The True Meaning of Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2014, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 07:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The True Meaning of Religion
(21-08-2014 06:01 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  Now; when you use the term religion you are not referring to the spiritual content of an organized religion, you are referring to its Code of Law that the organisation is based on. Religion is related to the Hammurabi constitution, technically the constitution of a nation is religious in nature, technically the rules and regulations that govern the Boy Scouts makes it a religion. The word religion is actually quite broad, but cultural evolution has made it take on a new meaning, and that is related to the spiritual content that often accompanies the Code of Law.

Best not to tell me what I mean when I use a word when you don't know me. I know what I mean, and the the law codes of various religions are based on the content of their system, not the actual belief system itself. No Catholic or Jew or Anglican would say they "believe" in Canon Law. You just contradicted yourself :

1. when you use the term religion you are not referring to the spiritual content of an organized religion, you are referring to its Code of Law that the organization is based on

2. The word religion is actually quite broad, but cultural evolution has made it take on a new meaning, and that is related to the spiritual content that often accompanies the Code of Law.

So which is it ?

You repeatedly misspell "organization". Hmmm. Consider No spell checker, or no brain ?

Your generalizations with no supporting documentation, lead me to think you are latest internet nut inflicting his unsupported cray cray on us.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: The True Meaning of Religion
Semantics arguments are so frustrating and ultimately seem to be of little use because in the end, we almost always agree on the points being made but are quibbling over specifics. When people use terms to describe themselves or their beliefs, I take them at face value.

When it comes to atheism as being either a disbelief in a god(s) or a lack of belief in any god(s), they are the same definition in essence and are (at the very least) not mutually exclusive. If I lack a belief in any god, I disbelieve in it. If I disbelieve in a god, then I lack a belief in it. It matters not which definition of atheism I use, although some would like to apply a descriptor to atheism as either "strong" or "weak" atheism so as to specify which definition that they are specifically using, as if it matters.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply