with Lawrence Krauss, he said he had been "kicked around the room" in this discussion, although I'm pretty sure I was the only one who had disagreed with him among 50 or so different posters. He didn't admit fault or put up an argument against me, but rather played the victim.

Pundits are popular, and moderates are not as much. This isn't always true -- Seth of the Thinking Atheist is often fair towards Christians -- but even he plays to the crowd often by mocking them and stereotyping them. It's difficult to maintain one's popularity if you're disagreeing with and arguing with most of the people who look up to you. But again, it's not always true. Sam Harris is a good example of a person who remains objective most of the time.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
27-08-2012, 10:01 PM
(27-08-2012 09:46 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  I'm fucked off with being given equal blame in a situation. I'm fucked off with Erx's shitty moderation skills - he lied, wouldn't admit to lying and included a gif of a girl doing a pew pew pew that was baiting to anyone who saw that... and the cunt had wrongly accused me of baiting. Stupid people wind me up. I usually do my best to reign that in, but Erx crossed the line into Stupidsville.

I'm not after Ghost being kicked off. I said above, he should be given a warning for spamming (and yes, that's exactly what he was doing) and if he didn't heed that warning then the appropriate follow-up could be carried out - whatever that is. If it's a kick, then so be it but that isn't what I'm after.

I'm just after a decent place to chat, where inconsiderate cunts don't spam and moderators aren't too stupid. Did that answer your question?

Can you act like a grown-up on this thread? Or can you at least treat people with the same respect that you want for yourself? I usually disagree with you, but at least our conversations don't devolve into questioning whether one of us comes from "Stupidsville".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
27-08-2012, 10:07 PM
(27-08-2012 09:46 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  I'm fucked off with being given equal blame in a situation. I'm fucked off with Erx's shitty moderation skills - he lied, wouldn't admit to lying and included a gif of a girl doing a pew pew pew that was baiting to anyone who saw that... and the cunt had wrongly accused me of baiting. Stupid people wind me up. I usually do my best to reign that in, but Erx crossed the line into Stupidsville.

I'm not after Ghost being kicked off. I said above, he should be given a warning for spamming (and yes, that's exactly what he was doing) and if he didn't heed that warning then the appropriate follow-up could be carried out - whatever that is. If it's a kick, then so be it but that isn't what I'm after.

I'm just after a decent place to chat, where inconsiderate cunts don't spam and moderators aren't too stupid. Did that answer your question?

So you don't think that telling Ghost his 'Peace, Love and Empathy' thing was even mildly provocative? Really?

I'm really not seeing any lying from Erx either. He initially referred to it as spamming because that is what you had already perceived it as and called it. He then made it clear that he didn't see it as on a par with actually spamming. That's what it looks like to me, a misunderstanding at best.

And as far as the gif goes this whole thing shoulda been a small enough situation to defuse with a gif and it woulda been if you hadn't dragged it out. I really don't think there was any intention to bait you.

Ghost has agreed not to post that message again so you don't even have a problem any more, or at least you shouldn't do. We've also asked you not to bait Ghost which I don't think is too big an ask.

That leaves the ball in your court, are we done now?

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
27-08-2012, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:03 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]
27-08-2012, 10:22 PM
(27-08-2012 10:18 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  In the meantime, yeah. I'm fucking done with this whole conversation. If you wouldn't mind, could you delete all the shit from this thread? Mainly all of Ghost's spam (and the replies)... but also including Starcrash's claims for "respect". Respect is something that is earnt, not given away.

Do you feel you've "earnt" respect? You're asking for an awful lot of favors from people that you've treated poorly.

[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
27-08-2012, 10:25 PM
(27-08-2012 10:18 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  I wasn't fucking baiting anyone. I'd asked him to stop lying, which is exactly what he does when he finishes every post with that ludicrous 3-claim statement. "Oh, Dawkins is an asshole, his writing is poo... peace, love and empathy". Yeah, fucking right. He's been called on that shit elsewhere, but he just refuses to accept the simple fact.

He's going to keep getting comments about it... until he actually follows that sign-off (by using empathy, peace and love) or is honest and stops using it. He's one of the most un-empathetic, un-loving and un-peaceful fucks in this forum.

In the meantime, yeah. I'm fucking done with this whole conversation. If you wouldn't mind, could you delete all the shit from this thread? Mainly all of Ghost's spam (and the replies)... but also including Starcrash's claims for "respect". Respect is something that is earnt, not given away.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Ghost but remember that he clearly does find those sort of comments provocative and will respond accordingly if you keep posting them. That's my last word on it for now.

I'm not deleting any posts though. What's happened has happened and we'll move on but the posts will stay. We don't delete posts every time some has a disagreement. I did offer to carry on the conversation by PM and you didn't take me up on that offer.

Best
Worst
27-08-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:03 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]