RE: Knocking Dawkins
Who is knocking who up!?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
23-08-2012, 04:50 PM
(23-08-2012 04:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm really glad he has never stooped to debating Craig. It drives Craig crazy. I do understand his militancy. It may not be my approach, but I certainly understand it. I really like his debate with Cardinal Pell in Australia last Fall. I wish he would stop, and take a course or two, in either Religion and/or Physics. He is so smart, he could absorb it an a few weeks. He always sticks to his own field. His debates would be vastly improved if he could meet the debators on their own ground.

Sorry I missed the Pell debate. How did the cardinal fare?
23-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Did someone say knockers?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 04:55 PM
(23-08-2012 04:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Sorry I missed the Pell debate. How did the cardinal fare?

Not so well, But the audience was biased, and the use of the moderator, who kept bailing out the cardinal, was really unfair, and not helpful.

The best point Dawkins makes, is late in the debate, when he makes the point about language, and "transubstantiation".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-08-2012, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:00 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
23-08-2012, 06:20 PM
(23-08-2012 03:19 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Basically, I wanted to defend the guy. I mean, I'm not convinced that he'd be amongst my first choices as a dinner-party guest, but there's really no need to dislike a scientist who has done so much when it comes to presenting evolution to those who didn't (previously) have the information easily to hand.

He would absolutely be one of my first choices as dinner guest. Absolutely. He would have been second only to Hitchens.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2012, 06:22 PM
(23-08-2012 04:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I give him shit for theology cause he sucks at it, but he's an excellent biologist and a wonderful activist. Thumbsup

And being good at theology is good how ... ? Laughat

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:00 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
23-08-2012, 07:22 PM
(23-08-2012 04:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 04:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Sorry I missed the Pell debate. How did the cardinal fare?

Not so well, But the audience was biased, and the use of the moderator, who kept bailing out the cardinal, was really unfair, and not helpful.

The best point Dawkins makes, is late in the debate, when he makes the point about language, and "transubstantiation".

Thanks Bucky & Red!Wink
23-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey, Red.

Richard Dawkins is one of the single most important evolutionary biologists of all time. His brilliance and insight is stunning. His work on the meme centred view is unparalleled. The spark of genius that led him to Universal Darwinism and by extension, to memetics, is breathtaking. When it comes to evolution and biology, very few people on the planet can hold a candle to him and even fewer can take anything away from him. The Selfish Gene is currently not four feet from me and Dawkins' work forms the basis of my own work with Darwinism and with memetics.

But when it comes to social science, he shouldn't quit his day job.

His understandings are juvenile and simplistic. Half the time he doesn't even understand how his own revelations impact the study of cultures. As a social scientist, I look at his work and facepalm because it's painfully bad; embarrassingly bad. In all truth, he's a dilettante. Add onto that that when he talks about religion, he's a penis. Straight up. We've all seen him. He's just a penis. So he deserves the ire that he draws.

I find it important to separate the two things. I can watch his documentary "The Root of All Evil" and want to cut out my eyes Oedipus style and then pick up the Selfish Gene and marvel at it's genius.

I think he's finally turned a corner. He's writing books for teens introducing them to science. It puts him back in his element and makes it almost impossible for him to be a penis. I think it's a good direction for him.

Hey, Bucky.

Are you looking for "passive aggressive"?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post