The Trials of Ted Haggard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 12:23 PM
The Trials of Ted Haggard
Another one of Alexandra Pelosi's documentaries, she had previously covered Ted Haggard when he was Pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs in her film Friends of God. Here's an extraordinary look into the life of Pastor Ted after his fall from grace. You come away feeling sorry for Ted and I think he got a little dose of his own medicine which softened him up on the subject of homosexuality. You also walk away holding Pastor Ted's former church, New Life, in a lot of contempt for its inability to forgive - didn't Jesus do that - Ted for what he did and continually persecuting him throughout the movie.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: The Trials of Ted Haggard
That whole family is fucked, man.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Ted Haggard is not like all the other infamous American preachers, something sets him apart. I can't put my finger on it, but it has a sad feel to it, a tragedy. Besides the whole scandal, even seeing him and his family now just has something about it unlike the other scandals. His lie is so obvious and the delusion... I don't know. I find it super interesting. He was on wife swap a little while ago, so strange and... desperate?
16-05-2012, 01:01 PM
(16-05-2012 12:48 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ted Haggard is not like all the other infamous American preachers, something sets him apart. I can't put my finger on it, but it has a sad feel to it, a tragedy. Besides the whole scandal, even seeing him and his family now just has something about it unlike the other scandals. His lie is so obvious and the delusion... I don't know. I find it super interesting. He was on wife swap a little while ago, so strange and... desperate?
I'll go out on a limb and suggest the reason you're sensing this is different is because I think he truly is conflicted. Most people are quick to condemn his hypocrisy...preaching against homosexuality and drugs, etc, and then carrying out that lifestyle. To share a page from my own memoirs, I was a True Believer in every way. I gave my entire life over to the Lord's Service. I believed what was in his Word and I truly wanted to live by it and to help others to also live an Abundant life in the light and love of Christ. It was all so meaningful, so beautiful, so powerful. I became a full time pastor at the age of 23. I was a virgin until I was 28...not because I was as hideous as I am now, but because it was important to me to follow God's will for my life. I never got married, and I was a pastor until I was 39...therefore, if you do the math you'll see that I was sexually active as a pastor. I felt horrible about this. So conflicted. So filled with guilt. Such a hypocrite. Yet the reality is, as we all know, sex is a very powerful force in the human animal. So, while it's easy to condemn folks like Haggard, I think I understand a bit of his dilemma. I do not believe he went into ministry to deceive people. I believe he had homosexual desires but believed as a Christian that these urges were sinful and so he compartmentalized and sublimated and repressed his desires with every fiber of his being...except the fiber of his being which made him gay, or at least Bisexual. I believe he earnestly wanted to serve God, love his wife, and help others into the way of Everlasting Life. But I also assume his homosexuality remained boiling beneath the surface. Probably the drugs were a way to deal with the guilt feelings. While he was high, he could let himself act without shameful inhibitions and do the sorts of sex acts he was born to do. I think we all got a little bit excited when his story broke about hiring male prosti tutes, buying meth and lying about it, but LJ, I also think that's why you sense something different in his scandal. I don't think he ever sought out to live a dual life. It's just that he could not break himself away from the toxic beliefs he held that made him try to repress the irrepressible.
Of course, this could all be biased speculation and maybe he was just born a douche. But I doubt it.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I think you've nailed it. Ted so whole heartedly believes what he does but is conflicted by his natural self. And his wife, and now his kids. When it all broke on the news I never thought it was a scandal on Ted's behalf, just a sad story. And the tragic part is the sad story continues, and the internal conflict is still there. Other church scandals are usually so premeditated, but this one is a victim.

Thank you for sharing your story, too. Funny how things we struggle with can help us to relate to each other more, adding insight and understanding.
16-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Along the lines of compassion for his family, I have a dear friend who married someone she thought was a great Christian man. She found out later that he had been in one of those ministries that pray the gay out of you. He so dearly believed that God would "heal" him that he completely tried repressing his gayness. But alas, as a tiger will show his stripes, a repressed gay man will become bitter and angry. He became very cruel to my friend and mean to his two boys. After an abusive incident, she had a restraining order put on him and asked him to move out. Suddenly she became the enemy to the church. How dare she treat this godly man so harshly. How dare she suggest he was anything but an upright hetero member of the congregation? All of this went on to devestate her as she did think it was her fault. If only she was seductive enough then maybe he would desire her. If only she knew more about how to have sex (he was her only partner), then maybe they would have had sex more than the 3 or 4 times it took to conceive their boys in a 13 year marriage. So yes, it's sad for the person going through the impossible struggles, but it is also devestating to the psyche of the family (and probably his church members too). It's all so sad, and so preventable in a world without religion.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-05-2012, 02:34 PM
(16-05-2012 12:48 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ted Haggard is not like all the other infamous American preachers, something sets him apart. I can't put my finger on it, but it has a sad feel to it, a tragedy. Besides the whole scandal, even seeing him and his family now just has something about it unlike the other scandals. His lie is so obvious and the delusion... I don't know. I find it super interesting. He was on wife swap a little while ago, so strange and... desperate?
I know what you mean. Ted is a very tragic figure. I think we feel this way because I think Haggard was in conflict with his sexuality (I agree with him that he is probably bi-sexual). He also never seemed as vitriolic as some other fundamentalists eg you knew Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were both hateful little bigots who found their excuse to do so against gays or atheists justified in the Bible. There always seemed to be more of a 'pureness' to Ted's spirit. I don't think he was a malevolent or hateful individual - more like naive. And I also think that, while the experience of his fall from grace was very trying for him and his family, it may have opened their eyes and let them 'walk a mile in the shoes' of the heretics. Ted quickly learned about how much his church family loved him and was willing to support him in these hard times.

I've often said that if Jesus were alive today, people would want to kill him within 10 days. But it's not the atheists or the liberals who would be charging up Golgotha with the hammer and nails in their hands and venom in their fangs, it would be the devout Christians ready to do this. There's no love of God in them; they're a totalitarian machination which uses America's reverence for the Bible and faith as a cover to propagate their insidious hegemony and justify their ruthless resolve. Ted got a taste of that in this scandal. And the saddest thing of all, at least for the evangelicals, is that, by axing Ted Haggard to remove gays from their leadership, they canned the best leader they ever had. None of the people at New Life who replaced Ted could organize and lead as well as he could and the church never fully recovered from the scandal.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
16-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Not to be flippant, because this is indeed a sad story for many reasons, but I like Roy Zimmerman's take on it:

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
16-05-2012, 09:05 PM
(16-05-2012 08:58 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Not to be flippant, because this is indeed a sad story for many reasons, but I like Roy Zimmerman's take on it:

(16-05-2012 08:58 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Darn, you beat me to posting this Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
16-05-2012, 10:22 PM
The whole story is sad.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy