The Trump Assault on Freedom Begins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2017, 07:28 PM
The Trump Assault on Freedom Begins
Not satisfied with ordering the National Parks Service to stop tweeting, Trump and his band of sycophants is now muting employees in the Environmental Protection Agency and the departments of the Interior, Transportation, Agriculture and Health and Human Services.

Press Secretary Scott Spicer apparently wasn't informed of the news, saying, "I don't know that story."

Administration officials ordered all Department of Interior bureaus "to immediately cease use of government Twitter accounts".

Sources: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/fe...own-234122

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...-1.2954647

Even Fox is covering it: http://kdvr.com/2017/01/24/trump-adminis...-epa-usda/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
24-01-2017, 07:42 PM
RE: The Trump Assault on Freedom Begins
Spicer conveniently not knowing about things he should know about when asked is fast becoming a theme with him.

Or, he just makes shit up.
24-01-2017, 07:44 PM
What's wrong with waiting until their new bosses get there to set future policy regarding social media? This is temporary.

Let me know when they shut down your twitter. I'll be right there with you for the coming battle. Ok?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-01-2017, 07:48 PM
(24-01-2017 07:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  What's wrong with waiting until their new bosses get there to set future policy regarding social media? This is temporary.

Let me know when they shut down your twitter. I'll be right there with you for the coming battle. Ok?

You don't know this is temporary any more than I do.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-01-2017, 07:52 PM
(24-01-2017 07:44 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  What's wrong with waiting until their new bosses get there to set future policy regarding social media? This is temporary.

He's shutting down the ability for the people who know what's going to get the word out. It's horrifying.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
24-01-2017, 07:58 PM
(24-01-2017 07:48 PM)pablo Wrote:  

You don't know this is temporary any more than I do.

"Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, confirmed the communications ban, but said he expected it be lifted by the end of the week."

24-01-2017, 08:02 PM
(24-01-2017 07:52 PM)ImFred Wrote:  

He's shutting down the ability for the people who know what's going to get the word out. It's horrifying.

Get the word out about what? These are government twitter accounts. You think some employee sits in a corner sending out tweets about every little thing? Twitter has been around what? 5 years? What the hell did they do before that?

Keep in mind, these temporary rules do not stop a government employee from reporting something under the whistleblower act. They can always report something illegal.

Calm down people. You're reacting to every little thing like it's the end of the world.

24-01-2017, 08:19 PM
(24-01-2017 07:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(24-01-2017 07:48 PM)pablo Wrote:  You don't know this is temporary any more than I do.

"Doug Ericksen, the communications director for Trump's transition team at EPA, confirmed the communications ban, but said he expected it be lifted by the end of the week."

People say a lot of things.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-01-2017, 08:22 PM
The thing that got people in an uproar over the NPS tweets stopping is the practical application to disseminate information to the general public. They figured that out and got those accounts going or possibly never stopped them. Here is Mt. Rainier's twitter page as an example. I refer to it any time we want to go up into the park, for road closures.
https://twitter.com/MountRainierNPS?ref_...r%5Eauthor
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
24-01-2017, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2017 08:44 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
During past administrations the executive office does get to decide what studies are released for the public consumption. They also got to set the tone of how certain issues are handled. Remember Reagan never mentioned AIDS until over a million people were either infected or had already died of the disease. While I'm mentioning it, the executive branch also can direct congress about funding. So if Trump wants to pretend that climate change isn't happening, he can have congress divert funds that would be spent and release studies that specifically show "alternative" versions of the truth or in many cases outright lies like we did see during the Bush years.

However, I have and always been against that. In the age of the internet, it's unlikely to have an affect -- Unless the fed somehow begins to limit our access -- which is possible. This means by keeping government agencies off social media they are controlling the narrative, which can result in the event of disaster information coming to the people at a far slower pace than if they were just allowed to take to social media and issue warnings or alerts about it. I'm not just talking about a huge obvious disasters -- floods or natural disasters. It could be lead levels in drinking water...Or road conditions into government parks that you'd otherwise not know about. It could also be about contaminated water inside those parks, again how will you find out if they don't tell you?

I wish the Petulant Puppet President would sign an executive order preventing him from going on twitter.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 13 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post