The Trump Impeachment Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-08-2017, 04:32 PM
RE: The Trump Impeachment Thread
(04-08-2017 03:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 02:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Presidential term limits are in there.

No they're not. It was an amendment passed after Franklin Rooseveldt's 4th term.

Which means that it's in the Constitution. Do you honestly believe that the Amendments aren't part of the Constitution? When the Supreme Court decides on free speech, religion, or other issues covered in the Bill of Rights or other Amendments, what is the verbiage? They call it "Unconstitutional."

Maybe you should drop them a line and tell them that amendments aren't part of the Constitution. Get with the Senate, while you're at it; their page on the Constitution mistakenly considers the amendments part of the document, too.
(Perhaps that's because such is implied by the term "amendment"? Beats me.)

Or, alternatively, simply learn how to write "I misspoke" and move on. Your choice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-08-2017, 05:54 PM
(04-08-2017 11:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 10:22 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  Good point, but as the greater infrastructure demand is met, so there is an expanding taxable base of new comers. Why doesn't this expanded tax base cover the new need 100%? I'm not receiving 4% more services each year.

Inflation has averaged 2.23% per year since 1993. Are you receiving 1.77% more services? Tongue
No. I got a red light ticket though.

You have to be odd to be #1.
04-08-2017, 06:02 PM
(04-08-2017 04:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 03:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it's more a very strong suggestion (not really Tongue) There are examples where one can exceed the 8 year mark...

Roosevelt served for nearly two decades. But I guess that was an extreme.

Said Amendment was adopted after Roosevelt's tenure (which was twelve years), and was adopted as a direct result of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sec...ution#Text

My point was more, it is possible for a Vice President to serve as president and later be elected twice and not be forced to quit because he's served "8" years.

Roosevelt was an extreme. And maybe made the right decision at that time.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-08-2017, 06:34 PM
(04-08-2017 06:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 04:24 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Said Amendment was adopted after Roosevelt's tenure (which was twelve years), and was adopted as a direct result of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sec...ution#Text

My point was more, it is possible for a Vice President to serve as president and later be elected twice and not be forced to quit because he's served "8" years.

Roosevelt was an extreme. And maybe made the right decision at that time.

Sure, I get it. I know there's provision for partial-term incumbency. Johnson could have run for a second full term.

I'm just saying that it is a term limit, and it is in the Constitution, is all.
04-08-2017, 06:43 PM
(04-08-2017 04:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 03:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No they're not. It was an amendment passed after Franklin Roosevelt's 4th term.

Which means that it's in the Constitution. Do you honestly believe that the Amendments aren't part of the Constitution? When the Supreme Court decides on free speech, religion, or other issues covered in the Bill of Rights or other Amendments, what is the verbiage? They call it "Unconstitutional."

Maybe you should drop them a line and tell them that amendments aren't part of the Constitution. Get with the Senate, while you're at it; their page on the Constitution mistakenly considers the amendments part of the document, too.

Or, alternatively, simply learn how to write "I misspoke" and move on. Your choice.

Whatever you say. If I need any advice advice, I'll be sure and ask.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Fun aside on the whole "term limits" thing, Mueller was quite an exception when he was asked to stay on again for a second term as FBI Director by President Obama, prior to Comey getting the job. The reason we have a 10 year limit on them normally is courtesy of Hoover running his own little empire and having dirt on everyone. Even then, a ten year term is a long amount by Washington standards (even Senators are at intervals of 6), because the FBI Director is supposed to be above and insulted from, politics.

Edit: I put the wrong Director the first time.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-08-2017, 06:59 PM
(04-08-2017 06:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  the FBI Director is supposed to be above and insulted from, politics.

Insulated?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-08-2017, 08:08 PM
(04-08-2017 06:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 06:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  the FBI Director is supposed to be above and insulted from, politics.

Insulated?

Yes , I bet. But then I find politics insulting most of the time. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-08-2017, 08:08 PM
(04-08-2017 06:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 04:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Which means that it's in the Constitution. Do you honestly believe that the Amendments aren't part of the Constitution? When the Supreme Court decides on free speech, religion, or other issues covered in the Bill of Rights or other Amendments, what is the verbiage? They call it "Unconstitutional."

Whatever you say. If I need any advice advice, I'll be sure and ask.

Why am I not surprised at your choice?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-08-2017, 09:49 AM
(04-08-2017 06:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Insulated?

(04-08-2017 08:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 06:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Insulated?

Yes , I bet. But then I find politics insulting most of the time. Big Grin

Gah, yes insulated. I wish I had caught that typo. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post