The Thread Formerly Known As Knocking Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 09:19 AM
RE: Knocking Dawkins
Celt.

<error message 6UMT> The user you are trying to troll is better than you and has no time for your foolishness. Please do not try again later. </error message 6UMT>
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 11:01 PM by Red Celt.)
[deleted]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Ghost's last 3 are an identity function. Ease up.

Dawkins is a primate like the rest of us, with areas of proficiency and deficiency. That he sucks at theology is balanced by his passion against it, that it seems ignorant balanced by the fact that inspires us to be less ignorant. That teaching is where Dawkins has done well, to be a beacon for reason even when he's being unreasonable. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-08-2012, 09:47 AM
So's the archbishop of Canterbury hur hur Evil_monster
27-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Celt.

<error message 6UMT> The user you are trying to troll is better than you and has no time for your foolishness. Please do not try again later. </error message 6UMT>
27-08-2012, 11:19 AM
(23-08-2012 11:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  The God Delusion introduced me to many atheist arguments because I hadn't heard any (fuck, I'd never even met an atheist before reading that), and so I think it's useful for new atheists.
Ha - maybe you had met an atheist or two prior... but you just didn't know for certain. Wink

(23-08-2012 11:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  The man himself has become an ideologue, though. There was a time when he could concede points to theists on a rational basis, but now he catches too much fire for doing it and so he won't.

I also feel Dawkins has become a bit of an ideologue, but I wonder how much is him and how much is his publisher... his perceived audience... etc.,.? I've seen authors pushed in directions they normally might not go, while simply answering questions at a book signing. While I feel this should not be the case where science is concerned, I have seen it ... and it's clearly the result of continued coaxing, if not provocation.

I don't know if Dawkins has taken his own understanding to be uncompromising or dogmatic, but I can see how many might view it that way, especially in light of any debate with clergy. In fact, I often think that's now it's supposed to be taken. HA!! It's a dogma eat dogma world!!! Goddamn that was funny. Laughat
Ok, maybe not. Dodgy

The thing is... no single book is it. Just as no single book makes any author the sum of his ideals... no single perspective will make me a human being, much less a non-Theist human. Dawkins scientific work and scientific reasoning therein, will remain his great achievement. I suppose his personal direction or perspective might contribute to his legacy... which subsequently may be viewed differently. But then, we're all kind of just a drop in the bucket, aren't we? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
27-08-2012, 11:43 AM
The one thing I really like about Dawkins is that no matter the setting he never allows his debate opponents to get away with slipping in unfounded characterizations of a position.

For example I recently saw a video where the other guy said "some people believe we all have a common ancestry with fish." Dawkins immediately stopped him and said "no, we DO have a common ancestry with fish." This is one of the most common tactics of creationists, to try and constantly frame the debate as both sides being of equal footing and equal merit, when in fact they are not.
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
27-08-2012, 12:17 PM
(27-08-2012 10:32 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Celt.

<sarcasm>I dearly love the maturity demonstrated by such a respectful intellectual such as Ghost.</sarcasm>

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-08-2012, 12:26 PM
(27-08-2012 11:19 AM)kim Wrote:  HA!! It's a dogma eat dogma world!!! Goddamn that was funny. Laughat
Ok, maybe not. Dodgy

Trust me . . . It was funny. Thumbsup

Mind if I use that sometime? (With proper attribution, of course.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
27-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Logica.