Poll: Is torture acceptable?
This poll is closed.
Yes, we should be able to do whatever's necessary regardless of the ethical concerns or consequences 0% 0 0%
Yes, but only in specific situations where there's no viable alternative 11.54% 3 11.54%
No, it doesn't work and is morally repugnant 80.77% 21 80.77%
Other. Please explain. 7.69% 2 7.69%
Total 26 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 10:03 AM
The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?
In David Muir's interview last night with POTUS, DJT made it clear that, in his mind, torture (ie: waterboarding) is acceptable. Source: Trump claims torture works but experts warn of its 'potentially existential' costs

This runs counter to his assertion made that torture may not be an effective way of extracting information. Source: Donald Trump on waterboarding: 'Even if it doesn't work they deserve it'

DJT's own pick for Secretary of Defense, James Mattis, says that waterboarding is ineffective. "Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers and I'll do better."

What do you think about torture, and why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 10:07 AM
RE: The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?
It's thing that shouldn't be allowed to be done - without exception. It's barbaric and from what little I know ineffective. Also a good way to radicalize enemy and/or invite payback of same kind.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 9 users Like Szuchow's post
26-01-2017, 10:09 AM
At work.

It's not about whether it works or not.

As a country and as a people are you all wearing 'White hats' or are you wearing 'Black hats'?

Because you can't go around insisting how 'Good and democratic' you are if you're also going around and screwing people over with torture.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Let's torture Drumpf and see if we can get him to tell the truth.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
26-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Other: It works but shouldn't be allowed because allowing it creates a culture of acceptance which creates problems that outweigh the benefits.

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Flat no. It brutalises the people who perform it, along with the COs, politicians, policies, people, and culture that supports it. As in, it makes them more brutal. It makes them mean. It makes them worse. You can expect both criminal and police violence on a large scale in any culture that permits torture. Or perhaps you can expect torture from a nation with criminal and police violence on a large scale. A nation that embraces that level of primitive barbarism will forever lose itself to it.

If there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world.

Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

| (• ◡•)|  (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
[+] 1 user Likes Callinectes's post
26-01-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm fine with it for imminent threats i.e. life or death hangs in the balance and info is needed right away. Long term investigation can use other methods.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
26-01-2017, 11:27 AM
(26-01-2017 10:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Other: It works but shouldn't be allowed because allowing it creates a culture of acceptance which creates problems that outweigh the benefits.

Except all studies of torture show it does not work. You are much more likely to get a false positive than usable intelligence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-01-2017, 11:37 AM
(26-01-2017 11:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Other: It works but shouldn't be allowed because allowing it creates a culture of acceptance which creates problems that outweigh the benefits.

Except all studies of torture show it does not work. You are much more likely to get a false positive than usable intelligence.

All studies? Or just ones you agree with?

The CIA says without a doubt, torture has saved American lives.

That's good enough for me.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
26-01-2017, 11:42 AM
(26-01-2017 11:37 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  All studies? Or just ones you agree with?

The CIA says without a doubt, torture has saved American lives.

That's good enough for me.

Citation please. The report I find says differently. Source: CIA torture report: It didn't work then, it doesn't work now

Isn't this the same CIA that says that Putin was directly involved in manipulating the electoral process specifically to benefit DJT? Source: Intelligence officials say Putin personally involved in election hack