The Tricky Notion of Karma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2011, 04:10 AM

RE: The Tricky Notion of Karma
(11-08-2011 04:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, this idea that if you want something badly it will happen, that is BS. Want all you want, it will not happen, same as it is with prayer, pray all you want, you won't make a difference. Sometimes things happen as you wished, but that is called chance. Simple chance nothing more, nothing less. Chance on which you can influence not by thinking about it, but doing things that will help you get what you want, meaning, working for the things you want, not praying for them.

Now about karma, that was always an interesting concept for me. A lot of times when something really good happened to me, some short time after it something equally bad happens. That keeps following me for quite some time now and I really don't know what to think about that all, because I am not superstitious and I do believe in chance. For some reason I have a feeling my life balances itself, so I have a bit of a different view on karma, it is not what I do, it is what happens to me. Of course if that was the case, that means what I do influences others and their karmas. That is why I tend to keep thing as neutral as I can, always balancing my actions, so I don't disturb the balance of the universe around me too much. This new idea of mine interferes with my understanding of "chance" and how everything happens by some kind of chance, but still, it is weird for me, i still have to connect those two concepts into something new and until I do, I will not concern myself with it, it will come to me as it always does, naturally.

About meditation, I was studying (or whatever is the right word, but it is not training) Aikido for 3 years and there I learned about Zen, meditation, Japanese ways of thinking, bushido and how to break your arm in many, many ways... Smile I must say I really like some, if not all of those ideas. Balance, equality, center, zen...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's BS according to your knowledge and wisdom but proven in mine own experiences. Never should anyone discredit the mode of operation when in comes to manifestation in anyone's life for we are all unique in extreme ways, believe it or not. That's great that you've acquired a method that works for you, after all this isn't a contest of will's now is it. Everyone's mental evolution comes in very different ways and should be accepted as such. One mode or operation should not placed higher than another. There is enough calamity in the universe to simply obliterate this tiny marble without a blink of an eye, all of which we have no control over. But my belief is to recognize that the events of the universe affect tides the minds of all in intricate ways, whether it be incredible events or mild subtle changes in the union of this world. (In which may only be seen and widely unbelieving when we are faced with a threat even more vicious than we human beings). And in essence, the word (being) in itself speaks of power for it is of a greater source. All souls are of ether, an entity with limits. Had it not been, our struggle for power over each other would result in total destruction for it is the prime order of an evolved beast of this land.
------------------This may be a highly under estimated synapses----------------------
Comment as anyone see's fit for all wisdom is but a brief wind in the cosmos. Recognize real law and not the law of man. It's those laws that are insignificant to the universe.
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2011, 07:21 AM
First of all I am an atheist, full blown, and as such I do not believe in soul. I believe in my mind and the incredible thoughts I can come up with, but not a soul made of ether. If you wished for something really, really bad and it does happen, maybe, just maybe it didn't happen because of you and your wishes, but because it happened, pure and simple, by chance, or by chain of events that led to that particular "happening". So, no, thank you for your thoughts, but it is very unlikely you will find a lot of people who will agree with you here, on this forum.

Secondly, concerning laws, I recognize laws of nature, physics. That is not something made up by man, that is only something we (people) have interpreted and written down, but they are the laws of the Universe, they can not be changed or manipulated, nor can they be broken and they are all that matters in and for the Universe. The only law of man I recognize is the laws of my state, the Republic of Croatia, which I have to follow, otherwise I will end up in jail and that does not make too much sense now, does it?

There is one thing I do agree with you and that is your statement that we are all Gods. In a way I agree with you, my point is that we need to start respecting ourselves and each other the same way we respect these "Gods"... By we I mean people in general.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
(12-08-2011 07:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  First of all I am an atheist, full blown, and as such I do not believe in soul.

AutumnWind is just postulating on the power of the mind. I got no problem with that.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-08-2011, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2011 08:17 AM by Filox.)
I know he is and that is all fine, but I can not except that we (humans) can manipulate the cosmos with our mind. We can however control our thoughts, feeling, even our body and its functions, but to control stuff around us, fate of other people and our fate, we would have to be telepathic and telekinetic and we are not. If he believes we are, OK, fine, but I can not accept that as a fact. It is funny how strange chains of events at certain times can make someone believe in a lot of supernatural things, but if something like Big Bang, or supernova can happen without anything supernatural, then everything else (for me) is also something natural and it all follows some strange chain of events.

Here is something for you all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZse3boWwxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQq_XmhBTgg

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
13-08-2011, 05:25 PM
(13-08-2011 08:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  I know he is and that is all fine, but I can not except that we (humans) can manipulate the cosmos with our mind.

I'm not at all sure that we are not creating (making manifest, bringing into existence, collapsing the probability waves) the cosmos with our minds. Biocentrism.

Loved the Leary vids btw.

15-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Hmmm, making changes is the cosmos and collapsing the probability waves, yes, but not with our minds, but with our actions and interactions with and on this world. So A little bit more down-to-earth approach, rather than metaphysical, for me.

-Hunter S. Thompson
15-08-2011, 06:20 PM
(15-08-2011 05:53 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hmmm, making changes is the cosmos and collapsing the probability waves, yes, but not with our minds, but with our actions and interactions with and on this world. So A little bit more down-to-earth approach, rather than metaphysical, for me.

Actions and interactions which result from the insatiable appetites of our minds. But you're right, it doesn't need to be metaphysical to be practical. Just my bent. To each his own.

12-09-2011, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 03:18 PM by TrainWreck.)
(04-08-2011 10:38 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Though the idea of karma is essentially true (every action has a reaction). And in a way if you do something good people usually treat you better the opposite is true, as well. Its unlikely to be a cosmic force that controls it. I still think its an interesting concept.
I am confident that "karma" is the same thing as commerce, in its infinite sense that any, and all, interactions of social groupings occur, and the individual is compelled to classify the perceived reactions as relative to good and bad.

(12-08-2011 07:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  There is one thing I do agree with you and that is your statement that we are all Gods. In a way I agree with you, my point is that we need to start respecting ourselves and each other the same way we respect these "Gods"... By we I mean people in general.
Doesn't work, because the problem is most people do not respect the gods - they are constantly disobeying and straying.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I stopped in a Buddhist Center on a working visit a few months ago a few miles from where from where I live. I was due to stop there for 7 days but I could only manage 3 before I left.

I only went there for the experience......but I was left feeling highly let down because Buddhism at its roots is just another religion much like any other. The difference with Buddhism though is it isnt scared of being hipocritcal.

You are not supposed to eat meat because of re-incarnation......as in you could possibly kill a family member/friend from a previous life. HOWEVER......if you are offered meat either through charity or you wish not to offend you can eat the meat, as long as you say some extra prayers........the same can be said with anything that goes againt the "rules" of buddhism.......just say some extra prayers.

They have 7 stages towards "heaven" and 7 stages towards "hell" (sound similar)

I think they were glad to see me go TBH caus I was asking some very tough questions of them lol.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-09-2011, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2011 12:03 PM by TrainWreck.)
(12-09-2011 03:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  . . . I could only manage 3 before I left.
That bad, huh? Good food and a place to sleep, was not compensation enough to prove that you could do it without permitting yourself to believe in a supernatural???

Are these working visits free? Are they going on all the time? Is there a sign-up process? I am interested.
So as to accommodate the derail let's move this to this thread. http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...-Questions

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool