The Tricky Notion of Karma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2011, 07:49 PM
RE: The Tricky Notion of Karma
(08-08-2011 01:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Might still opt for extinction.Undecided

My best guess, your wish is granted. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't think karma is necessarily theistic, but it is mysticism, so to me falls under the heading of "woo". I think you find a lot of atheists who disbelieve in things like karma more out of skepticism and scientific materialism than atheism per-se. Those of us who come to atheism out of a scientific materialist metaphysics are generally very skeptical of the extraordinary claims of mysticism, for cause. Mystical thinking--as opposed to logic, reason and scientific method--is ultimately the underlying mindset of all religion, and on that basis many atheists, myself included, approach all concepts based in revealed (as opposed to discovered) knowledge as suspect.
10-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Consider this. We are all GODS! Has anyone ever notice that when we want something so bad and use our focus on it long enough it comes? Yes time is an effort to withstand but no one can deny that what is in the mind of the individual manifest by the individuals will. Take the effort of goal planning. which take effort and focus, yet it's the though that is the seed we plant in our minds. We are creators of our own destiny, will we ever be unified in it? Well, that's up to us. Now is it?
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
(10-08-2011 09:30 AM)Autumnwind Wrote:  Consider this. We are all GODS! Has anyone ever notice that when we want something so bad and use our focus on it long enough it comes? Yes time is an effort to withstand but no one can deny that what is in the mind of the individual manifest by the individuals will. Take the effort of goal planning. which take effort and focus, yet it's the though that is the seed we plant in our minds. We are creators of our own destiny, will we ever be unified in it? Well, that's up to us. Now is it?

"Has anyone ever notice that when we want something so bad and use our focus on it long enough it comes?"
I can't say that I have noticed that. You can want something badly and never get it no matter how much you focus your mind on it. I'm pretty sure people starving to death want food badly but don't get it or parents who's child is dieing want them to have life yet the child dies. Those examples show a huge flaw in that idea.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
10-08-2011, 01:40 PM
(10-08-2011 09:30 AM)Autumnwind Wrote:  Consider this. We are all GODS! ..... We are creators of our own destiny, will we ever be unified in it? Well, that's up to us. Now is it?

This is the Secret and the Law of Attraction succinctly packaged. Both failed ideas, but ones that garnered their proponents a lot of cash. You can fool some of the people all the time.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
11-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Yeah, this idea that if you want something badly it will happen, that is BS. Want all you want, it will not happen, same as it is with prayer, pray all you want, you won't make a difference. Sometimes things happen as you wished, but that is called chance. Simple chance nothing more, nothing less. Chance on which you can influence not by thinking about it, but doing things that will help you get what you want, meaning, working for the things you want, not praying for them.

Now about karma, that was always an interesting concept for me. A lot of times when something really good happened to me, some short time after it something equally bad happens. That keeps following me for quite some time now and I really don't know what to think about that all, because I am not superstitious and I do believe in chance. For some reason I have a feeling my life balances itself, so I have a bit of a different view on karma, it is not what I do, it is what happens to me. Of course if that was the case, that means what I do influences others and their karmas. That is why I tend to keep thing as neutral as I can, always balancing my actions, so I don't disturb the balance of the universe around me too much. This new idea of mine interferes with my understanding of "chance" and how everything happens by some kind of chance, but still, it is weird for me, i still have to connect those two concepts into something new and until I do, I will not concern myself with it, it will come to me as it always does, naturally.

About meditation, I was studying (or whatever is the right word, but it is not training) Aikido for 3 years and there I learned about Zen, meditation, Japanese ways of thinking, bushido and how to break your arm in many, many ways... Smile I must say I really like some, if not all of those ideas. Balance, equality, center, zen...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
11-08-2011, 06:04 AM
(11-08-2011 04:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  ...Now about karma, that was always an interesting concept for me. A lot of times when something really good happened to me, some short time after it something equally bad happens. That keeps following me for quite some time now and I really don't know what to think about that all, because I am not superstitious and I do believe in chance...

To me this sounds like a confirmation bias. Add to it the idea intrinsic in the karmic philosophy that consciousness of karmic action negates karmic action, and and it all seems rather unprovable. As far as it goes karma seems to me a relatively harmless form of mysticism, so if the concepts help you live a better life, why not? If however we are talking about a search for truth, I think it falls short.
[+] 1 user Likes BadKnees's post
11-08-2011, 06:27 AM
@ BadKnees

Yes, you are quite right, for me it is something to help me look at the world around me, but not something I will hold on to if my life was depending on it... I take it as only one small part of everything that surrounds me, it helps me have my own philosophy of life, universe and everything else. And I mean in my philosophical view of life, universe and everything else, not in scientific way, I don't mix those two, I know what is philosophy and what is science and reality...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
(09-08-2011 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-08-2011 01:06 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Might still opt for extinction.Undecided

My best guess, your wish is granted. Wink

"One EGGStinction to go and forget the fries." Hey G.M. could you elaborate on "the sack" We are debating it over here.Big Grin
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 09:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2011 09:30 AM)Autumnwind Wrote:  Consider this. We are all GODS!

Why yes, yes as a matter of fact I have considered it. Biocentrism. Wink

(11-08-2011 02:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Hey G.M. could you elaborate on "the sack" We are debating it over here.Big Grin

You mean it's not universally understood? Okay, I'll give it a shot. But "just grow a sack" is the literal advice I gave to all 3 of my sons. I mean they all got it right away. But I'll try to elaborate:

just grow a satchel
just grow a coin purse
just grow some balls
just grow some gonads
just grow some nads
just grow some testicles
just man up
just cowboy up
just buck up little trooper
just stop being a fucking pussy ... I'm sure there are many more. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.