The True Costs of Not Vaccinating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 02:19 AM
RE: The True Costs of Not Vaccinating
(17-07-2013 01:14 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  This might answer your question http://www.vaccines.gov/basics/protection/index.html

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted, although I'm still a bit confused.

(17-07-2013 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The simple answer is that no vaccine is 100% effective. People vary in their immune response to it.

If no vaccine is 100% effective, then the danger for those who are vaccinated is the same whether others vaccinate or not, right? My immune response to the disease is irrelevant to how many people are vaccinated. Aren't I supposed to have the same "protection" against the disease whether other people vaccinate or not?

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 06:47 AM
(18-07-2013 02:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  The simple answer is that no vaccine is 100% effective. People vary in their immune response to it.

If no vaccine is 100% effective, then the danger for those who are vaccinated is the same whether others vaccinate or not, right? My immune response to the disease is irrelevant to how many people are vaccinated. Aren't I supposed to have the same "protection" against the disease whether other people vaccinate or not?

No, vaccines are highly effective but the resistance in any given person is not 100% - it can be overwhelmed by high levels of the infectious organism. The basis of herd immunity is that it keeps the occurrence of the infectious organism low. Most people will be able to thwart infection, the organism can't multiply effectively.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-07-2013, 07:31 AM
keep in mind that its not an 'all or none' protection. Some people who are vaxxed may indeed come down with the disease, but may not get a full blown infection. They will typically recover quicker and won't be as ill as others.

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing
22-07-2013, 04:55 PM
(18-07-2013 02:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  If no vaccine is 100% effective, then the danger for those who are vaccinated is the same whether others vaccinate or not, right? My immune response to the disease is irrelevant to how many people are vaccinated.

Your immune response is only one factor; another is how frequently you're exposed to infected people.

If, for example, a vaccine is only 60% effective, and you're the only one vaccinated, you have up to a 40% chance of getting infected (depending on how infectious the disease is). The more people are infected, the less the chance of you being exposed to infected people, so if it didn't 'take' for you, you'll have a better chance of staying healthy if others get vaccinated, too.

(18-07-2013 02:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Aren't I supposed to have the same "protection" against the disease whether other people vaccinate or not?

Look at it like this: vaccinating is like going home from a party sober. You've lowered your chances of getting into an accident while driving home. But unless other people drive sober, too, there's still a higher chance than necessary of getting into an accident. And even if everyone is sober, there are still accidents.