Poll: Is torture acceptable?
This poll is closed.
Yes, we should be able to do whatever's necessary regardless of the ethical concerns or consequences 0% 0 0%
Yes, but only in specific situations where there's no viable alternative 11.54% 3 11.54%
No, it doesn't work and is morally repugnant 80.77% 21 80.77%
Other. Please explain. 7.69% 2 7.69%
Total 26 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2017, 11:17 AM
RE: The Torture Debate - Yes, yes with caveats, or no?
(08-07-2017 11:11 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 11:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I find nothing interesting in such imaginary situations. They're made to show how bad is person holding to his principles by inventing some extremely improbable shit. Torture is wrong and no billions of imaginary suffering people who can be relived from this suffering only by torture will change that.

That was NOT my intention, and if you knew me I guarantee you would not have said such a thing, obviously this is a major hot button as it should be, but for some perhaps more so than others, I'm gonna bow out for the time being.

I wasn't aiming at you and if you took it that way then I'm sorry. What I wanted to say is that I deem such examples to be of no value at all - million people will die if you won't torture this infant*. I feel it's just improbable crap designed to end with gotcha moment.

*Yes, I know that your example was less extreme.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
08-07-2017, 11:31 AM
(08-07-2017 11:17 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 11:11 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That was NOT my intention, and if you knew me I guarantee you would not have said such a thing, obviously this is a major hot button as it should be, but for some perhaps more so than others, I'm gonna bow out for the time being.

I wasn't aiming at you and if you took it that way then I'm sorry. What I wanted to say is that I deem such examples to be of no value at all - million people will die if you won't torture this infant*. I feel it's just improbable crap designed to end with gotcha moment.

Well I guess you're not wrong, since I got here gotcha moments and skill honing have been the order of the day being as my critical thinking and debate skills are weak I try and practice alot always trying to improve to beat the woo peddlers and cultists. This is I can see a big issue for you and I'm sorry if I was insensitive it wasn't intentional, you've certainly got a huge heart underneath and within that polish exterior that's for sure
08-07-2017, 11:38 AM
(08-07-2017 11:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 11:17 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wasn't aiming at you and if you took it that way then I'm sorry. What I wanted to say is that I deem such examples to be of no value at all - million people will die if you won't torture this infant*. I feel it's just improbable crap designed to end with gotcha moment.

Well I guess you're not wrong, since I got here gotcha moments and skill honing have been the order of the day being as my critical thinking and debate skills are weak I try and practice alot always trying to improve to beat the woo peddlers and cultists. This is I can see a big issue for you and I'm sorry if I was insensitive it wasn't intentional, you've certainly got a huge heart underneath and within that polish exterior that's for sure

It's not exactly this. I'm fine with trolley problems or the like, even if I doubt usefulness of them - I think that you can't say what you would beforehand. When faced with real situation you always could be paralyzed with indecision for example. I don't like big stories like kill 1 man so 1000000000 could live - they're unrealistic and I think serve only to catch person x on breaking his/her principles.

As for huge heart - flattery should be appreciated but never internalized.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 11:45 AM
(08-07-2017 11:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 11:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Well I guess you're not wrong, since I got here gotcha moments and skill honing have been the order of the day being as my critical thinking and debate skills are weak I try and practice alot always trying to improve to beat the woo peddlers and cultists. This is I can see a big issue for you and I'm sorry if I was insensitive it wasn't intentional, you've certainly got a huge heart underneath and within that polish exterior that's for sure

It's not exactly this. I'm fine with trolley problems or the like, even if I doubt usefulness of them - I think that you can't say what you would beforehand. When faced with real situation you always could be paralyzed with indecision for example. I don't like big stories like kill 1 man so 1000000000 could live - they're unrealistic and I think serve only to catch person x on breaking his/her principles.

I doubt you'd ever allow that to happen my friend you're way too straightforward. Wink We good yeah ?
08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
(08-07-2017 11:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 11:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's not exactly this. I'm fine with trolley problems or the like, even if I doubt usefulness of them - I think that you can't say what you would beforehand. When faced with real situation you always could be paralyzed with indecision for example. I don't like big stories like kill 1 man so 1000000000 could live - they're unrealistic and I think serve only to catch person x on breaking his/her principles.

I doubt you'd ever allow that to happen my friend you're way too straightforward. Wink We good yeah ?

Allow what?

We weren't not good to begin with Smile My earlier comment wasn't about whacking you but about my dislike of imagined situation even if I phrased it poorly.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 12:06 PM by adey67.)
Allow flattery to be internalised. Like I said you are a straight up person. Thumbsup Lol, it's funny how its possible to be divided by a language even if the speaker.is fluent, I was convinced I had majorly offended you.
08-07-2017, 12:17 PM
(08-07-2017 12:02 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Allow flattery to be internalised.

Didn't thought about that.

Quote:Like I said you are a straight up person. Thumbsup

Could agree with this description.

Quote:Lol, it's funny how its possible to be divided by a language even if the speaker.is fluent, I was convinced I had majorly offended you.

My fluency is disputable as I suspect it is at least in part to blame for our misunderstanding.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 12:53 PM
(08-07-2017 12:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 12:02 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Allow flattery to be internalised.

Didn't thought about that.

Quote:Like I said you are a straight up person. Thumbsup

Quote:Lol, it's funny how its possible to be divided by a language even if the speaker.is fluent, I was convinced I had majorly offended you.

My fluency is disputable as I suspect it is at least in part to blame for our misunderstanding.

Trust me you're fluent, you speak better English than many English people I know. I'm too sensitive and sometimes phraseology gets in the way of our discourse that's our issue but we'll get there my friend we'll get there.
08-07-2017, 01:00 PM
(08-07-2017 12:53 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 12:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Didn't thought about that.

Trust me you're fluent, you speak better English than many English people I know.

I can't speak for shit*. And written one is repetitive, lacking in style and riddled with mistakes. Guess people are just being nice by pretending to not notice it.

Quote:I'm too sensitive and sometimes phraseology gets in the way of our discourse that's our issue but we'll get there my friend we'll get there.

I think we're already here.

*Exaggeration. It isn't nice to hear though and I have no idea if Englishman would understand me Wink

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Who cares if occasionally you use thought instead of think its minor and no sweat.
We all exaggerate to try and make our point on what is an international forum, you my friend are too hard on yourself.