"The Truman Show" — The Best Atheistic Movie Ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I re-watched one of my favorites, "The Truman Show," for the first time in a really long time and it occurred to me that it's really a beautiful allegory for leaving religion. Makes me want to watch it again right away, so I can pinpoint some of the more subtle symbolisms (although once you realize it, so much of the symbolism is anything BUT subtle).

Truman's first brush with evidence of the outside world in the opening scene is a light (light bulb = idea) falling from the sky. Upon inspection, Truman sees that it's labeled "Sirius" (i.e. serious), the brightest star in the night sky.

If you haven't seen this movie, SPOILER ALERT!!! Don't watch this clip from the ending, and go out and watch the whole movie. If you have seen the movie, check out how much this scene drives the entire concept home.

Has anyone else made this connection, and can offer further analysis?

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Human Being's post
13-07-2013, 12:25 PM
RE: "The Truman Show" — The Best Atheistic Movie Ever
One of the very few Jim Carry movies I liked. In fact I didn't see for a long time because I can't stand him.

It's streaming on Netflix.

Never really thought of it as an allegory for leaving religion tho.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-07-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2013 01:28 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
I feel the same, mum. I recently learned Jimmy's an anti-vaccine movement supporter.

[Image: 200px-Red_smile.JPG]

I didn't see any allegory for leaving religion when I saw it, either. The Epic that is Morgan Freeman was in it. That counts, right?? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
15-07-2013, 02:51 PM
The Truman Show is a terrific movie and I love it also. But Atheism? The whole movie is about repentance, contrition, sorrow, manipulative media, and control/slavery. We root for Truman who is a captive determined to be free and who breaks every bond of what has been pre-determined for him. It's a Christian film IMHO.
15-07-2013, 07:28 PM
do you guys know any other atheistic movies?
15-07-2013, 08:42 PM
(15-07-2013 07:28 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  do you guys know any other atheistic movies?

The sci-fi comedy, Paul, has some great dialogue about atheism and evolution.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-07-2013, 10:10 PM
(13-07-2013 01:23 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I feel the same, mum. I recently learned Jimmy's an anti-vaccine movement supporter.

[Image: 200px-Red_smile.JPG]

I didn't see any allegory for leaving religion when I saw it, either. The Epic that is Morgan Freeman was in it. That counts, right?? Big Grin

Nope. Because Morgan Freeman is not in The Truman Show. He's in Bruce Almighty Smile
16-07-2013, 02:06 AM
(15-07-2013 08:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 07:28 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  do you guys know any other atheistic movies?

18-12-2014, 10:36 AM
(15-07-2013 02:51 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The Truman Show is a terrific movie and I love it also. But Atheism? The whole movie is about repentance, contrition, sorrow, manipulative media, and control/slavery. We root for Truman who is a captive determined to be free and who breaks every bond of what has been pre-determined for him. It's a Christian film IMHO.
Nope, sorry, who is repentant/contrite? Not Truman, and certainly not the cast and crew...

You'd have to do more to convince me. For me, this movie is an almost perfect metaphor, perhaps with the twist that Christoff himself is simply a metaphor for Truman's own beliefs, of which he eventually learns to let go.

But hey, go ahead, convince me...happy to be wrong...
18-12-2014, 10:48 AM
(15-07-2013 08:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Paul is a great movie, but only touches on Atheism as a counterpoint to Ruth's Christian fundamentalism.

"The Invention of Lying" is better as a movie on atheism as it places the absurdity of religion at the heart of the story. Plus it is truly hilarious.

Of course, there are always the Monty Python staples: "The Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life"... Smile
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post