"The Truman Show" anyone else relate to it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 01:54 PM
"The Truman Show" anyone else relate to it?
I watched it again recently, and felt like it was kind of an analogy of my life. At age 61, sailing towards the end of my life through various storms and Bam!- run in to the edge of the Christian experience and find out it's all a big fakeout.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LJonny61's post
04-01-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: "The Truman Show" anyone else relate to it?
I figure it'll be the opposite with me. I'll live my life as an atheist, then die and at the end of the light I'll plop out in front of a celestial studio audience applauding and begging for an encore.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-01-2017, 02:35 PM
I've been knocked out by more seizures than I can remember, any one of which might have killed me.
Never saw any white light, heard any harps, or felt any personal experience with jeebus.
Mostly I just feel real shitty for about an hour after I wake up.
04-01-2017, 02:40 PM
(04-01-2017 01:54 PM)LJonny61 Wrote:  I watched it again recently, and felt like it was kind of an analogy of my life. At age 61, sailing towards the end of my life through various storms and Bam!- run in to the edge of the Christian experience and find out it's all a big fakeout.

Funny you wrote this, I had a similar reaction to it. As I watched the movie I recall thinking that i felt like that when I believed in a god. Then when I began to see that religion was all a giant iie.

The only difference was that instead of actors pretending to believe everything is real, people are with me all believing until they uncover the reality.

I think it was Seth that used to talk in old podcasts about the "god glasses" and I totally got that. Seeing everything through that prism or lens does alter your perspective, just as taking them off and seeing it for what it truly is.

There are people, really good people, that truly believed they were doing god's work or god had a plan for them, however you wish to word it, and they're not lying to others about their feelings. I get it. Just as there are some just looking to make a buck and probably don't believe a word they say and rely on parlor tricks and fake miracles.

I think all humanity is capable of being both good and bad, even at nearly the same time.

Just my very long two cents on what should be simple....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-01-2017, 04:46 PM
(04-01-2017 02:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  I've been knocked out by more seizures than I can remember, any one of which might have killed me.
Never saw any white light, heard any harps, or felt any personal experience with jeebus.
Mostly I just feel real shitty for about an hour after I wake up.

I'd be more inclined to take those near death stories seriously if they weren't all so different. There's usually a black tunnel and a bright light at some point, but everything else and the sequence of events are all radically different. Some claim they saw Hell, others claim a beautiful meadow, sometimes Grandma shows up, sometimes an angel shows up, sometimes Jesus shows up, etc.
04-01-2017, 05:08 PM
(04-01-2017 02:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Funny you wrote this, I had a similar reaction to it. As I watched the movie I recall thinking that i felt like that when I believed in a god. Then when I began to see that religion was all a giant iie.

I think it was Seth that used to talk in old podcasts about the "god glasses" and I totally got that. Seeing everything through that prism or lens does alter your perspective, just as taking them off and seeing it for what it truly is.

I never thought this would ever happen to me, that I could lose my faith. I wish there was a loving God and Heaven where I will spend eternity with all my family and friends!
But the "God Glasses" are gone now, and the longer you have them off the clearer you see reality, and how absurd the arguments in support of the Bible are. I actually heard a guy claim that we can trust that the New Testament is true because it was written in Greek not Hebrew, and it is much easier to lie in Hebrew.
04-01-2017, 06:01 PM
(04-01-2017 05:08 PM)LJonny61 Wrote:  I actually heard a guy claim that we can trust that the New Testament is true because it was written in Greek not Hebrew, and it is much easier to lie in Hebrew.
Laughat Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-01-2017, 06:12 PM
(04-01-2017 06:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 05:08 PM)LJonny61 Wrote:  I actually heard a guy claim that we can trust that the New Testament is true because it was written in Greek not Hebrew, and it is much easier to lie in Hebrew.
Laughat Laugh out load

Dolos and Apate would disagree.

'Murican Canadian
04-01-2017, 11:07 PM
(04-01-2017 05:08 PM)LJonny61 Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 02:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Funny you wrote this, I had a similar reaction to it. As I watched the movie I recall thinking that i felt like that when I believed in a god. Then when I began to see that religion was all a giant iie.

I never thought this would ever happen to me, that I could lose my faith. I wish there was a loving God and Heaven where I will spend eternity with all my family and friends!
But the "God Glasses" are gone now, and the longer you have them off the clearer you see reality, and how absurd the arguments in support of the Bible are. I actually heard a guy claim that we can trust that the New Testament is true because it was written in Greek not Hebrew, and it is much easier to lie in Hebrew.

Fifteen years ago, being an atheist was the last thing I wanted. I was desperate to hang my hat on any belief that made sense. I wanted to believe. I just kept finding it impossible to believe....not just Christianity but all of them.

Today, I'm an admin on atheist forum and I'm good without god or the idea of it. What's more I see why people want to believe. They want so much to believe there is something "more."

They need to understand we make the "more" ourselves and only we can give our lives sanction and purpose.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post