The Trial of Diddo97

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 11:37 PM
RE: The Trial of Diddo97
(14-10-2014 10:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 04:41 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  What's a "true" Christian?

Whatever a particular 'True Christian ™' defines it to be at that moment. There are billions of 'True Christians ™', but any one never recognizes more than a few hundred other true believers.

Nope, a True Christian is The Q's interpretation of what the bible says a true christian is.. there is no other answer. At least here.

On another forum, coincidentally a true christian isn't the same interpretation, but it's what this guy who goes by Brett says the bible says a true christian is. Both are absolutely correct because god.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
15-10-2014, 05:18 AM

I think he lives next to the True Scotsman.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-10-2014, 02:14 PM
All,

No True Scotsman is an informal fallacy. It's not the same as saying 2 = 35. To amplify, sometimes you can say "No True X is also Y" and you'd be correct. Example: "No true Shakespeare sonnet was penned by Homer".

There are hundreds of millions of Christians who believe as I do. There are hundreds of millions who don't. And? Either Jesus Christ rose from the grave, or He didn't or He never existed and is a myth. Three possibilities, two incorrect, one correct. Either a true Christian is a faith Christian or they are a faith and works Christian. Two possibilities.

If you want me to specify exactly what a Christian is then receive a No True Scotsman for my trouble, perhaps you won't mind specifying what an atheist is/believes? I see no lack of contention about THAT here.

In the immortal words of Gandalf, "Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I'm trying to help you." I have no problem saying what a true Christian is or correct doctrine is.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 02:25 PM
(16-10-2014 02:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

No True Scotsman is an informal fallacy. It's not the same as saying 2 = 35. To amplify, sometimes you can say "No True X is also Y" and you'd be correct. Example: "No true Shakespeare sonnet was penned by Homer".

There are hundreds of millions of Christians who believe as I do. There are hundreds of millions who don't. And? Either Jesus Christ rose from the grave, or He didn't or He never existed and is a myth. Three possibilities, two incorrect, one correct. Either a true Christian is a faith Christian or they are a faith and works Christian. Two possibilities.

If you want me to specify exactly what a Christian is then receive a No True Scotsman for my trouble, perhaps you won't mind specifying what an atheist is/believes? I see no lack of contention about THAT here.

In the immortal words of Gandalf, "Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I'm trying to help you." I have no problem saying what a true Christian is or correct doctrine is.

Thanks.

You can only define what you believe a true Christian is. There are hundreds of millions of Christians who disagree with you.

You must provide evidence as to why your definition is correct and theirs isn't.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. Why do we have to keep repeating this to you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-10-2014, 02:40 PM
(16-10-2014 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 02:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Thanks.

You can only define what you believe a true Christian is. There are hundreds of millions of Christians who disagree with you.

You must provide evidence as to why your definition is correct and theirs isn't.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. Why do we have to keep repeating this to you?

The evidence is the text. The refined evidence is the interpretation of the text - are cultural and historical contexts accurate? Are terms clear in English from the Greek and Hebrew, etc. Bucky Ball reminds me today that we cannot say Jesus said, only and rather that the Text says. So a "Christian" who isn't text-based is making crap up, yes? No?

You will need to keep repeating Atheism is a lack of belief in gods because there's a thread in this forum right now that is raging, again.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
16-10-2014, 02:43 PM
(16-10-2014 02:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can only define what you believe a true Christian is. There are hundreds of millions of Christians who disagree with you.

The evidence is the text. The refined evidence is the interpretation of the text - are cultural and historical contexts accurate? Are terms clear in English from the Greek and Hebrew, etc. Bucky Ball reminds me today that we cannot say Jesus said, only and rather that the Text says. So a "Christian" who isn't text-based is making crap up, yes? No?

Your text is the claim, not the evidence.

Quote:You will need to keep repeating Atheism is a lack of belief in gods because there's a thread in this forum right now that is raging, again.

What thread? Raging about what?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I think the only way to really determine Diddo97's guilt is to submit him to all of these trials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_ordeal
16-10-2014, 08:11 PM
(16-10-2014 02:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can only define what you believe a true Christian is. There are hundreds of millions of Christians who disagree with you.

You will need to keep repeating Atheism is a lack of belief in gods because there's a thread in this forum right now that is raging, again.

Yes, and you boil it down to YOUR interpretation vs many others interpretations.(many of which don't agree with you interpretation)

So your argument isn't boiled down to what the text says. it's down to what you say it says verse what john doe or the pope say it says... And there's no other rational or true justification you are giving to believe yours is more accurate.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Quote:='The Q Continuum' pid='666615' dateline='1413492056'The evidence is the text.

Ya sorry claims are not evidence, nor can a claim be used as evidence for that self same claim. For the biblical account to come close to being evidence it has to be shown to accurately map to reality and the corroborating evidence which means you have to look outside the text.

The bible fails this test miserably.

Discussions about the meaning of the text are on the same level of debating the merits of individual Pokemon. You can do it, but what you are talking about is make believe.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
17-10-2014, 06:40 AM
(15-10-2014 05:18 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

I think he lives next to the True Scotsman.

The true Scotsman is a true Christian. Incidentally, this also means that it is a requirement for true Christians to eat haggis.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post