The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-08-2017, 05:00 AM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(04-08-2017 12:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 08:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Minority position or not, term limits are not in the Constitution. The people can decide who they want in office.

That's quite a dangerous idea IMO. Term limits exist for good reason. Abuse of power is a thing. Removing term limits when you have a good leader may seem like a great idea, but it comes back to bite you when a second rate one gets in. Also people do change once they're in power. I don't quite understand why, but they frequently do. So you can't necessarily trust someone to remain the democratic wonderful person that they were.

Then you vote them out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-08-2017, 05:03 AM
(04-08-2017 04:16 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 08:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Being a "brainiac" doesn't insure success in politics. The "bought and sold" thing is a separate issue, (money in politics), and could be solved separately. If someone IS a good representative, term limits ousts them from a job they got good at. It's a solution in search of a problem. There are a lot of other professionals in politics. They are no better or worse than the lawyers. There are a bunch of doctors. Are they any better ? No. Minority position or not, term limits are not in the Constitution. The people can decide who they want in office.

It would be an interesting stat on what percentages of which professions are currently holding office. My money is on lawyers as the OVERWHELMING number.

I believe a "brainiac" is the optimum attribute to have going into any position where one must learn the ropes as they go. Some folks are awesome at people dynamics (placing the correct mind-trusts as needed for best results) where some would excel in the political arena of ideas and problem solving, streamlining etc.

As it is now, we little guys have suffered at the hands of the same old stagnant mess for four or more decades. Funny how the two parties have grown so closer to being one party, the term RINO (repub. in name only) has true meaning, yet nothing is debated between the two and worked out anymore? Rarely does one party reach across the isle anymore! For fear of being blackballed by their chosen party for breaking the circled wagons ?
What a cluster fuc.

I pay 13% more income taxes out of my paycheck today than I did in the early 80's. Not to include the increase in local taxes. In 1993 my property taxes were $1300 + - , now it's $3300.
bottom line is ,I'm no better off for the higher cost of my government. Actually I'm in a worse position.

The government is our government's biggest problem. Need to flush that stagnant pot to get true progressive change. Some of the guys have been doing nothing for over 45 years in office, yet Joe public love their guy...Rolleyes

Poor baby ... such a victim. And I bet you sit on your ass and never once go to a party caucus and sit at home and whine about how *they* do it to you. Much easier to whine and bitch, than actually do something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-08-2017, 05:42 AM
Really?

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
04-08-2017, 06:52 AM
(03-08-2017 08:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Being a "brainiac" doesn't insure success in politics. The "bought and sold" thing is a separate issue, (money in politics), and could be solved separately. If someone IS a good representative, term limits ousts them from a job they got good at. It's a solution in search of a problem. There are a lot of other professionals in politics. They are no better or worse than the lawyers. There are a bunch of doctors. Are they any better ? No. Minority position or not, term limits are not in the Constitution. The people can decide who they want in office.

It would be an interesting stat on what percentages of which professions are currently holding office. My money is on lawyers as the OVERWHELMING number.

I believe a "brainiac" is the optimum attribute to have going into any position where one must learn the ropes as they go. Some folks are awesome at people dynamics (placing the correct mind-trusts as needed for best results) where some would excel in the political arena of ideas and problem solving, streamlining etc.

As it is now, we little guys have suffered at the hands of the same old stagnant mess for four or more decades. Funny how the two parties have grown so closer to being one party, the term RINO (repub. in name only) has true meaning, yet nothing is debated between the two and worked out anymore? Rarely does one party reach across the isle anymore! For fear of being blackballed by their chosen party for breaking the circled wagons ?
What a cluster fuc.

I pay 13% more income taxes out of my paycheck today than I did in the early 80's. Not to include the increase in local taxes. In 1993 my property taxes were $1300 + - , now it's $3300.
bottom line is ,I'm no better off for the higher cost of my government. Actually I'm in a worse position.

The government is our government's biggest problem. Need to flush that stagnant pot to get true progressive change. Some of the guys have been doing nothing for over 45 years in office, yet Joe public love their guy...Rolleyes

I think I could be an asset in office now. Not so when I was young and thought I knew everything. Fervent ideology is not a good thing in government. Dogged fact finding and lack of dogma is.

