"The Truman Show" — The Best Atheistic Movie Ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 08:50 AM by unfogged.)
RE: "The Truman Show" — The Best Atheistic Movie Ever
(18-12-2014 10:36 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 02:51 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The Truman Show is a terrific movie and I love it also. But Atheism? The whole movie is about repentance, contrition, sorrow, manipulative media, and control/slavery. We root for Truman who is a captive determined to be free and who breaks every bond of what has been pre-determined for him. It's a Christian film IMHO.
Nope, sorry, who is repentant/contrite? Not Truman, and certainly not the cast and crew...

You'd have to do more to convince me. For me, this movie is an almost perfect metaphor, perhaps with the twist that Christoff himself is simply a metaphor for Truman's own beliefs, of which he eventually learns to let go.

But hey, go ahead, convince me...happy to be wrong...

Truman thought his little world was real; it wasn't until he discovered that there was a greater reality that he understood the whole truth.Drinking Beverage

Then again, it wasn't a particularly good movie although it was probably the only Jim Carrey movies where he didn't make it unwatchable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I just rewatched Truman too. seems I saw an article or interview about it being atheist theme, then saw it when I was flipping channels.

I recently just saw a clip of the Star Trek series about 50 Humanism clips of Star Trek or something like that.

Growing up my Dad always watched Star Trek, and while I watched many if the episodes I guess I never really paid attention to the deeper messages, probably because I was just a kid, but I wish they would update it and keep the message. I want to watch them again, but not sure if I can handle cheesy 70's acting and effects. lol.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
18-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Christof: "I am the Creator... ...of a television show"

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-12-2014, 11:13 AM
(18-12-2014 11:12 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Christof: "I am the Creator... ...of a television show"
Laugh out load

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
18-12-2014, 11:19 AM
[quote='Human Being' pid='339866' dateline='1373734280']
I re-watched one of my favorites, "The Truman Show," for the first time in a really long time and it occurred to me that it's really a beautiful allegory for leaving religion.

It's also one of the best science-fiction films—yes, really—I've ever seen, exploring the very SF notion of solipsism. In broad outline, the film parallels Philip K. Dick's novel, "Time Out of Joint."

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
18-12-2014, 11:20 AM
(18-12-2014 10:36 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 02:51 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The Truman Show is a terrific movie and I love it also. But Atheism? The whole movie is about repentance, contrition, sorrow, manipulative media, and control/slavery. We root for Truman who is a captive determined to be free and who breaks every bond of what has been pre-determined for him. It's a Christian film IMHO.
Nope, sorry, who is repentant/contrite? Not Truman, and certainly not the cast and crew...

You'd have to do more to convince me. For me, this movie is an almost perfect metaphor, perhaps with the twist that Christoff himself is simply a metaphor for Truman's own beliefs, of which he eventually learns to let go.

But hey, go ahead, convince me...happy to be wrong...

You do realize that was written a year and a half ago, right?

I've never understood why timestamps are practically invisible to most people on the Internet.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
18-12-2014, 01:05 PM
I liked it, but I'll take The Life of Brian, The Ledge, or that Aussie film the man who sued god? or something close to that name as a better atheistic flick

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-12-2014, 04:04 PM
I always saw the first Matrix film like that...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Never seen it before, what makes it so atheistic?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
19-12-2014, 12:40 PM
(18-12-2014 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You do realize that was written a year and a half ago, right?

Yes I do, thanks.

(18-12-2014 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've never understood why timestamps are practically invisible to most people on the Internet.

Hmm, funny. I've never understood why some people jump to conclusions too readily. Smile

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.