Poll: Is torture acceptable?
This poll is closed.
Yes, we should be able to do whatever's necessary regardless of the ethical concerns or consequences 0% 0 0%
Yes, but only in specific situations where there's no viable alternative 11.54% 3 11.54%
No, it doesn't work and is morally repugnant 80.77% 21 80.77%
Other. Please explain. 7.69% 2 7.69%
Total 26 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?
(26-01-2017 11:37 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except all studies of torture show it does not work. You are much more likely to get a false positive than usable intelligence.

All studies? Or just ones you agree with?

The CIA says without a doubt, torture has saved American lives.

That's good enough for me.

The CIA also says Trump had illegal help from Russia is that good enough for you? Thought not, go back to sucking your fuhrer's cock.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-01-2017, 11:44 AM
(26-01-2017 11:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 10:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Other: It works but shouldn't be allowed because allowing it creates a culture of acceptance which creates problems that outweigh the benefits.

Except all studies of torture show it does not work. You are much more likely to get a false positive than usable intelligence.

If we're talking about the concept of simply applying torture, asking a question, receiving an answer, and assuming it's true, then yes I don't exactly need a study to tell me that the answer is likely flawed. The same is true with or without torture. As one tool among many at the disposal of a well educated interrogator who understands it's flaws and how to mitigate those flaws, it is a valuable tool to have. I don't support torture as a legal option, but I can't deny that it can be useful in certain circumstances. The issue, again, is whether or not that use outweighs the sociological repercussions.

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2017, 11:47 AM
(26-01-2017 11:37 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except all studies of torture show it does not work. You are much more likely to get a false positive than usable intelligence.

All studies? Or just ones you agree with?

The CIA also doesn't want to return to the dark days of torture. Don't you think that it's quite possible that torture removes any moral high ground and gives radicals a platform to recruit? And then to kill more innocent people? How many lives does torture cost? There's no way to know. Whether it has saved lives or not, we know that terrorist groups use our torture practices as justification for further violence and inciting fear against Americans. But since it's harder to quantify the cost, it's the easy way out to say "It's saved lives".
26-01-2017, 11:56 AM
I and some friends are alive because a certain government persuaded a few people to communicate freely with us. Unless you're Sith or Jedi the absolute should be avoided.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2017, 12:03 PM
(26-01-2017 11:42 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:37 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  All studies? Or just ones you agree with?

Citation please. The report I find says differently. Source: CIA torture report: It didn't work then, it doesn't work now

Isn't this the same CIA that says that Putin was directly involved in manipulating the electoral process specifically to benefit DJT? Source: Intelligence officials say Putin personally involved in election hack

You're very good at reading a headline and determining the moral of the story. The CIA Torture report in your link is a senate report conducted by some anti torture democrats. It is not a report by the CIA itself. The actual head of the CIA disagrees with the senate report as do 6 other former CIA heads. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cia-direc...d=27470215

You can read the former CIA Directors response here. http://www.wsj.com/articles/cia-interrog...1418142644

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
26-01-2017, 12:06 PM
I say yes -- torture should be allowed.

BUT ---

It should be ordered IN WRITING -- and the person who issues such an order take FULL responsibility for the act.

If it's found that the torture was not necessary - or does not yield the information needed ----

The person who issued the order faces a courts martial -- and can be sentenced up to 30 years at hard labor for issuing the order.

Guarantee -- it won't be abused.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2017, 12:09 PM
With any luck, we'll soon be able to just jam a microchip into someone's head and rape their brain of all it's information without needing to ask them a single question with or without torture.

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2017, 01:30 PM
(26-01-2017 11:37 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The CIA says without a doubt, torture has saved American lives.

Wait, why are you here? Come to think of it, I've never seen one word from you about atheism or religion. And that statement was just like Bible cherry-picking. You trust the CIA only when you agree with them. Consider

ETA:
Torture - never acceptable

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
27-01-2017, 12:04 AM
No. The kind of people who are doing the torturing don't give a shit who they're torturing, and if you're willing to allow torture chances are you're also willing to be corrupt as fuck and cover up whatever other crimes are being committed. Brutal measures result in unrestrained individuals. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
27-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Farewell to America, the Land of the Free, that was a model for other nations to aspire to. Now we look on and shudder.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post