The Treaty of Tripoli

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2016, 01:57 AM
The Treaty of Tripoli
Dear TTA community,

I need your help getting started with a school project in American History. The assignment is a paper on the following question:

The Treaty of Tripoli states "As the United States is not in any sense founded upon the Christian religion...". Why did the drafters of the document include this language?

The class is History, not political science, so I am instructed to forbear on the question of how to discern the modern place of religion in America. My question is strictly historical. Why did the specific people involved in the drafting, forming, and signing of the Treaty of Tripoli include such statements? What can we know of their motivations and goals?

As part of the assignment I have chosen a main secondary historical source upon which to base my first draft historical argument. I chose "The Barbary Wars" by Frank Lambert, a well established historian.

It was here on the forum that I first learned of the Treaty of Tripoli. My fellow unbelievers in religion have often cited it in support of secular politics, and in historical arguments about the religious beliefs of certain founding fathers of the US. Have any of you studied this topic, or read Frank Lambert's book? Does anyone know a good starting point?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2016, 04:53 AM
RE: The Treaty of Tripoli
Your best bet is to Google it. The treaty also involved the Soviet Union. So religion was off the cards. Plus the Germans had crosses on their vehicles and were clearly Christian. It is called The Balkan Kruz.

[Image: 14b952f21724e8d10790833e1b5044f9.jpg]

Here is a Yale university paper on the treaty.

Yale.

There is no need to ask us. It is all over the net.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-02-2016, 05:23 AM
Check the American State Papers, they're online. Good primary sources.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
17-02-2016, 06:16 AM
(17-02-2016 04:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Your best bet is to Google it. The treaty also involved the Soviet Union. So religion was off the cards. Plus the Germans had crosses on their vehicles and were clearly Christian. It is called The Balkan Kruz.

Yale.

[Image: MV5BMTY5NDg4NjI1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAy...SY720_.jpg]
This is not the treaty you're looking for.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-02-2016, 07:19 AM
(17-02-2016 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 04:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Your best bet is to Google it. The treaty also involved the Soviet Union. So religion was off the cards. Plus the Germans had crosses on their vehicles and were clearly Christian. It is called The Balkan Kruz.

Yale.

[Image: MV5BMTY5NDg4NjI1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAy...SY720_.jpg]
This is not the treaty you're looking for.

Image does not show.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
17-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Here is a nice summation and background of both the Founding Fathers and the Constitution along with the Treaty of Tripoli and secular bent at the time.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/early-americ...overnment/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Quote:It is called The Balkan Kruz

You are joking, right? Dodgy
17-02-2016, 09:18 AM
(17-02-2016 09:10 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:It is called The Balkan Kruz

You are joking, right? Dodgy

No. I simply spelled it in Australian.

Here it is.

Banjo.
18-02-2016, 02:25 PM
@Banjo

I am confused. I am referring to the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796. The Soviet Union wasn't formed until 1922 and the first airplane wasn't invented until 1903. What are you talking about?

The link is to a copy of the treaty itself, or a transcription of it. What article are you talking about?

Also, of course I know I might find an answer on google. Doesn't it seem reasonable to you to check in the Atheist community for someone who has already done extensive research on a well known topic, before bumbling around the internet? There is a lot of information out there, and I have limited time. I am not the first to ask the question, or to answer it.

Besides, it isn't as though I asked someone to conduct new research on my behalf, or waste their time citing something to me if they don't want to. Either way, I will still be doing all the research, and the work.

So, I am not sure if you telling me I shouldn't ask is just rude, or just a reflection of how useful you are on this topic.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2016, 02:26 PM
(17-02-2016 05:23 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Check the American State Papers, they're online. Good primary sources.

Thank you very much.

-Karl Marx