The Trolle Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
The Trolle Problem
I was talking with a girl tonight about the famous trolley problem. I assume most (here) the actual problem. Assume....here I am making an ass out of me.....anyway. for tnise that don't know its essneentially about choosing to end a single life in favor of saving 5. All lives being innocent.

The girl I was talkth said something im not sure if its a 'legitimate' response. In terms of the fat man twist of the puzzle, she said she could not push the guy in front of the train but would jump in front of it, assuming she had the mass to bring the train to a halt. While this response gives an interesting insight into her outlook on the world andmorality....is it a valid maneuver?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 05:45 AM
RE: The Trolle Problem
No. It was a response I had too.
I saw some youtube clip that explained that this response is a considered response not an instinctive one. Given that it was a long time ago that I was first asked the question, I could not be sure if I had had the above response maybe a few milli-seconds after thinking about offing the fat dude.

I also had the thought... what if the fat dude was a clergyman?... which makes it a no-brainer

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2012, 06:45 AM
RE: The Trolle Problem
Ethics is weird. From a brief read my feeling is that there are no winners, someone's going to die, why bother with questions of degree? Just do what feels right to you. This hair splitting over who's responsible and who has a right not to die is beside the point - if it was an actual decision in an actual situation you wouldn't have long to react, you'd just do the thing which came most naturally to you - and if that was to watch in shock as 5 people died, well... that's life. If it's to murder some fat guy who's standing next to you - again. Tough break but you can hardly say that it's unfair. Human ethics is an artificial standard. Sorry if I'm rambling...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post