The Transport of Proteins into Mitochondria is a irreducible complex system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: The Transport of Proteins into Mitochondria is a irreducible complex system
(12-08-2015 10:13 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 05:27 AM)Godexists Wrote:  HOW ABOUT YOU PLAY KINDERGARDEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, AND STOP HIJACKING MY TOPIC WITH EXCHANGE OF PERSONAL INSULTS ? Sadcryface2

As much as Godexists' "arguments" are completely without merit, I agree with him on this point.

This is just getting silly. If you want to measure 'em, do it somewhere else.

Rolleyes Lemme know when Dickface or other Dickface says something interesting then...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 11:15 AM
I agree that the forum tends to be too harsh in general, but that's their right. Free forum, free to speak their opinions. It is only my opinion that we should reduce the number of insults.

That said, even I tend to insult the two semi-trolls in question. GE actually posted a made-up science journal that was created (heh) for the purpose of looking like a new but legitimate science journal, for no other purpose than to promote a lie about what evolutionary science actually says, and then to use that strawman to provoke arguments with atheists. He also posted his own website links in an attempt to drive up traffic there. So he wasn't here for honest intent, but to promote an agenda and advertise for himself. Because I tend to assume a person wanting to have a science discussion isn't fundamentally dishonest, I fell for it until a few posts later, when I finished trying to find other journals that reference the "research" he had quoted. Not only did they not reference it, the real journal research specifically countermanded it. So I started calling him a "dishonest little shit".

I feel that is the appropriate term, and well earned. Do you disagree?

You, Blowjob, have also shown many many times that you have little in the way of intellectual integrity, and simply seem to enjoy trolling the atheist board so you can play the martyr and make us look bad. That's the reason I think we should lay off you a bit (even myself), but not because you don't have every one of those insults coming to you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
(12-08-2015 11:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I agree that the forum tends to be too harsh in general, but that's their right. Free forum, free to speak their opinions. It is only my opinion that we should reduce the number of insults.

We're agreed there.

This is, after all, a forum for The Thinking Atheist. Whether or not the insults are deserved, entire pages of pointless bickering doesn't do much to help that image. The arguments presented may be vapid and dishonest, but responding to them with insults is unnecessary when we can just show how they are wrong.

That is, after all, sort of the main reason most people would choose not to believe these things. They are demonstrably incorrect. So why not respond by demonstrating that, rather than bickering? It's what they want. It just makes us look like pointlessly antagonistic fools.

Which is exactly what they're trying to do. This isn't about presenting scientific arguments against the theory of symbiogenesis, or whatever it is that they trot out in any given thread. It's about antagonizing us. Rising to their bait is exactly what they want. We don't accomplish anything by responding like that.

What does accomplish something is calmly and logically explaining why they are wrong. That is our greatest asset, after all. We are right. Let's use that.

(12-08-2015 11:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That said, even I tend to insult the two semi-trolls in question. GE actually posted a made-up science journal that was created (heh) for the purpose of looking like a new but legitimate science journal, for no other purpose than to promote a lie about what evolutionary science actually says, and then to use that strawman to provoke arguments with atheists. He also posted his own website links in an attempt to drive up traffic there. So he wasn't here for honest intent, but to promote an agenda and advertise for himself. Because I tend to assume a person wanting to have a science discussion isn't fundamentally dishonest, I fell for it until a few posts later, when I finished trying to find other journals that reference the "research" he had quoted. Not only did they not reference it, the real journal research specifically countermanded it. So I started calling him a "dishonest little shit".

I feel that is the appropriate term, and well earned. Do you disagree?

No, I don't. I just prefer not to derail entire discussions for multiple pages' worth of time reiterating that.

If a poster is being dishonest, or anything similar, in one of their posts, I'm not against calling them out on it. I'm not even against doing it with confrontational language like "dickhead" or "dishonest little shit". I'd just prefer that the entire conversation didn't immediately devolve into a shit-slinging contest. It's just embarrassing.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
12-08-2015, 01:50 PM
(12-08-2015 01:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  What does accomplish something is calmly and logically explaining why they are wrong. That is our greatest asset, after all. We are right. Let's use that.

To be honest though that's the first thing we do. Then the theist keeps repeating himself and we have to keep repeating ourselves. Eventually the ones doing the explanations get tired and frustrated because it's a lot more work to explain why someone is wrong than to copy and paste some rubbish and not listen any response. So the atheists give up leaving the theist to proudly proclaim that he's won. Anybody new to the thread sees loads of pages full of technical stuff that they don't understand and all the atheists having given up.

Much better to explain it once and then to poke fun at the theist so the best explanations at the beginning that people put time and effort into aren't competing with the half arsed explanations later.
12-08-2015, 02:01 PM
(12-08-2015 01:50 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  To be honest though that's the first thing we do. Then the theist keeps repeating himself and we have to keep repeating ourselves. Eventually the ones doing the explanations get tired and frustrated because it's a lot more work to explain why someone is wrong than to copy and paste some rubbish and not listen any response. So the atheists give up leaving the theist to proudly proclaim that he's won. Anybody new to the thread sees loads of pages full of technical stuff that they don't understand and all the atheists having given up.

So let the thread die, if all it's become is pointless repetition. Anyone who wants to read it later will be able to see the explanations offered, and the outright refusal to acknowledge fact which follows. It's not hard to see, and it doesn't make us look like overemotional children throwing insults at one another on the playground.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
12-08-2015, 02:02 PM
https://vimeo.com/96489508#at=2
12-08-2015, 02:04 PM
It would be nice to have some "Machine Gun Tactic" trolls on the science side. Sadly, they seem to be for Creationism only:

[Image: machine-gun-troll-mgt_o_597926.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
(12-08-2015 02:01 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  So let the thread die, if all it's become is pointless repetition.

Do you honestly believe that theists like Godexists and Blowme actually want these threads to die? No, they want to keep posting the same rubbish again and again until everyone gives up and they're left to proclaim that they have won.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-08-2015, 02:09 PM
duplicate

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-08-2015, 02:12 PM
(12-08-2015 02:02 PM)Godexists Wrote:  https://vimeo.com/96489508#at=2

This is the same issue as posting walls of text. It's just spam.

A link to a video does nothing. Tell us what your thoughts on the video are, or at least point to some salient issues that it raises. No one wants to sit there and watch such an astonishingly amateur production just because you can't be bothered to make your own argument.

Especially when the issue it tries to confront is so incredibly simplistic. "What caused the Big Bang?" is a valid question, but the video tries to make the leap from "we don't know"* to "a wizard did it", which is fallacious.

I turned off the video there, because it's some of the cringiest acting I've ever seen. If there's anything else worth addressing in it, you'll have to actually tell us.

*: Which would more accurately be "we don't know, but there's no evidence that it needed a cause at all, since time and therefore cause-effect relationships did not necessarily exist prior to the event, let alone that the cause was a god of any sort". I'm also fairly certain that research in various fields of quantum mechanics has touched on possible reasons for matter arising out of quantum fluctuations or something similar, but I am not a quantum mechanics expert, so I'll leave it at that, because I haven't spent thirty years studying the stuff and would therefore be talking out of my ass.