Also, if you are going to write laws, being a lawyer isn't a bad thing, is it? Or are you going to learn law by yourself while in office? There needs to be a percentage of lawyers to help phrase the laws or they are useless.

Money is the festering issue in government. Lobbies should be allowed to try to convince, but only with words and not with funds. And all these secretly funded election funds distributing crappy ads need to go, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-08-2017, 08:23 AM
(03-08-2017 08:03 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 07:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I am totally against term limits. All that does, is guarantee that a bunch of rookies are always in control of the government, and it limits my choices. I'm perfectly capable of deciding who I want to represent me, without others restricting my choices.

You are certainly entitled to that position.Thumbsup

But man, as if the past 40 years hasn't been one bought and sold rookie after another? I say fuc the professional politicians! I don't buy that a hack lawyer background beats all other potential hacks.
I actually think brainiacts from other professions would be good for a change, and Washington needs a major change.

Wish I had a 100% voting satisfaction average.
I'm sure your confidence position is in the minority -for what its worth. Shy

We have a non professional politician in the White House right now calling it "a dump".

John Kennedy once said something to the effect that mothers want their sons to be the President but they don't want them to be a politician. The problem, as others have said, is the money floating all around politicians. It rains money in Washington DC and special intrest groups from all sides are handing it out.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-08-2017, 09:29 AM
(04-08-2017 04:16 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  In 1993 my property taxes were $1300 + - , now it's $3300.

To be fair, that's only 4%/year increase.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-08-2017, 09:46 AM

What a cluster fuc.

To what do you attribute the change in taxes with your paycheck? Federal tax rates have not changed by anything close to what you are stating. Are you making the same wage as you did in the early 80's? In the same bracket, marital status, dependents, home ownership, college, etc? It just doesn't add up, sorry.

As far as real estate taxes, what is your property worth today compared to 1993? even with the bubble and pullback in prices during this decade, I'm sure you are significantly higher in FMV now compared to then, and taxes are based on the assessed value of the property. Teacher salaries aren't the same as in 1993 either, you know. It's called inflation and it doesn't ever (usually) go away. It's why we project such huge numbers needed for retirement assets when I'm talking to a client in their 40's. Today's dollars are certainly not equal to dollars 30 years from now.
04-08-2017, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 10:30 AM by BackSlider.)
(04-08-2017 09:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 04:16 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  In 1993 my property taxes were $1300 + - , now it's $3300.

To be fair, that's only 4%/year increase.
Good point, but as the greater infrastructure demand is met, so there is an expanding taxable base of new comers. Why doesn't this expanded tax base cover the new need 100%? I'm not receiving 4% more services each year.

04-08-2017, 10:48 AM
(04-08-2017 09:46 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  To what do you attribute the change in taxes with your paycheck? Federal tax rates have not changed by anything close to what you are stating. Are you making the same wage as you did in the early 80's? In the same bracket, marital status, dependents, home ownership, college, etc? It just doesn't add up, sorry.

As far as real estate taxes, what is your property worth today compared to 1993? even with the bubble and pullback in prices during this decade, I'm sure you are significantly higher in FMV now compared to then, and taxes are based on the assessed value of the property. Teacher salaries aren't the same as in 1993 either, you know. It's called inflation and it doesn't ever (usually) go away. It's why we project such huge numbers needed for retirement assets when I'm talking to a client in their 40's. Today's dollars are certainly not equal to dollars 30 years from now.
True my income has increased causing the higher tax bracket. I guess I missed that obvious fact cause it doesn't spend like it would have back when. Funny how inflation only comes up short on the spending side.

This house has increased too so my good fortune does come with an added expense.
Good points. I can ease up on my lips a bit with your wisdom and insight.

[+] 2 users Like BackSlider's post
04-08-2017, 10:58 AM
dancefortwo ' Wrote:  We have a non professional politician in the White House right now calling it "a dump".

John Kennedy once said something to the effect that mothers want their sons to be the President but they don't want them to be a politician. The problem, as others have said, is the money floating all around politicians. It rains money in Washington DC and special intrest groups from all sides are handing it out.

Personally, I can endure his chit so much easier than what I see as his opponent was capable of as an "insider."

The media really hasn't dumped at all on the potential chit storm the DNC and HC is guilty of.
Passing it off as old news?